Fourtitude.com - BFI - 2.5l Clutch Kits & Lightweight Flywheels
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 45
    1. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      06-11-2014 03:27 PM #1



      It’s been our experience that finding a reliable clutch manufacturer is not always the easiest thing to do. Having a kit be “hit or miss” is not ideal for us as a retailer, nor is it something that we want for our customers. In light of this, we have sought out what in our opinion is a supplier who is able to meet our needs and offer us exactly what we, and ultimately our market wants in a clutch kit – reliability, performance, and value. Competition Clutch was able to provide us with specifically what we asked for.

      The materials used are tried and true, with a no frills approach. Competition Clutch does not use gimmicks, and they are already a well established name in the import performance industry. With lines and worlds blurring together, and expansion into the European side of things was a natural progression, and one we are looking forward to further cultivating.


      The Stage 1 Kit assembly provides an estimated 225-lbs/ft holding capacity and is properly suited for street use. The stock organic clutch disc is matched to a performance pressure plate that will provide smooth engagement and extended life.

      The Stage 2 Kit assembly provides an estimated 300-lbs/ft holding capacity and is properly suited for aggressive street use and moderate track use. The organic disc is matched to a performance pressure plate will provide smooth engagement and extended life.

      The Stage 3 Kit assembly includes a segmented ceramic material with a performance pressure plate will provide the ultimate in street and strip combinations. This assembly provides an estimated 400-lbs/ft holding capacity.

      The Stage 4 Kit assembly includes a 6-puck clutch disc with a performance pressure plate. This assembly provides an estimated 500-lbs/ft holding capacity and is properly suited for big turbo and strip applications.

      The Stage 5 Kit assembly includes a 4-puck clutch disc with a performance pressure plate. This assembly provides an estimated 525-lbs/ft holding capacity and is properly suited for big turbo and strip applications.



      Kits Include:
      • Performance pressure plate
      • Performance clutch disc
      • Lightweight 18.4lbs forged steel flywheel
      • All applicable bearings
      • Appropriate alignment tool
      • All hardware required for installation

      Note:
      • These clutch kits fit 2.5L Inline-5 engines with 5-speed manual transmissions only. Does not fit 02M 6-speed equipped vehicles!



      Last edited by [email protected]; 02-03-2016 at 05:42 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2010
      Location
      San Francisco Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      206
      Cars
      2012 Golf 2.5L
      08-26-2014 01:54 PM #2
      Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. Is this a single-mass kit?
      United Motorsports ECU Flash, APR Carbonio CAI/ Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight flywheel and Clutch/ Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+Transmission mount+Dogbone Insert/ 034 Motorsports RSB/ StopTech 328mm Big Brake Kit/ StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Line/ SuperPro Control Arm Bushing+Arm kit

    4. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      08-26-2014 02:09 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by madbikes View Post
      Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. Is this a single-mass kit?
      Yes. All of these clutch kits include a lightweight 18.4lbs forged steel flywheel.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 12th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, ON
      Posts
      1,885
      Cars
      2006 Static Sedan, 2002 GTI 337, 2006 CBR600RR
      09-04-2014 04:55 PM #4
      You guys gonna be at h2o and have some with you?

      Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

    7. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      09-04-2014 05:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by lessthanalex View Post
      You guys gonna be at h2o and have some with you?
      We'll definitely be at H2O, but I'm not sure what clutch kits we'll have available and be bringing with us.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 12th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, ON
      Posts
      1,885
      Cars
      2006 Static Sedan, 2002 GTI 337, 2006 CBR600RR
      09-04-2014 05:26 PM #6
      Okay sounds good. Guess I'll just have to wait and see! Still loving the shift knob I grabbed last year.

      Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2010
      Location
      San Francisco Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      206
      Cars
      2012 Golf 2.5L
      10-18-2014 03:26 AM #7
      Out of curiosity, is the sale ending anytime soon?
      United Motorsports ECU Flash, APR Carbonio CAI/ Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight flywheel and Clutch/ Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+Transmission mount+Dogbone Insert/ 034 Motorsports RSB/ StopTech 328mm Big Brake Kit/ StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Line/ SuperPro Control Arm Bushing+Arm kit

    10. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      10-23-2014 04:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by madbikes View Post
      Out of curiosity, is the sale ending anytime soon?
      Technically the promotion can end at any time. Do I think that's anytime soon? Probably not.

    11. 11-18-2014 02:32 PM #9
      I'm interested in this Kit but is hard to do it without any review on it. I think that would help everyone interested in this if BFI could have somebody already using this clutch give some feedback here! Me personally, wasn't able to find a single person running this setup, and never feels good to be the guinea pig!! Please give us some feedback from a costumer on your clutch

    12. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      11-18-2014 02:39 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuga86 View Post
      I'm interested in this Kit but is hard to do it without any review on it. I think that would help everyone interested in this if BFI could have somebody already using this clutch give some feedback here! Me personally, wasn't able to find a single person running this setup, and never feels good to be the guinea pig!! Please give us some feedback from a costumer on your clutch
      We had one of the Stage 3 clutches in our 2.5l Turbo Rabbit project car (I owned the car) and it was excellent!
      Seriously, it felt so good to have a "real" clutch back in the car.
      The pedal is heavier on the Stage 3 kits, but after a day or two of driving it was no big deal.
      Most of our customers will have Stage 1 clutch kits, so the pedal effort is not a concern here.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 11-24-2014 at 03:08 PM.

    13. 11-18-2014 09:50 PM #11
      I'm considering the stage 1, and that's the one I would like to get feedback on!! My questions are the usual on a smf clutch kit: Height of engagement point of clutch pedal? How is the pedal feel with the stage 1 compared to stock? And the most important one, How much smf clatter and gear noise with this kit?
      Is there anybody out there running a stage one Pete?

    14. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      11-19-2014 10:34 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuga86 View Post
      I'm considering the stage 1, and that's the one I would like to get feedback on!! My questions are the usual on a smf clutch kit: Height of engagement point of clutch pedal? How is the pedal feel with the stage 1 compared to stock? And the most important one, How much smf clatter and gear noise with this kit?
      Is there anybody out there running a stage one Pete?
      We've sold a few Stage 1 kits since these launched, but I don't have any published feedback to provide you. Hopefully those customers frequent this forum so that they can chime in.

      Here's my anecdotal account of the OE 2.5l clutch kit vs our kits which should help answer your questions..

      I bought my MK5 new from the dealer and up until that point I had only owned MK1, MK2 and MK3 vehicles. I loved everything about the MK5 except the clutch. It was way too soft, had a weird engagement point and just didn't feel like a "real" clutch. Slowly I got used to it, but I still hated the way it felt.

      Fast forward to 2012; I went turbo and needed a new clutch because the stock unit was constantly slipping. Upgrading the clutch not only resolved the slipping issue, but it felt like a "real" clutch again! Engagement point was exact and pedal feel was much improved; albeit heavy since I needed a Stage 3 kit, but even still, it was much better than stock. The SMF chatters a little bit, but it is tolerable for daily use and the performance benefits far outweigh the slight increase in drivetrain noise.

      tl;dr Our clutch kits feel like a "real" clutch and provide performance benefits over stock.

    15. Member WhatNoGarnish's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2007
      Location
      San Antonio
      Posts
      1,107
      Cars
      Golf 2.5
      11-24-2014 02:37 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      We've sold a few Stage 1 kits since these launched, but I don't have any published feedback to provide you. Hopefully those customers frequent this forum so that they can chime in.

      Here's my anecdotal account of the OE 2.5l clutch kit vs our kits which should help answer your questions..

      I bought my MK5 new from the dealer and up until that point I had only owned MK1, MK2 and MK3 vehicles. I loved everything about the MK5 except the clutch. It was way too soft, had a weird engagement point and just didn't feel like a "real" clutch. Slowly I got used to it, but I still hated the way it felt.

      Fast forward to 2012; I went turbo and needed a new clutch because the stock unit was constantly slipping. Upgrading the clutch not only resolved the slipping issue, but it felt like a "real" clutch again! Engagement point was exact and pedal feel was much improved; albeit heavy since I needed a Stage 3 kit, but even still, it was much better than stock. The SMF chatters a little bit, but it is tolerable for daily use and the performance benefits far outweigh the slight increase in drivetrain noise.

      tl;dr Our clutch kits feel like a "real" clutch and provide performance benefits over stock.

      Hey Pete,

      This is good to know, but I am still on edge about the chatter as well. I sat in a GTI with a forged aluminum flywheel with the AC on, and the chatter was horrible (I live in Florida so this is kinda important since its my daily).....

      I heard that forged steel flywheels don't chatter as bad, but if I invest in parts and labor go get a stg1 on and the chatter is unbearable, I would be bummed Has any 1.8T or VR6 dudes chime in on the kits yet?
      [Insert Mods Here]

    16. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      11-24-2014 03:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatNoGarnish View Post
      Hey Pete,

      This is good to know, but I am still on edge about the chatter as well. I sat in a GTI with a forged aluminum flywheel with the AC on, and the chatter was horrible (I live in Florida so this is kinda important since its my daily).....

      I heard that forged steel flywheels don't chatter as bad, but if I invest in parts and labor go get a stg1 on and the chatter is unbearable, I would be bummed Has any 1.8T or VR6 dudes chime in on the kits yet?
      There's really no comparison between an aluminum flywheel versus a steel unit.
      The aluminum wheel is going to transfer a lot more drivetrain noise.

      We've sold plenty of 1.8T and VR kits and the consensus is the same; there's some chatter, but it's tolerable for daily use.
      How much is or isn't tolerable is hard to quantify because opinions can vary from person to person.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2010
      Location
      San Francisco Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      206
      Cars
      2012 Golf 2.5L
      12-17-2014 01:22 AM #15
      Just received mine yesterday. Looks great!
      United Motorsports ECU Flash, APR Carbonio CAI/ Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight flywheel and Clutch/ Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+Transmission mount+Dogbone Insert/ 034 Motorsports RSB/ StopTech 328mm Big Brake Kit/ StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Line/ SuperPro Control Arm Bushing+Arm kit

    18. Member WhatNoGarnish's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2007
      Location
      San Antonio
      Posts
      1,107
      Cars
      Golf 2.5
      12-17-2014 11:01 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by madbikes View Post
      Just received mine yesterday. Looks great!
      Sweet, please review when you install it
      [Insert Mods Here]

    19. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-17-2014 11:04 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by madbikes View Post
      Just received mine yesterday. Looks great!
      Looking forward to your feedback.

      Quote Originally Posted by WhatNoGarnish View Post
      Sweet, please review when you install it
      Make sure you properly break it in first!

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2010
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      686
      Cars
      09 Rabbit 2.5T, 07 Audi S8
      12-18-2014 02:28 AM #18
      Also received the stage 4 kit last week or so (FSI). Will install when the 02q goes in, and will definitely leave a review here or in my build thread.

      The BFI and Competition Clutch components do appear to be nicely built.

    21. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-18-2014 10:06 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TrillyPop View Post
      Also received the stage 4 kit last week or so (FSI). Will install when the 02q goes in, and will definitely leave a review here or in my build thread.

      The BFI and Competition Clutch components do appear to be nicely built.
      No more 02G, eh?

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2010
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      686
      Cars
      09 Rabbit 2.5T, 07 Audi S8
      12-18-2014 10:51 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      No more 02G, eh?
      Eh, there's been some valve body/electrical related issues going on ever since it was 'built', and I/nobody can't figure it out. It's holding the car back significantly. So yea, opting out and going to the 6 speed.

    23. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-18-2014 10:57 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by TrillyPop View Post
      Eh, there's been some valve body/electrical related issues going on ever since it was 'built', and I/nobody can't figure it out. It's holding the car back significantly. So yea, opting out and going to the 6 speed.
      Damn, bummer. Well, three pedals are better than two anyway.

      Let us know how it feels once the clutch is broken in!

    24. 12-18-2014 10:57 PM #22
      Nice to finally see people coming forward installing a BFI clutch kit on 2.5's, I'll be watching closely for reviews, specially on stage 1

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2010
      Location
      San Francisco Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      206
      Cars
      2012 Golf 2.5L
      12-20-2014 04:52 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Looking forward to your feedback.
      On top of the clutch kit, strage 1 transmission mount and dogbone insert, I'm trying to save up to get the stage 1 engine mount, the Stabilia sway bars (both front and rear) and the labor to put everything in all at once. It'll take a while, but I'm looking forward to it.
      United Motorsports ECU Flash, APR Carbonio CAI/ Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight flywheel and Clutch/ Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+Transmission mount+Dogbone Insert/ 034 Motorsports RSB/ StopTech 328mm Big Brake Kit/ StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Line/ SuperPro Control Arm Bushing+Arm kit

    26. 02-15-2015 11:57 PM #24
      Bump... Sill looking for some feedback on these kit's from a customer... anyone???
      Last edited by Tuga86; 02-17-2015 at 06:29 PM.

    27. Guest pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      7,522
      Cars
      VW/Audi/BMW
      06-12-2015 12:34 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuga86 View Post
      Bump... Sill looking for some feedback on these kit's from a customer... anyone???
      We've sold many 2.5l clutch kits. Now we just need people to step forward with some reviews!
      Last edited by [email protected]; 02-03-2016 at 05:39 PM.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •