VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My MK3 GTD Build in Pictures

14K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  dextervw 
#1 ·
how it all began: The test mule (circa 2009)

the previous incarnation towing the newly caged chassis home from Cagethis.com (2009ish)

The car really didn't receive much work for the first few years as I went through a divorce, 5 moves (one across country) and a bunch of other stuff.. but
Then I rebuilt the motor, a 1.9 TDI AHU with some fancy Nural Pistons and a sweet port and polished head and manifolds

Eventually it was time for a new roof

A raised shifter

And Paint!!

Then some seat were installed

and some more engine building

and chassis prep/suspension install

See less See more
#2 ·
and more....

and finally the engine was installed in the chassis

and it was assembled as I could get it in a day

but because i was doing this (moving back to New England)

along the way this happened

which lead to this

and a long set back of $$, so i toiled away with this

until i eventually dug the beastie out from hibernation for some of this

until my landlord called it a demo derby car and asked that I remove it before the neighbors complained... so off to a new home she went

and then a bunch of stuff happened :-D
I took the brakes off the car i bought for my GF to start racing in

I got a completely new cooling system

and started installing parts as they came

I made some VW to Subie adapters

and bolted up some rocking wheels

and I continue to rock forwards as fast as I can being an hour and a quarter from my garage

#5 ·
1 engine bay looks awesome
2 sweet coupe!
3 like the idea to run 5x114
4 what o2a are you running?

your miles ahead of me!
Thanks so much!

Its actually 5x100.. but close enough. WRX wheels etc are now a direct bolt on :-D

Its the standard o2a that came with the TDI's with the addition of a KAAZ diff. You'd want to rock an early mk4 Jetta o2a... I did when I ran an ABA...super strong.

#11 ·
First stage rally is yet to be determined (funny how you can't afford an event after you've built a car for said event) but early next summer is the plan come hell or credit card :laugh:

Its first event will be a highspeed autox event this coming weekend and then if nothing breaks I hope to take it to a rallyx on Nov 1st in VT.

I can't wait!

Not only for the beast of a car this is, but because it actually fits me. I'm 6'4" and finding a car i actually can comfortably race with a helmet on is quite a treat.

Thanks for the support and kind words everyone!

Dave

#12 ·
First stage rally is yet to be determined (funny how you can't afford an event after you've built a car for said event) but early next summer is the plan come hell or credit card :laugh:

Its first event will be a highspeed autox event this coming weekend and then if nothing breaks I hope to take it to a rallyx on Nov 1st in VT.
Keep the thread updated with photos, etc. Curious to see how it all goes for you.

Not only for the beast of a car this is, but because it actually fits me. I'm 6'4" and finding a car i actually can comfortably race with a helmet on is quite a treat.
I can only imagine! At 5' 11" I have enough trouble in some cars, especially if they have a sunroof.

#13 ·
I definitely will. The even was fantastic fun, the car was well planted and pretty well sorted.. that was till my last run when the camber plates and upper spring perches had a small disagreement which ended up snapping my strut.

No huge deal and I was happy to find it here instead of 2 miles into the first stage of a rally. A quick strut rebuild and some updates to the camber plates and we'll be back in business.

The other things I need to sort are:
Rear beam bushings
Slightly higher EGT's that I would like to see
Tires
Driver (still a little rusty.. but man did this car help with that. Finally something connected to my brain! )

More pics from the even coming as soon as they are published.

#16 ·
I'm currently running the KKK 15 turbo and a set of Nural Race pistons (really cool cooling passages built in so the oil squirters squirt oil INTO the piston. They might still be available from Nural and I think they where used as a stock piston on other TDI (non AHU) motors)

Lower piston in pic

#21 ·
Internally until you look at the cam plate. The plate on the 1z (and its non ribbed case) is only good for 15000psi. Where as the AHU pump (ribbed) has a plate to make it run at 16,500 psi. I've done all my tuning, injector tweaking and sizing based on the AHU pump. The drop in 10% has messed with the timing (causing the secondary stage in the injectors to fire up to 15 degrees late) and spray pattern of the injectors (pp520's) Really with 20psi, pp520's and stock turbo I shouldn't be seeing more than 1400 on a long pull... i'm at 1700 before I've left 3rd.

#22 ·
I'm shooting for just under 300 whp, which is the limit of the turbo, I'm going to add nos later as well. I didn't realize that the 1z pump had a lower pressure. This motor made 180 whp in my mkii with a 17/22, and only head studs. Hoping to actually have traction with Quattro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.