Fourtitude.com - 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla manual transmission
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU
      11-26-2013 04:23 PM #1
      I have a friend of mine that has a 2005 Corolla with a manual and about 90k miles on it. A couple of days ago something happened in the transmission where the car wouldn't move anymore (her words). The shop she took it too said that the trans is done and she will need a replacement to the tune of $3500.

I'm trying to get some information on any issues that there may be on these transmissions and, when it's replaced, what parts need to be updated so it won't happen again. Thanks for the info.

Model of said car:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      11-26-2013 04:35 PM #2
      Sounds like clutch master and/or slave cylinder or throwout bearing, maybe broken clutch cable. not a broken transmission.

^-- none of that hshsh even costs $1000, even at the dealer

Cars
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      11-26-2013 04:36 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post
      Sounds like clutch master and/or slave cylinder or throwout bearing, maybe broken clutch cable. not a broken transmission.

we need to see pics of her too see how much of a risk she is at being taken advantage of

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU
      11-26-2013 04:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post

I thought about one of the cylinders but I can't look at the car myself so it's up to her mechanic to sort it out. I just want to give her some information to arm herself with.

What I've read since I posted this is that many of the manual transmissions in the 2003-2008 Corolla's and Matrix's have a faulty or poor quality input shaft bearing that can go bad causing the transmission to lock up. I'm not sure how common of a failure this is since the internet can blow things out of proportion.

If you want to see a picture of her just google "girl with white corolla". Her picture is somewhere in the first 100 results.

6. 11-27-2013 08:38 AM #5
      It does sound like a master / slave issue. Are these hyrolic or cable clutches?

The bearing you speak of is that in the tranny or are you talking about the piolot bearing.

3500 with labor a new clutch and a rebuilt tranny sounds about rite as far as cost to me.

7. Member
      11-27-2013 02:11 PM #6
      This happened to a friend of mine's '03 with 230k kms on it a few weeks ago. He is livid, and believes that Toyota should be replacing it for free, because "it happens to a lot of them." Some bearing, probably the input shaft, failed. He didn't know enough to say. He even reported it to Transport Canada (Canadian equivalent of NHTSA).

tl;dr Probably does need a new trans, demand a new Corolla XRS