Fourtitude.com - Just bought new skis - first pair I've owned since the early 90's!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      '17 Outback, '15 Cruze, '18 Elantra
      01-19-2015 05:28 PM #1
      As my son has recently developed a serious interest in snowboarding, I've decided it's time for me to get back into skiing in a big way. I've gone a few times here and there - my last big trip was out to Copper Mountain in Colorado a few years ago, and this year I've been to some of the local PA hills a few times already. Getting tired of renting the built for newbs skis, so just ordered this package: http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packag...1737/clone.jpg. Reviews seem very good and I couldn't beat the price.

I'm a pretty aggressive adv/intermediate, and the last pair of skis I owned (K2 5500, 190cm) were great at the time. With the new tech and sizing guidelines, I went with 171cm. Now I just have to wait for them, go to the local shop for new boots and to get the bindings mounted. Can't wait to pass by the rental counter next time I head to the mountain!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      15 Outback 3.6R
      01-24-2015 08:19 PM #2
      K2 5500. A blast from the past. I bought a few pairs those on closeout in 207 length for $100/pair and use them as powder skis. That must have been 20 years ago before shaped skis or wide powder boards.

A 77mm waist Volkl will be fine in MASH (mid-atlantic ski hell) where you get a lot of groomed refrozen crunch. By today's standards, it's pretty narrow for a soft surface. I'm skiing an 88mm waist Salomon as my everyday ski and that's now considered a "front side" ski more appropriate for groomers and man made surface. People are now on gear so wide they barely leave tracks on powder days.

4. 01-25-2015 02:56 PM #3
      My everyday ski is 114 in the waist! they are surprisingly solid on groomers.

To be honest a pair like BrianC bought woud be fun on groomers.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      01-28-2015 11:39 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      K2 5500. A blast from the past. I bought a few pairs those on closeout in 207 length for $100/pair and use them as powder skis. That must have been 20 years ago before shaped skis or wide powder boards.
      Yep- I bought mine in 1984 I believe...here they are in all their red/white and blue glory! In fact I still clearly remember this ad in the ski mags, and we had this in a full sized poster when I worked in a ski shop in the mid 80's. I kind of wish I still had them - I'm sure I'd get all sorts of funny looks on the lift lines!

Last edited by BrianC; 01-28-2015 at 12:09 PM.

7. Member
      Cars
      Civic, RAV4
      01-29-2015 08:02 PM #5
      ^^No helmets, death is imminent.

8. Senior Member
      02-08-2015 11:35 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
      ... the last pair of skis I owned (K2 5500, 190cm) were great at the time ...
      Nice! I was just looking at the ski bag in the corner of the garage all covered in garage dust.

K2 Axis X skis in there which were bought to replace the Olin 931 skis I bought in 1986 when I started in industry and had some cash finally.
      Last edited by Cooper; 02-08-2015 at 11:39 AM.

9. Member
      Cars
      02-09-2015 05:50 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      Nice! I was just looking at the ski bag in the corner of the garage all covered in garage dust.

K2 Axis X skis in there which were bought to replace the Olin 931 skis I bought in 1986 when I started in industry and had some cash finally.
      Heh...I was a broke college student when I bought my K2s, but was working in a ski shop at the time, so I was able to take advantage of what was known as the 'pro-shop discount' on skis, bindings, and boots. IIRC this was something like 40% UNDER store cost. It was ridiculously cheap, but a great way for the gear manufacturer's to encourage the ski shop staff to use (and talk up) their gear.

Here's a vid from my first day on the new Volkls. Took a few runs to adjust to them, but by the end of the day, I was loving them! Great ski for the packed powder groomers of the MA.

That's my 13 y/o son in front of me the whole way down...not bad for just his third time ever on skis!

Cars
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 08 Yukon XL
      03-17-2015 07:54 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
      Yep- I bought mine in 1984 I believe...here they are in all their red/white and blue glory! In fact I still clearly remember this ad in the ski mags, and we had this in a full sized poster when I worked in a ski shop in the mid 80's. I kind of wish I still had them - I'm sure I'd get all sorts of funny looks on the lift lines!

I forgot about that ad, Chris Ryman is now a very good friend of mine!
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE