Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
      Cars
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      03-10-2015 09:07 AM #76
      Our favorite bird made it to the front page of CNN today:

The Fastest Plane in the World

I'm watching you, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      03-10-2015 06:33 PM #77
      I recently read "God. Country. Notre Dame." by Father Ted Hesburgh, former ND president. He flew in an SR-71, and he gave a good write up on his experience.

Cars
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      03-17-2015 09:11 AM #78
      Brian Shul was a guest speaker at a conference I attended. He is a great speaker, and shared many stunning photos from his time flying the Blackbird. He had teh room captivated...but it was an easy audience...we are in the aviation industry.

He was selling his book after the conference, $225, signed. Seeing what they go for online, I should have bought it!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      03-17-2015 04:31 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGTIs View Post
      Awesome picture!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Cars
      1979 Dodge omni with VW engine, 1994 Subaru Loyale, 1992 VW jetta, 1993 vw Golf, 1998 Subaru outback
      03-22-2015 02:46 AM #80
      You are correct in saying that SR 71 is the fastest manned airplane, faster than the concorde. but here is the exerpt written by the pilot himself who flew the concorde.

Jock then told me about the time he was chatting to some pilots of the super-secret American spy plane, the SR71 Blackbird.

Now, the whole point of that amazing aircraft was that it flew way beyond the reach of other planes. Faster and higher, hidden away.

But one day, these guys said that their air traffic controller told them to get out of the way because there was a Concorde coming through. They couldn't believe it.

Peering out of one window, two American military pilots wearing space suits.

Peering out of the other perhaps, Joan Collins guzzling champagne - I'm guessing she was on the plane as she often was - I wonder if they waved?

nevertheless, the sr 71 and the Concorde both are beautiful airplane, stuff of legend and dreams. Its sad to see them sitting collecting dust in museums. Hope they will design another beautiful supersonic airplane again.

my two cents,

W

8. Member
      Cars
      '17 Chevy Bolt, '94 CBR1000F, '47 Stinson Voyager
      03-22-2015 07:26 AM #81
      ...But one day, these guys said that their air traffic controller told them to get out of the way because there was a Concorde coming through...
      Jock was lying, or Jock was on a taxiway.
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog |ights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Cars
      2008 Camry Wagon
      03-22-2015 05:15 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Jock was lying, or Jock was on a taxiway.
      Or Jock was tailgating a KC-135Q
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

10. Member
      Cars
      '17 Chevy Bolt, '94 CBR1000F, '47 Stinson Voyager
      03-23-2015 12:06 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post

If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog |ights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

03-24-2015 10:10 AM #84
      now THAT's funny.

Cars
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      05-29-2015 09:17 PM #85
      I'm watching you, Erik.

Cars
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      07-21-2015 01:58 PM #86
      I'm watching you, Erik.

Cars
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line, 2019 330xi M-Sport
      08-05-2015 04:01 PM #87
      Fun story that my buddy just forwarded over:
      http://finance.yahoo.com/news/107-fe...135422926.html

15. Member
      08-06-2015 01:29 PM #88

16. Member
      08-06-2015 01:31 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Fun story that my buddy just forwarded over:
      http://finance.yahoo.com/news/107-fe...135422926.html
      https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...lso-1719654907

“As a former SR-71 pilot, and a professional keynote speaker, the question I’m most often asked is ‘How fast would that SR-71 fly?’ I can be assured of hearing that question several times at any event I attend. It’s an interesting question, given the aircraft’s proclivity for speed, but there really isn’t one number to give, as the jet would always give you a little more speed if you wanted it to. It was common to see 35 miles a minute.

Because we flew a programmed Mach number on most missions, and never wanted to harm the plane in any way, we never let it run out to any limits of temperature or speed.. Thus, each SR-71 pilot had his own individual ‘high’ speed that he saw at some point on some mission. I saw mine over Libya when Khadafy fired two missiles my way, and max power was in order. Let’s just say that the plane truly loved speed and effortlessly took us to Mach numbers we hadn’t previously seen.

So it was with great surprise, when at the end of one of my presentations, someone asked, ‘What was the slowest you ever flew the Blackbird?’ This was a first. After giving it some thought, I was reminded of a story that I had never shared before, and I relayed the following.

I was flying the SR-71 out of RAF Mildenhall, England, with my back-seater, Walt Watson; we were returning from a mission over Europe and the Iron Curtain when we received a radio transmission from home base. As we scooted across Denmark in three minutes, we learned that a small RAF base in the English countryside had requested an SR-71 fly-past. The air cadet commander there was a former Blackbird pilot, and thought it would be a motivating moment for the young lads to see the mighty SR-71 perform a low approach. No problem, we were happy to do it. After a quick aerial refuelling over the North Sea, we proceeded to find the small airfield.

Walter had a myriad of sophisticated navigation equipment in the back seat, and began to vector me toward the field. Descending to subsonic speeds, we found ourselves over a densely wooded area in a slight haze. Like most former WWII British airfields, the one we were looking for had a small tower and little surrounding infrastructure. Walter told me we were close and that I should be able to see the field, but I saw nothing. Nothing but trees as far as I could see in the haze. We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field-yet; there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field. Meanwhile, below, the cadet commander had taken the cadets up on the catwalk of the tower in order to get a prime view of the fly-past. It was a quiet, still day with no wind and partial gray overcast. Walter continued to give me indications that the field should be below us but in the overcast and haze, I couldn’t see it. The longer we continued to peer out the window and circle, the slower we got. With our power back, the awaiting cadets heard nothing. I must have had good instructors in my flying career, as something told me I better cross-check the gauges. As I noticed the airspeed indicator slide below 160 knots, my heart stopped and my adrenalin-filled left hand pushed two throttles full forward. At this point we weren’t really flying, but were falling in a slight bank. Just at the moment that both afterburners lit with a thunderous roar of flame (and what a joyous feeling that was) the aircraft fell into full view of the shocked observers on the tower. Shattering the still quiet of that morning, they now had 107 feet of fire-breathing titanium in their face as the plane levelled and accelerated, in full burner, on the tower side of the infield, closer than expected, maintaining what could only be described as some sort of ultimate knife-edge pass.

Quickly reaching the field boundary, we proceeded back to Mildenhall without incident. We didn’t say a word for those next 14 minutes. After landing, our commander greeted us, and we were both certain he was reaching for our wings. Instead, he heartily shook our hands and said the commander had told him it was the greatest SR-71 fly-past he had ever seen, especially how we had surprised them with such a precise maneuver that could only be described as breathtaking. He said that some of the cadet’s hats were blown off and the sight of the plan form of the plane in full afterburner dropping right in front of them was unbelievable. Walt and I both understood the concept of ‘breathtaking’ very well that morning and sheepishly replied that they were just excited to see our low approach.

As we retired to the equipment room to change from space suits to flight suits, we just sat there-we hadn’t spoken a word since ‘the pass.’ Finally, Walter looked at me and said, ‘One hundred fifty-six knots. What did you see?’ Trying to find my voice, I stammered, ‘One hundred fifty-two.’ We sat in silence for a moment. Then Walt said, ‘Don’t ever do that to me again!’ And I never did.

A year later, Walter and I were having lunch in the Mildenhall Officer’s club, and overheard an officer talking to some cadets about an SR-71 fly-past that he had seen one day. Of course, by now the story included kids falling off the tower and screaming as the heat of the jet singed their eyebrows. Noticing our HABU patches, as we stood there with lunch trays in our hands, he asked us to verify to the cadets that such a thing had occurred. Walt just shook his head and said, ‘It was probably just a routine low approach; they’re pretty impressive in that plane.’

Impressive indeed.”

Cars
      1979 Dodge omni with VW engine, 1994 Subaru Loyale, 1992 VW jetta, 1993 vw Golf, 1998 Subaru outback
      09-05-2015 12:21 AM #90
      Sweet story. would love to be the one who saw that fly past!

Cars
      2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8T, 1987 Scirocco 1.8T, 1987 Vanagon Westfalia, 1973 Maule M4-220C
      09-22-2015 12:59 PM #91
      Just got back from Reno with another souvenir

Cars
      94 Golf
      10-04-2015 11:12 PM #92
      Nice little talk with one of the pilots of the SR-71. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

http://omegataupodcast.net/2012/03/9...71/#t=4:29.234

Cars
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      10-10-2015 10:26 AM #93
      Engine housing opened up:

I'm watching you, Erik.

Cars
      2012 Golf TDI, 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
      10-19-2015 07:13 PM #94
      I've got some really good pictures of the SR-71 and D-21 from Evergreen Air Museum in Oregon. I'll post them ASAP.

Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      12-18-2015 12:00 PM #95
      Stumbled across this video. Doesn't really present new info but figured it should be in here.

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

23. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      12-19-2015 12:00 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by wrldtraveller View Post
      You are correct in saying that SR 71 is the fastest manned airplane, faster than the concorde.
      While faster than Concorde (which wasn't particularly fast), the record still belongs to X-15.

SR-71 was built so it could outrun Mig-25, which to this day remains the fastest interceptor (loudest thing I've ever heard in my life).

Cars
      2008 Camry Wagon
      12-19-2015 08:47 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      While faster than Concorde (which wasn't particularly fast), the record still belongs to X-15.
      X-15 was a rocket though, wasn't it?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Cars
      2013 Civic SI
      12-19-2015 05:42 PM #98
      The Blackbird family of aircraft are the fastest air breathing aircraft. The X-15 was a rocket plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      12-20-2015 05:19 AM #99
      X-15 was a rocket though, wasn't it?
      Well, he WAS talking about a manned aircraft that didn't fly into space.

Cars
      2012 Golf TDI, 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
      12-22-2015 12:59 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post

SR-71 was built so it could outrun Mig-25, which to this day remains the fastest interceptor (loudest thing I've ever heard in my life).
      You have that backwards. The Mig-25 Foxbat was developed to intercept the SR-71. The Blackbird was designed, built, and in service before the Mig-25.

And technically, the armed version of the SR-71 (YF-12) was, and still is, the fastest interceptor made. Although, it was never officially put into service and was only a prototype. Too bad.....it would have made one hell of an interceptor.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast