Fourtitude.com - Finally went Electric with a 2013 Ford Focus Electric (FFE)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      11-22-2013 10:13 AM #1
      Well I finally did it and leased a 2013 Ford Focus Electric. I've had the car for a few weeks and thought I would finally post a short video of the car focused on the dashboard interface.

Sorry it is a little shaky since I'm using my cell phone.

So far I really like the car and how quiet it is. The seats are comfortable and it feels quick and has no problem going highway speeds.

If you have any questions about it please let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-22-2013 10:16 AM #2
      Congrats on the car And kudos for your environmental consciousness

4. 11-22-2013 10:19 AM #3
      Great car!

My wife just picked up a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi and it has a similar interior and light-up charging port. In a way, very similar except it is not 100% electric. Still, it drives 21-23 miles on pure electricity.
      It is dead quiet like the Focus. The only way you know the engine is one is with the green car icon on the dash. It is totally weird to drive with zero ICE engine noise.

What 240 charging system are you using? I'm thinking about a Sneider or GE from Home Depot.

Both are great cars and it got me thinking of going pure electric for just a commuter. Either the Spark EV, Fiat 500E or the Focus. It depends on the incentives and lease deals. I'd be good with just 80 mile range.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      11-22-2013 10:45 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Ripper1 View Post
      Congrats on the car And kudos for your environmental consciousness
      Thanks yes I'm somewhat environmentally conscious but the key was convincing my wife which was based on the financial cost of running my Xterra with 100,000 miles the lease and electricity will cost less when compared to gas not to mention any repairs or maintenance on the Xterra.

Quote Originally Posted by chronoguy View Post
      Great car!

My wife just picked up a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi and it has a similar interior and light-up charging port. In a way, very similar except it is not 100% electric. Still, it drives 21-23 miles on pure electricity.
      It is dead quiet like the Focus. The only way you know the engine is one is with the green car icon on the dash. It is totally weird to drive with zero ICE engine noise.

What 240 charging system are you using? I'm thinking about a Sneider or GE from Home Depot.

Both are great cars and it got me thinking of going pure electric for just a commuter. Either the Spark EV, Fiat 500E or the Focus. It depends on the incentives and lease deals. I'd be good with just 80 mile range.
      I looked at the C-Max and Fusion Energi models but decided I could go all electric since it would be a third vehicle. I now love driving without any noise and the pickup is pretty decent. Although I think it could use better tires to put the power down as they seem to slip a lot especially in the rain.

I haven't really looked at charging stations as I can charge for free at work and a lot of the garages in the city have chargers and typically I can charge all night. I might get one a little later if my wife starts driving it more as she will probably feel more comfortable with a full charge.

6. 11-22-2013 10:57 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      Thanks yes I'm somewhat environmentally conscious but the key was convincing my wife which was based on the financial cost of running my Xterra with 100,000 miles the lease and electricity will cost less when compared to gas not to mention any repairs or maintenance on the Xterra.
      In California, leasing an electric cars make sense if it falls in your commute.

For example, there are some $999 down and $199 a month leases. The Fiat 500E gets a $2500 California rebate for three year lease. That makes the lease payment, in effect, $130 a month.
      $199 X 36 months = 7164 - $2500 CA rebate = 4664 (actual cost of lease in three years). 4664 / 36 months = $129.55 a month.
      If you can get free charging at work (or public) then you have literally zero maintenance cost. I know some guys who drive leafs and never charge at home. They charge at work and it makes the round trip.

My current car, a Range Rover Sport, takes $60 a week in gas. That is $240-280 a month in gas. I'd come out ahead with an electric lease along with the insurance payments.

There is also the added benefit of SOLO carpool lane for 5 years until 2019.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      11-22-2013 11:05 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by chronoguy View Post
      In California, leasing an electric cars make sense if it falls in your commute.

For example, there are some $999 down and $199 a month leases. The Fiat 500E gets a $2500 California rebate for three year lease. That makes the lease payment, in effect, $130 a month.
      $199 X 36 months = 7164 - $2500 CA rebate = 4664 (actual cost of lease in three years). 4664 / 36 months = $129.55 a month.
      If you can get free charging at work (or public) then you have literally zero maintenance cost. I know some guys who drive leafs and never charge at home. They charge at work and it makes the round trip.

My current car, a Range Rover Sport, takes $60 a week in gas. That is $240-280 a month in gas. I'd come out ahead with an electric lease along with the insurance payments.

There is also the added benefit of SOLO carpool lane for 5 years until 2019.
      I live in Maryland and it still makes sense I was spending around $300 a month on gas for the Xterra and the Ford with insurance costs right around that point. I charge at work except on weekends so I spend close to nothing on electricity. Plus I get a new car rather than pumping 30,000 more miles into my SUV.

Now hopefully in 3 years when the lease is up we will have at least one large 3 row SUV PHEV so I can replace the Focus and Xterra!

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      11-22-2013 11:15 AM #7
      Congrats on the Focus. Nice ride!
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      11-22-2013 12:01 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Congrats on the Focus. Nice ride!
      Thanks, if you see a FFE in the Pikesville area its probably me!