Fourtitude.com - Good news? Cadillac ATS Manual Transmission Take Rate = 5%
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      02-11-2014 02:10 PM #1
      Cadillac's ATS in manual transmission guise has a pretty impressive take rate of 5%. This thread over in TCL has some good material in it as well, pointing out that 44% of BMW M series cars are manuals and an estimate that about 10% of Audi's A4/S4/A5/S5 models sold are manuals as well.

https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...on-take-rate-5

From USA Today, Manual Transmissions making a comeback: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.Uvpz6PldUt5

"But the first quarter this year manuals were in 6.5% of new vehicles sold, and that's getting close to double each of the past five years. It's also highest since 7.2% in 2006, according to Edmunds.com.

That high "take rate," as the industry calls it, is even more impressive because just 19% of the 2,360 different models on sale offer manuals, Edmunds.com reports. Five years ago, 29% of the 2,391 available styles did — yet only 2.9% were sold with stick shifts that year, the lowest "take rate" in a decade"

"At Ford Motor, for instance, demand for manuals in the redesigned Focus compact is running close to 10%. "We were planning around 4%, 4.5%," says Paul Russell, Focus marketing manager. In March, Ford even began offering a stick in the high-end Titanium versions of Focus, after having forecast that those higher-income Titanium buyers wanted only automatics."

Let's hope Audi sees the light and brings us an A3 and S3 with the manual transmission in subsequent model years.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      3.2L A4 avant 6 spd manual
      02-11-2014 03:19 PM #2
      OMG Travis. 5-10 percent? I would bet the S3 would be above 10 percent take rate. I still can't believe they aren't bringing the S3 sedan in a manual transmission.

Cars
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      02-11-2014 04:23 PM #3
      I read somewhere that in the early 2000's manual sales were about 3.5% and decreasing. It's good to read that it's higher now.

One advantage of having a manual transmission is that many car jackers and thieves can't drive a stick and will go looking for an automatic.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2008 Cayman S, 2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      02-11-2014 04:30 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mike3141 View Post
      I read somewhere that in the early 2000's manual sales were about 3.5% and decreasing. It's good to read that it's higher now.

One advantage of having a manual transmission is that many car jackers and thieves can't drive a stick and will go looking for an automatic.
      I'll take my chances with having a car they can drive. The likelihood of a) being shot anyway or b) being forced to drive them instead of them just taking off with the car is pretty high around here.

On the surface, this looks like good news for manual transmissions.
      Ride In: 2008 Signal Green Cayman S Sport 378/700 .:. 2006 Plat Grey GLI .:. 2008 Sage Green Rabbit
      Ride On: 2010 Trek 2.1 .:. 2011 Fisher Cobia