Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    1. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-22-2016 09:40 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by vettekid View Post
      Because it doesn't fit with the corvette mission of an achievable performance car for the normal man. Mid 40's is a lot...but it is achievable by many and is an amazing performance bargain art that price. With a base price approaching six figures thou aren't even inn the ball park for most.
      Rumors were going around that the Corvette would come in both front and mid engine versions, at least for a while. No, not just continuing the C7, but a new C8 with the engine up front as always. The mid engine car was to be the (obviously) more expensive car with the high performance variants. I don't know if those rumors aremstill floating around or not, but I thought I'd bring it up.

I suppose that would make Corvette a bit of a sub brand, which might be a good idea.

...But perhaps it might not.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-23-2016 01:57 AM #102
      Because it doesn't fit with the corvette mission of an achievable performance car for the normal man. Mid 40's is a lot...but it is achievable by many and is an amazing performance bargain art that price. With a base price approaching six figures thou aren't even inn the ball park for most.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
      We are in the era that an American 350hp hot hatch (Focus RS) will start at $35000+ USD. Corvette is always the king of American sport car. Chrylser has Dodge Viper around $100k. Ford has Ford GT around $400k! Nissan has GTR around $100k. Honda/Acura has NSX around $150k. Why the fxxk GM's top performance car has to be a cheap car? I think it is time for GM to "level up" the Corvette. I rather Corvette use quality and performance to beat its competitors instead of price. Especially the performance of GM's cheaper sporty car Camaro are getting closer. Corvette's competition should be Mercedes GT, new NSX, entry Ferrari/Lambo, Audi R8...

If you want cheap American sporty cars, go buy Mustang, Camaro or Challenger.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Cars
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      05-23-2016 03:32 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      We are in the era that an American 350hp hot hatch (Focus RS) will start at $35000+ USD. Corvette is always the king of American sport car. Chrylser has Dodge Viper around $100k. Ford has Ford GT around $400k! Nissan has GTR around $100k. Honda/Acura has NSX around $150k. Why the fxxk GM's top performance car has to be a cheap car? I think it is time for GM to "level up" the Corvette. I rather Corvette use quality and performance to beat its competitors instead of price. Especially the performance of GM's cheaper sporty car Camaro are getting closer. Corvette's competition should be Mercedes GT, new NSX, entry Ferrari/Lambo, Audi R8...

This. Some people just don't understand brand management, and what a halo car means to the rest of the line as far as prestige and leadership. Corvettes have always been "affordable performance" even though they carried a price premium over other Chevy products. GM brass know exactly what they're doing, and exclusivity needs to exist at some level in order to guarantee consumer lust for a model, with carryover to the rest of the line.

Edit: And here is an interesting little study of Corvette prices over the years, clearly showing 'Vette price premiums over the rest of the line. In days of $50,000 Camaros and $75,000 Mustangs, never mind lots of six-figure sports cars that have the performance to compete in this rarified field, a $100,000 Corvette shouldn't surprise anyone:

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/corvette-m...ble-dream-car/
      Last edited by Boogety Boogety; 05-23-2016 at 03:42 AM.

The Music city. Or The Motor City. What day is it?
      Cars
      2019 Nissan GT-R Premium, 2019 Cadillac XT4 premium AWD
      05-23-2016 10:11 AM #104
      A lot of speculation in the media from a price standpoint. I'll leave it at that. I wish that there had been more push from a design standpoint on this one. If your doing this, it has to be a home run. We'll see.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-23-2016 10:26 AM #105
      Why the fxxk GM's top performance car has to be a cheap car?
      Because it has been for 50+ years.

iain

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      05-23-2016 10:54 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post
      I wish that there had been more push from a design standpoint on this one. If your doing this, it has to be a home run. We'll see.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

8. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-23-2016 11:16 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      This is not a reason. It is like Hyundai had made POS Pony 30+ years ago, they should keep making cheap POS for the rest of their automotive history. something like Genesis car/brand should not be consider.

GM is not as rich as Honda or Toyota. GM probably cannot do some super expensive one off project like LFA or NSX. "Gradually level up" the Corvette line is a good way to make better Corvette in the long run. If BMW can "level up" the Mini brand, why the fxxk GM cannot "level up" Corvette?
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Cars
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '17 NPS50
      05-23-2016 11:24 AM #108
      This is not a reason. It is like Hyundai had made POS Pony 30+ years ago, they should keep making cheap POS for the rest of their automotive history. something like Genesis car/brand should not be consider.

GM is not as rich as Honda or Toyota. GM probably cannot do some super expensive one off project like LFA or NSX. "Gradually level up" the Corvette line is a good way to make better Corvette in the long run. If BMW can "level up" the Mini brand, why the fxxk GM cannot "level up" Corvette?
      That's what the Z06 and ZR-1 are...
      My Flickr // IG - @mwoodski
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt
      I have literally zero experience with snow, but it seems to me that if it was raining and there was slush/snow still on the ground, I'd just wash it away with the hose rather than using a shovel. Sure it may freeze overnight, but if it's already raining, it's already going to be wet and freeze anyway, right?

10. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-23-2016 11:25 AM #109

They can. The only question that remains is whether they should. Sure, each one will net a bigger profit, but how many will they sell? How much more will it cost in R&D? Can they justify two Corvettes?

I'm anxious to find out what happens and I think it's amazing that after decades of "the next Corvette is going to be a mid-engine car" it's even a real consideration. I suppose we'll all have to wait and see how everything pans out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

05-23-2016 11:45 AM #110
      There is a dangerous amount of overlap between the Corvette and Camaro today as it is. With the Camaro getting lighter and hosting the biggest, most powerful motors the General has on offer, the Corvette starts to look a little out of place, especially since it actually got heavier in the move from C6 to C7, not lighter. Switching the Corvette to mid-engined lets them play with the R8 and many other high performance exotics and not have to restrict the Camaro in any way, since it's FR layout will always set it apart from the Corvette with an MR layout.

We'll see if it all actually happens or not, but I honestly think the Camaro has simply gotten too good to let the Camaro team continue to improve their cars without limits right up on top of and over the Corvette. The Camaro even does all that with the added benefit of a small back seat, too. It's time for the Corvette to go MR so they can differentiate the cars more clearly.

05-23-2016 11:53 AM #111
      Unless the "mid-engined vette" has enough room for 2 golf bags, it's not going to sell. Seriously, the older retired guys who make up a big demographic also golf.

Can you fit much luggages into ANY mid-engined car?

Cars
      17 Mazda3 GT hatch 6MT -- Hers:2008 R350
      05-23-2016 12:21 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Test Drive III bitches!

YES!

Hard to believe these graphics were quite amazing at the time. I was able to play this on my 386 at an often frustrating refresh rate of 2 frames per second.
      I played this fairly recently using DOSBOX and everything moved so fast it was once again practically unplayable.

14. 05-23-2016 01:27 PM #113

The Z06 and ZR-1 absolutely destroy the LFA and NSX.

Sent from a time when Pluto was still a planet.

The Music city. Or The Motor City. What day is it?
      Cars
      2019 Nissan GT-R Premium, 2019 Cadillac XT4 premium AWD
      05-23-2016 01:42 PM #114

You are absolutely wrong if your alluding to the amount of of cash reserve and credit potential on hand as of this post. Toyota/BMW? Got me there.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-23-2016 01:59 PM #115

Are you not aware that Chevy already sells "leveled up" Corvettes, the Z06 and ZR1?
      iain

17. 05-23-2016 02:28 PM #116

uh... that's what Dodge tried with the Viper... how's that working out?

18. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-23-2016 02:45 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by RATHERSMART View Post
      uh... that's what Dodge tried with the Viper... how's that working out?
      Dodge builds a handful of specialty sports cars, in a factory that was originally designed to mass produce sedans or something. Corvettes are built in bespoke factory, that's optimized for low-volume production.
      The Viper has never had the mass appeal of the Corvette, due to the lack of an automatic transmission and due to the Dodge's relatively uncivilized interior (up until the current gen).
      Dodge is kind of a damaged brand, with no credibility or history at selling anything near $100K. Corvettes have sold north of $75K for the last two gens. Also, fully loaded Silverados, Suburbans, Tahoes, and Camaros probably all have higher top end prices than most anything on sale from the Dodge brand (besides the Viper). Chevy is a bit more credible and viable of a brand when it comes to higher price tags.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      05-23-2016 02:52 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      There is a dangerous amount of overlap between the Corvette and Camaro today as it is. With the Camaro getting lighter and hosting the biggest, most powerful motors the General has on offer, the Corvette starts to look a little out of place, especially since it actually got heavier in the move from C6 to C7, not lighter. Switching the Corvette to mid-engined lets them play with the R8 and many other high performance exotics and not have to restrict the Camaro in any way, since it's FR layout will always set it apart from the Corvette with an MR layout.

We'll see if it all actually happens or not, but I honestly think the Camaro has simply gotten too good to let the Camaro team continue to improve their cars without limits right up on top of and over the Corvette. The Camaro even does all that with the added benefit of a small back seat, too. It's time for the Corvette to go MR so they can differentiate the cars more clearly.
      corvette smokes the camaro in every possible way, besides a backseat.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

05-23-2016 03:59 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      corvette smokes the camaro in every possible way, besides a backseat.
      Keep banging your head, because you're wrong. The Z/28 easily outruns the Stingray in every documented test I've ever seen, and the Z/28 costs about the same as a Stingray with just a handful of options. Depending on track, even the old ZL1 would keep up with the Stingray. It's overlap both in dollars and in lap times.

Cars
      Twin Turbo Barge & Old Japanese Land Yacht
      05-23-2016 04:09 PM #120

Thats what the ZR-1 is for

base model is for Dave the middle manager who's kids are finally moved out, so they can collect on his desire for overpriced vette swag.

Jokes aside..... I don't know how they are going to keep a base model corvette near there normal price point developing this MR platform, but I guess that is why I don't work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post

[/url]http://speednik.com/files/2013/04/Corvette-pricing.jpg[/url]

I was wondering what this looked like when i clicked in the thread. It seems like this one will have to cost more, but I'm just a normal idiot assuming because anything MR seems to cost more unless it is a Toyota.

22. 05-23-2016 04:27 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      I was wondering what this looked like when i clicked in the thread. It seems like this one will have to cost more, but I'm just a normal idiot assuming because anything MR seems to cost more unless it is a Toyota.
      There's nothing inherent to a mid-engine platform that would drive a huge expense. It slightly complicates cooling, but that's about it. I think the reason they seem more expensive is that a MR layout tends to only get used on full-on sports cars for packaging reasons (the motor sits where you'd want a back seat to be) and dedicated sports cars usually carry a price premium.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      05-23-2016 04:37 PM #122
      Keep banging your head, because you're wrong. The Z/28 easily outruns the Stingray in every documented test I've ever seen, and the Z/28 costs about the same as a Stingray with just a handful of options. Depending on track, even the old ZL1 would keep up with the Stingray. It's overlap both in dollars and in lap times.
      absolutely correct, but the Z28 is dramatically pricier than a normal C6 corvette. the Z28 is very close to the Z06 pricing (80k-ish). in which case, the Z06 eats it alive in performance. don't get me wrong, the Z28 is an awesome car with true collector value and track capabilities.

a more fair comparison would be the ZL1 vs the C6 based on pricing.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

24. Member
      Cars
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      05-23-2016 06:33 PM #123
      Z28 has 305 r-compound tires at all 4 corners. It's basically a cheater car if you're limiting your testing to stock tires instead of comparing cars on equal tires. Z28 tires on a stingray will demolish a Z28.

05-23-2016 06:40 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      absolutely correct, but the Z28 is dramatically pricier than a normal C6 corvette. the Z28 is very close to the Z06 pricing (80k-ish). in which case, the Z06 eats it alive in performance. don't get me wrong, the Z28 is an awesome car with true collector value and track capabilities.

a more fair comparison would be the ZL1 vs the C6 based on pricing.
      That's talking about the old Camaro though; the new ZL1 and Z/28 are almost out, yet new versions of the Stingray could be many years away. The overlap is only increasing at this point. Going MR with the Corvette is a way to reduce overlap. I think they are smart to consider it.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      05-23-2016 08:14 PM #125
      That's talking about the old Camaro though; the new ZL1 and Z/28 are almost out, yet new versions of the Stingray could be many years away. The overlap is only increasing at this point. Going MR with the Corvette is a way to reduce overlap. I think they are smart to consider it.
      as long as the camaro is stuck with a backseat and like actual car like usability, it will always loose to a purebred like the vette. even if its left FR, its lower, better suspension, WAY less weight, shorter wheelbase, better aero, etc etc
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast