Fourtitude.com - Recommend any good fantasy book series? (aside from LOTR)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      06-06-2014 09:58 PM #1
      Other than LOTR related titles anyone have any favorite series or authors?

I recently completed the whole Wheel of Time series by reading everything from start to finish. Amazing to find little things I missed when I first read some of earlier books back in the 90's

I'm aware Brandon Sanderson (completed the WoT series after the later Robert Jordan) has his own series. Would love something along the same lines. Magic and mythical beats rather than outer space.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-06-2014 10:09 PM #2
      About 10 years ago I read all of Neil Gaiman's stuff.

American Gods was great. Anansi Boys and Neverwhere were also pretty solid. Stardust wasn't my favorite but was good. The Sandman collection was a good read also.

I don't read fiction for fun much anymore, but those books stuck with me which says something.

07-31-2014 04:02 PM #3
      David Eddings "The Belgariad", 5 books, followed by The Mallorean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belgariad

Best 10 book series Ive ever read.

Another good series that deals with fantasy/robots mixed is Piers Anthony's "Apprentice Adept" series.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      09-09-2014 01:10 AM #4
      A bit of a thread bump, but...

Sanderson's Mistborn series is awesome. Magical Heist Fantasy for Mistborn, seguing into Epic Fantasy for Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages.

If you want fantasy in a modern setting, try Seanan McGuire's October Daye series. Changeling private detective who applies police procedures and forensic methods to magical problems, with heroic fantasy action as well. There are six books out now, starting with Rosemary and Rue (the weakest of the lot) and going through Chimes at Midnight, and they keep getting better with each book. You don't have to read all of them, but you miss out on some great long-running character arcs if you don't. I love the Toby-Quentin dynamic as it grows, but Danny the bridge troll cab-driver is the best character ever.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      17' GTI , gone: 09 Honda Fit Sport, 03 MCS, 99 GTI VR6, 90 Civic Si, 91 SHO, 85 GTI, 79 RX7
      09-13-2014 10:28 PM #5
      Raymond Feist has a great series starting with Magician Apprentice, the new publications combine the first and second books into Magician. The books follow Pug and his friend Tomas. The scope is big with standard Humans, Elv's, Dwarfs fighting a war with another universe invading through a rift. The invaders use magic in a world similar to the medieval Japan.

Another series of books by S. M. Stirling follow the world that suddenly technology does not work, plunging the world into darkness. It's a great series spanning at least a dozen books.

Cars
      09-18-2014 12:29 PM #6
      I've been trying to come up with other fantasy series I've read, but I'm more often a single-book fantasy sort of person. I read lots of Sci-Fi series.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders books are excellent fantasy, pure fantasy at the start but mingling in a little sci-fi as the books delve into their rediscovery of their history. Two of the "ancient history prequels" are straight up space opera style sci-fi but they are still delightful.

Other suggestions in the more modern fantasy camp are Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books (he gets better with each one) and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series. The former is more sleuthy urban fantasy, the latter more kill all the things and save the world urban fantasy, but they're both great reads. Correia also has a three book fantasy series set in an alternate 1920s where magic is a relatively recent discovery. Starts with Hard Magic, good read as well.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

09-22-2014 11:36 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post

Other suggestions in the more modern fantasy camp are Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books (he gets better with each one) and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series. The former is more sleuthy urban fantasy, the latter more kill all the things and save the world urban fantasy, but they're both great reads. Correia also has a three book fantasy series set in an alternate 1920s where magic is a relatively recent discovery. Starts with Hard Magic, good read as well.
      I was just going to mention the Dresden Files.

Also John Dies at the End

11-27-2015 08:11 PM #8
      Steven R. Lawhead's Arthurian series, The Pendragon Cycle, is really really good. http://www.stephenlawhead.com/the-pendragon-cycle

Also his Robin Hood trilogy: the King Raven series: http://www.stephenlawhead.com/king-raven-trilogy

11. 02-26-2016 03:37 AM #9
      The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks is a must-read. It's alla bout fascinating magic set in an equally fascinating world. You won't be able to put it down till you turn the last page, that gripping a tale it is.

12. 07-31-2019 10:42 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Potts View Post
      Steven R. Lawhead's Arthurian series, The Pendragon Cycle, is really really good.my ip birthday wishes tneb]
      American Gods was great. Anansi Boys and Neverwhere were also pretty solid. Stardust wasn't my favorite but was good. The Sandman collection was a good read also.
      Last edited by amektura; 08-03-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Cars
      07-31-2019 11:28 AM #11
      Whoops, already suggested the Toby Daye books. Still excellent