VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Seat Leon Streetlegal Supercopa with TTRS Engine, Sequential Gearbox and 4Motion

27K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  endhyr@hotmail.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Seat Leon is now an VW Golf mk2 with, TTRS Engine, Seq. Gearbox, 4Motion

Hello,

I'm not new on this forum but it was a long time ago that I was active here.
After I have sold my Golf mk2 Hobby car for a half year ago I started an new project for myself.

I'like to share my Seat Leon 1P Cupra what I built for the Time Attack but Street legal.

My Name is Wilco and I live in the Netherlands. I have an small Company but this car is my private hobby car. Ofcourse I'll hope that I can learn a'lot from building this car and it's usefull for me as Company but I built this car as private in my freetime like the evenings and Saturdays.

I have sell my hobbycar for a half year ago what I has for 14 years.
Now it was time for simething new and I like the Seat Leon a'lot. They also have the Supercopa what is an very nice and good car for race.

I built my Leon as Supercopa but with complete different technic as you can read below :)

This was my hobby car before I started with my Seat Leon:

- I allready have an originel Supercopa body what I bought for more than 1 year ago but this is not streetlegal and don't have any number and licence plates. Am this reason I started 1 year later with an original Leon Cupra:

I still have this Supercopa body so I can use it to change the original Cupra body so the Supercopa body-parts will fit.

This is the Original Seat Leon Cupra what I use as basic and is my Project car:

The Engine is from the TT-RS and have the Turbo, Injectors and fuelpump from Loba Motorsport. The Map is from JD Engineering and have now 501ps with 629Nm.
I will put in other pistons and rods and the cilinderhead goes away for CNC Porting and other Valves. I'm not sure if I will race with the Loba or that I want the bigger set from APR but this is much more expensive so I'm not sure yet. Some pictures from the engine:

We are busy with the divelopment from a set for extra injectors what is much better for more fuel and cooling the inlet valves:

2 Original TT-RS carbon covers what can order as option and are original Audi Parts:

The Gearbox what I use is from Kaps and is an 02M Sequential 6-Speed Gearbox:

I'm workig on the car but only in my free time so it take some time before it finish:

See less See more
#34 ·
Thank you, and yes but there is an long way to go for when I'm ready with this car :)

Because the rear axle is from an TTRS I must change the front also. After a lot thinking etc, I have order the TTRS wheel hubs and I think that I have find the right solution:

I work also on the body-kit because I must modify the body for this:

And I'm still busy with removing all rubber for a while :rolleyes:

#37 ·
Cleaning the car from all rubber is a lot work but I still go on :)

There is an little progress with the TT-RS engine.

I have order some nice parts from the TT-RS Race car for change the Pouly belt without Airco Pump:

This is my Hobby car and al parts et was also in my workplace so we are busy with another place for my hobby-car and parts etc :)

#40 ·
Lots!

Yes, this is an very expensive sequential Gearbox. I will tell you honor that the Gearbox have cost 11.790 Euro ex
The leveler have cost 1290 Euro and the bracket on the Gearbox 380 Euro :facepalm:

Total exclude VAT it cost 13.460 Euro = 18.189 USD ex :confused:

I can tell you that I have sold my blue Golf (what you can see in the begin) for the same Money as I have buy this gearbox. I have work 11 years on this car so you can see this as I have work 11 years for this gearbox :screwy:

My dream is to built the an extreem VAG track car for Time Attack, but it will need more than 1 year at now before we can start with the testdrive. I must work hard for can pay this car and there are no hollidays for me eather :)

#42 ·
Hi! Loving what you are doing!

I was researching this gearbox, and noted it came with a front diff. I presume you are not using that and mating it with 4motion?

I am considering the gearbox for my Audi S1 and wanted to know how complicated it might be to get this gearbox to work with it's existing Quattro!?

Many thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 · (Edited)
We are busy with figure out the Berg Cup rules and an Turbo engine must calculate with 1.7 so the TTRS engine is in the class from the 4250ccm what is an big problem.

I'm busy now with figure out what is the best and strongest VW 2.0L engine and it was an suprice for me what is coming out.

I want between the 500 and 600ps with around the 700NM Torque what is not easy to get from an 2.0ccm Engine.

On my searching I came out of the Rally Cross where they drive with this big ps and a lot torque.

I find an document from Carlos Sainz what drive with the new Polo RX. It's was very hard to find some pictures from the engine, but I know why now ;)

They still driven with the 1.9TDI engine with the 16V ABF cylinder head. This car have 600ps with 850Nm and with an distriction from 45mm what is install before the Turbo.

And yes, it is an ABF :D

I have buy some parts for figure out why this is that good. The fastest German mk1 Drag car do have the same but nobody want let now what they have done exactly and why [:[]

The 1.9D engine:

This engines do have more material between the cylinders why it is stronger. They have also cylinder head bolds from M12 and not M10 like all patrol cars. The crank is cast and much stronger etc etc.

The cylinder head don't have the best flow but the ABF is an good balance between very strong and 4 valves for every cylinder. There are also a lot different and strong cams available and it's easy to make this mechanical. For an better Flow it can be make better with CNC machine.

The 20V and the new 16V TFSI are good but not strong enough. This ABF cylinder head with the 1.9D engine, crank and bearings can hold more than 4bar Turbo Pressure and can drive up to 9000rpm and I know people that run 9700rpm but as Diesel for the mini Tracktor Pulling :)

I have also done some work on mu car:

#45 · (Edited)
You really need a new thread title! ;)

Interesting idea putting the ABF head on a TDI block. Is that engine from a transporter? Dipstick tube on the back suggests its not from a Golf...
Worth noting that the AHU / AFN block from the B5 A4 and Passat has a much thicker flange around the sump than the Golf version so probably even stronger.

Do you keep the TDI crank and bore to stay at 1.9L or bore it out a bit?

#46 · (Edited)
Hello, For this cilinder head I use the older 1Z Diesel engine because I don't have to change the oil holes in the cylinder head.

The newer engines like the AHU and the AFN do hove more Oil holes into the engine like the newer patrol engines.

The 1Z engine do have an very strong forged crank and because the bore is not big there is a lot material between the cylinders so this is stronger. For holding this strong as possible I bore only 0,5mm bigger so it is perfect round and with the correct measurements for the pistons.

The Cylinder head bolds are M12 from the diesel engine while all patrol engines have M10 Bolds. I must bore them a little bit bigger in the ABF cylinder head so this will fir perfect. The Diesel gasket is stronger also and the Crank bearings the same story :)

It is not about the best flow etc, but it goes about the strength so is can handle 4 bar pressure what is better than an engine with an good flow and can only handle 2,5 Bar like the 20V cylinder head what will crack/brake.

The sputter bearings are very hard but when the pressure is very high they will eat the crack while the stock Diesel bearing don't have problems. maybe I have to change them more but they are easy to change from below and it's always better than an crank with damage.

My English is not good, so It's hard to explain for me.

The 2014 Polo RX (Rallycross) is build with an ABF on the AHU or AFN crank but I don't want to weld some holes into the cylinder head etc.

The Fastest mk1 from the German with 1151ps do have the same but no one tell this because it's easy and not expensive to build.

I let CNC machine the Cylinder Head and I use other pistons and rods etc. I don't use the original water pump but an electric pump with the radiator in rear from the car. I want put this on the Sequential Kaps gearbox what can handle 800Nm.

After a lot thinking and the experience what I have I come to this as best solution for building an good and strong 2L engine :)

There is another German that have 850ps with an stock ABF Cylinder head and this is only because it is very strong and can hold a lot Turbo Pressure.

When you calculate etc the best flowing cylinder head etc it will end around the 300ps, for more ps the flow must forced with a lot turbo boost so the flow is less important than. Of course I want everything good as possible, but it's important to start with an engine what is very strong.

#51 ·
This is an AHU for reference :) 'scuse the slight melty-ness of number 2 :D

and the flange I was talking about:

This is much more substantial than the Golf version which follows the outline of the sump closely. I think this gives the Audi / Passat versions more torsional strength, although not sure why the need it.

:beer:

#52 ·
Head bolts:

Top is the standard 1Z / AHU / AFN bolt - 10.9 grade. Bottom is the PD150 bolt - longer and 12.9 grade, same thread. These are an upgrade for the AFN by cutting them to length and swapping the washer from the AFN bolt. I reckon these are the key to bolting the 16V head to the TDI block, unless of course you have custom studs made :)

Crank gear is an interesting challenge, as the diesel and petrol crank noses are different so the sprockets don't easily swap over. Been looking at this for running a TDI crank in a petrol block, although I actually prefer your way of doing it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.