Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2019 GTI Rabbit DSG, 1992 Corrado SLC
      01-09-2015 12:06 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      I don't see anything that indicates it's mid engine from those two photos other than an assumption.
      If you had read the accompanying article, you'd be able to distinguish the gas cap on the driver's side B-pillar and air intakes on rocker panels.

Dare I throw this (kinda relevant) gem into play? The pictures of the test mule immediately evoked images of this in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      To be fair it's kind of Toyota's fault for pandering to people who don't give a **** about cars.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

01-09-2015 12:51 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      y'all getting excited for a mid engine Vette when really it'll end up being an El Camino
      Is that bad?

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      01-09-2015 01:11 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      y'all getting excited for a mid engine Vette when really it'll end up being an El Camino
      And that too would be incredible

Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post
      Dare I throw this (kinda relevant) gem into play? The pictures of the test mule immediately evoked images of this in my head.

And check out the new one!

In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Cars
      Volvo C30 6spd / Mazda5 5spd / '16 Subaru STI 6spd
      01-09-2015 01:56 AM #79
      People are using drones to take car spy shots now? Damn.

01-09-2015 02:00 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      And check out the new one!
      So it is possible to build an attractive Daytona prototype!

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      01-09-2015 03:38 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      This shouldn't be surprising.

The Corvette team has pretty much squeezed out all the performance/handling from the current configuration so the switch was inevitable if they wanted to keep upping the performance/handling capabilities.
      That's what they said about the 911...
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Cars
      03-19-2015 12:04 AM #82
      via Automobile
      Tadge Juechter, the Corvette program’s longtime chief engineer, casually dismissed speculation about a mid-engine C8 Chevrolet Corvette “Zora” on John McElroy’s “Autoline After Hours” last week.

Juechter and I were guests on the show, and I asked him about something I saw just days earlier during an episode of Velocity’s “AmeriCARna” that featured what it billed as a sneak peek of a possible mid-engine Corvette design.

“I’ll have to check that out,” he replied, straight-faced and relaxed. “Because I know no such car exists.”

Rumor and speculation that Chevrolet finally would move the Corvette’s small-block V-8 to just behind the seats began again anew (rumors of a mid-engine Corvette have been rampant seemingly forever) when our colleagues at Motor Trend reported it last August. Our friends and competitors at Car and Driver plastered all over their October 2014 cover, saying unequivocally that it was coming in 2017. Then just before January’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Car and Driver procured exclusive spy shots of what it said was a mid-engine Corvette mule using Holden Ute bodywork, with some C7 bits (the very definition of a mule).

AUTOMOBILE's editor-at-large, Art St. Antoine, offered up his take on the speculation in a sidebar to his Corvette Z06 and McLaren 650S feature under the title “The Corvette (probably) goes mid-engine” (May 2015). Art mentions Ford’s unveiling of the mid-engine GT set for late-2016 production and writes of the mule spy shots that “Chevy insiders aren’t swatting aside the giddy conjecture it’s caused.”

Now the Corvette chief engineer has officially swatted that speculation aside. But that still doesn’t explain the mule.

My wild rumor, conjecture, opinion ... it’s a Cadillac.

Here’s why I think it makes sense that the mule is indeed a Cadillac and not a Corvette:

-- Cadillac’s new president, ex-Infiniti chief Johan de Nysschen, said last fall that the brand needs sports cars. “We should also look at one or two sports cars that you buy for emotional reasons, not for practicality, but because they’re so sexy and fun to drive,” he told me in an interview. Obviously, all future products on his “wish list” had been in the works before he came to General Motors last summer. As Audi of America’s president from December 2004 to June 2012, he saw the effect the mid-engine R8 has had on elevating Audi’s position as a premium/luxury brand.

-- The C7 Chevrolet Corvette is only in its second model year. And it’s the best-performing, best-handling, best-balanced Corvette ever. Though not explicitly stated in the rumors and speculation, a Zora could be an additional model that essentially breaks Corvette off into its own brand, a move that would be so pre-2009 GM. But what would GM achieve by applying a Chevy, or Corvette, badge to a six-figure mid-engine sports car? Would it drain sales from the Z06 among rabid Corvette-o-philes who must have the best-performing model, or would it serve as a very low-volume halo to the Corvette, which already is a halo for Chevrolet?

-- The Ford GT is not a Corvette competitor. Nor will it compete with a $125,000-$150,000 mid-engine sports car. It will be produced in the hundreds and will be offered to a lucky few for at least $400,000. While GM has both Chevy and Cadillac badges at its disposal, try to imagine the GT as a Lincoln.

-- Cadillac has the budget. Or, at least, it did until Harry Wilson got his Wall Street cronies to force GM into a $5 billion stock buyback. When a caller to “Autoline After Hours” asked Juechter what he would do with Corvette if he had “carte blanche,” Juechter laughed at the idea of a billions-of-dollars budget. But when de Nysschen announced last fall that Cadillac would keep a separate set of books from the rest of GM (not unlike Audi operating as its own German AG, though under the Volkswagen Group umbrella), he told me, “When you’re a mainstream brand, then you’ve got to have very stringent criteria for the financial performance of each individual product. If you don’t manage your project before the process of conception, you’ll lose your pants. For Cadillac, some cars have to make volume for us, some cars have to make money, and some cars have to make image. … If you were to apply these very stringent financial criteria to individual projects, you’ll probably never do the halo cars. The way to measure it properly is to say, ‘Well, how did they help the pricing power on the rest of the cars?’ That’s their contribution.” In other words, Cadillac’s new accounting system will make it easier to green-light an exotic, high-priced, low-volume sports car as a way to elevate the value of its more mainstream products.

I must note that no one at GM has told me anything, on or off the record, about a mid-engine sports car, though one independent analyst told me at a recent auto show that the Cadillac theory is warming up as a rumor. Even de Nysschen remained vague and general when outlining his wish list for future Cadillac products. He never so much as whispered “mid-engine.” Nor did he talk about the positioning of “one or two sports cars.”

It should be clear, though, that Cadillac’s top sports car must be priced and positioned above any sports car Chevy markets, and it shouldn’t be diluted by having to share such a high-cost platform with Chevy.

The long-nose, front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout is as iconic to the Chevrolet Corvette as the rear-engine layout is to the Porsche 911. Even if the mid-engine rumors are nearly as old as the Corvette itself, the car’s layout shouldn’t change. Prove me correct, GM, and give us a mid-engine Cadillac sports car.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      03-19-2015 12:13 AM #83

definitely a corvette

03-19-2015 05:27 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      People are using drones to take car spy shots now? Damn.

Too funny. They had them flying around inside the Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium during practice for the recent Supercross racing last week. Cameras in those places definitely get some unique angles!

The world is Fiat.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      03-19-2015 05:44 PM #85
      Test Drive III bitches!

Cars
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      03-19-2015 05:54 PM #86
      Test Drive III bitches!

Nailed it.

13. 03-19-2015 05:56 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post
      There goes C7 Corvette sales.
      Perfect, prices will drop. Profit.

I adore the C7, 3LT spec for me, thx.

03-19-2015 06:39 PM #88
      Chevy is still following the defunct Pontiac! I love it.

SS sedan.

Mid engine sports...

[IMG][/IMG]
      The world is Fiat.

Cars
      BRZ
      03-19-2015 11:41 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post

That immediately came to mind for me as well

I'm hoping it's going to be a homologation special so they can race a mid-engine car in GT classes

Also, why does every mid-engine GM project always have to be a Corvette?
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/12]

Cars
      '03 BMW 330i
      03-20-2015 02:03 AM #90
      Test Drive III bitches!

I had that game, but my 286 couldn't run it. It always ran out of memory 30 seconds into the first stage and crashed.

Cars
      2013 GTI / 2017 GTI / 68 Chevy C10
      03-20-2015 06:51 AM #91
      At least they got rid of the Edsel tail lights
      2017 Mk VII GTI 2013 Mk VI GTI 1974 Kawasaki H2, 2008 Honda CRF150R

Cars
      2013 GTI / 2017 GTI / 68 Chevy C10
      03-20-2015 06:57 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The proportions suggest something very similar to a Carrera GT's layout:

It just doesn't get any better than that! ^
      2017 Mk VII GTI 2013 Mk VI GTI 1974 Kawasaki H2, 2008 Honda CRF150R

19. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-20-2015 07:37 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Also, why does every mid-engine GM project always have to be a Corvette?
      Well, it can't be a Buick.

Those newfangled LaCrosses are already confusing enough to old ladies!

Cars
      05-22-2016 06:52 PM #94
      via Car and Driver
      It’s time for an updated report on the mid-engine C8 Corvette, and here’s the game plan as we understand it from our impeccable source: The 2019 Chevrolet Corvette (code name: ZERV, perhaps chosen as an homage to Zora Arkus-Duntov’s 1960s mid-engine CERV concepts) will bow in production form at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2018 with a version of today’s pushrod V-8 engine delivering 450 to 500 horsepower. Expect a base price of approximately $80,000.

When volume production begins, presumably later in ’18, today’s C7 Corvette will expire, although there should be remaining stock for those who prefer the traditional powertrain layout used for more than six decades. The C7’s final hurrah will occur at next year’s 2017 NAIAS, when a swan-song mega-power edition debuts, possibly wearing the illustrious ZR1 badge.

A notable power upgrade to the C8 will occur in January 2019, attributable to a new four-cam, 32-valve V-8 set to be presented at NAIAS. That C8 surely will top $100,000. To continue building momentum, Chevy hopes to show, in 2020, a hybrid E-Ray Corvette—a term GM has trademarked—with electric front-wheel propulsion. C8 Corvettes may wear ZORA identification of some sort (such as ZoRa1) to pay homage to Zora Arkus-Duntov, the car’s spiritual godfather and mid-engine advocate from 1955 to 1975.

Experimental C8s currently reside in Building 54 (a.k.a. Area 54) at GM’s Milford, Michigan, proving ground. Since we nabbed aerial photos of one test mule two years ago, prototypes seldom leave the building during daylight hours. GM owns two Ferrari 458 Italias for benchmarking, and the company once had a McLaren in its benchmark fleet. Also owned by the General: a Nissan GT-R, two Porsche 911 Turbos, and a BMW i8, any of which may be being used to aid in C8 development. So focus your eye-in-the-sky cameras on coordinates 42° 35’ 11” N and 83° 41’ 10” W—in the event you hit pay dirt, remember Car and Driver is information central for all there is to know about the next-generation Corvette.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-22-2016 07:40 PM #95
      Damn, that sounds promising.

I think it's safe to say I'd be happy with the pushrods setup.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

22. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      05-22-2016 08:04 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The proportions suggest something very similar to a Carrera GT's layout:

Paul Walker (extra crispy editionTM) approves!
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-22-2016 09:17 PM #97
      via Car and Driver
      Expect a base price of approximately $80,000.
      That's almost 50% more than the current base price...
      iain

24. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-22-2016 09:23 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      That's almost 50% more than the current base price...
      Why not? see new NSX and Ford GT.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

25. 05-22-2016 09:30 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Why not? see new NSX and Ford GT.
      Because it doesn't fit with the corvette mission of an achievable performance car for the normal man. Mid 40's is a lot...but it is achievable by many and is an amazing performance bargain art that price. With a base price approaching six figures thou aren't even inn the ball park for most.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

26. Member
      05-22-2016 09:37 PM #100
      I don't buy it. You're telling me that the C7 is going to have a 5 model year run? I don't think so.
      First car: 1997 Jetta GT 2.0 with a slushbox
      Winter: 2004 Stage 2 Jetta NevAr lose edition with 5 speed manuél
      For fun: 2000 Camaro SS 6spd, 2000 Honda CBR600F4

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast