Fourtitude.com - What's wrong with your A3 today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374 LastLast
    Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1835
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      10-26-2019 12:26 PM #1801
      I finished a stereo install late last night. Install was long & arduous, with a few headaches. Man, that "A" pillar cover is a bear. Hope I never have to take it off again. Anyway, the DIY video provided by Enfig for the A3 was great. Everything is working fine, even the remote USB ports.

Strange thing happened, though. This morning I went to my to check on the head unit functions. While I'm sitting there after about 15 mins, the "low battery" warning comes on. I was in the midst of running a software update on the head unit. While it's going I hear the engine cooling fans going full bore. I hadn't even started the car. The fans didn't stop until a minute after pulling my key from the ignition. And now? Battery is dead. Can't start car.

Last night I did use the cabin light for a couple hours. Yet the car started up OK. I'm seriously hoping this head unit isn't putting a draw on the car's electrical system while the car is off. But I'm really baffled as to why the cooling fans were running. I'm thinking this has to be a coincidence. I only dealt with the head unit wiring harness, nothing else. Anyone else here experience this?

EDIT: It all cleared up after the jump start. Seems that if the battery is very low, the fan relay can get triggered somehow when engine doesn't even need cooling. After driving for a good 20~30 mins, everything is OK now.
      Last edited by absolutt; 10-26-2019 at 04:33 PM.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2007 gti Fahrenheit #123
      10-26-2019 08:51 PM #1802
      Quote Originally Posted by GvFx View Post
      Oh god id be ****ing pissed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Ya at least It's on the only rusty part of my car lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Cars
      11-14-2019 01:46 AM #1803
      I posted earlier about having electrical issues with my driver's door. My key fob will lock the car, but won't unlock it. All functions on the door work. Key fob will unlock rear hatch and panic works. I thought the loom was suffering another broken wire problem, but I couldn't see any sign of an insulation breach.

Well, over on Audi-Sport.net, a guy recommended checking the key fob battery. I have a spare key fob, so I tried it... and it works! So it's the battery. Why the damned hell a low battery would cause only one specific function to stop working and everything else works... is baffling. Anyway. Mystery solved.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

5. Member
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      11-24-2019 10:23 AM #1804
      During the winter months here in Des Moines, I started getting a squeak when the heat was on, oddly, it would go away on right hand turns. Anyway, the fan finally went out the day before I was going to drive down to Orlando. Once I got down there, I investigated and it was the blower motor. Bought a new one and wow, that thing is really easy to replace. I first ordered Valeo off Amazon but they sent me the wrong part so I returned it, then ordered Behr Hella from a local shop my brother goes to. I was surprised to find the original was Valeo.
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, HPA DSG tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

Cars
      2016 A3 2011 A3
      11-25-2019 09:00 PM #1805
      Hadn't driven the car in a couple days and it was parked in the garage. Just moved it to the driveway. Closed all the windows and I go back out a few minutes later and the passenger side window is partially open. Took the car for a short drive, rolled up the passenger window and right away it reopens partially. Did this a couple times and after that no issue. Any ideas?

Cars
      11-26-2019 02:51 AM #1806
      Quote Originally Posted by sergecur99 View Post
      Hadn't driven the car in a couple days and it was parked in the garage. Just moved it to the driveway. Closed all the windows and I go back out a few minutes later and the passenger side window is partially open. Took the car for a short drive, rolled up the passenger window and right away it reopens partially. Did this a couple times and after that no issue. Any ideas?
      Sometimes the circuitry gets some "bad data" stuck in it. I don't know why. It rarely happens. But I just recently faced something similar.

I had to put a new battery in my key fob, because the UNLOCK function wasn't working. Everything else was fine. So, it fixed the problem. However, when I went to test the remote window down operation (holding unlock), it refused to work. Put the key in the driver's door and hold in unlock position -- windows were not going down. I had to "exercise" the windows manually, from inside the car. Down, Up, Down, Up. Once I did that with each window, the "auto" feature worked. Then I put the key back in the door and yes, I was able to control the windows up/down with it.

Weirdly, though, when I went to close up the windows all the way with the remote, the left rear passenger window went down partially. And when I pressed & held the lock button, again, it went down. And down again. After it went all the way down, it then rebounded and went all the way back up. I tried it again with the key fob -- they all went down, and all back up again to the top. Now? No issue.

Cars
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      11-30-2019 07:57 PM #1807
      Once you disconnect the battery, you need to "re-teach" the windows the one-click (and the FOB, if coded) down/up by running the cycle manually from inside for each window.
      Bronco

ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe | EuroLED tail lights | RS grille

9. Junior Member
      Cars
      2009 A3 Quattro S-Line/Ibis White
      12-18-2019 12:43 PM #1808
      I have not posted in a while but I recently replaced the lock actuator in the passenger door which caused intermittent door locking, etc.

At the time that was identified, I was getting Haldex controller errors and had the whole controller replaced.

I also just had my water pump fail so that has been replaced as well and my mileage carries me outside of what Audi will reimburse for. (Naturally)

I think that this makes it official and I have now spent more on repairs for my A3 than I did for the initial cost.

10. Member
      Cars
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3 Quattro, 12 GTI (sold), 2015 A3 Quattro
      12-18-2019 12:50 PM #1809
      Quote Originally Posted by kskreider View Post
      I have not posted in a while but I recently replaced the lock actuator in the passenger door which caused intermittent door locking, etc.

At the time that was identified, I was getting Haldex controller errors and had the whole controller replaced.

I also just had my water pump fail so that has been replaced as well and my mileage carries me outside of what Audi will reimburse for. (Naturally)

I think that this makes it official and I have now spent more on repairs for my A3 than I did for the initial cost.
      Did you receive the reimbursement letters from Audi for the water pump? I got 4 at home - 3 for the audi's and one for the GTI I had. I replaced the water pumps on every one of them. 3 times on my first Audi A3 (75k, 150k, 195k). I haven't read the letters yet to see if they have mileage limits.

Cars
      12-19-2019 04:30 PM #1810
      Quote Originally Posted by Evo V View Post
      Did you receive the reimbursement letters from Audi for the water pump? I got 4 at home - 3 for the audi's and one for the GTI I had. I replaced the water pumps on every one of them. 3 times on my first Audi A3 (75k, 150k, 195k). I haven't read the letters yet to see if they have mileage limits.

Was that a recall? US only or other countries as well? Got any more info / links please ?
      Bronco

12. Member
      Cars
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3 Quattro, 12 GTI (sold), 2015 A3 Quattro
      12-23-2019 07:42 AM #1811
      My transmission or clutch went this morning. Car was making some ticking noise from the front left and I was thinking it's probably hub bearing. Now I have to find a garage and open it to see what broke.

edit: After researching found that probable cause is dual mass flywheel failed.
      Last edited by Evo V; 12-24-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      12-23-2019 04:06 PM #1812
      Looks like the VVT (variable valve timing) valves, intake specifically according to VAD, are getting gummed up! Researching it, looks like the upper timing chain cover has to be removed to get to the valves in order to r & r them. Which, for those who aren't in the know, requires first removing the intake manifold, second removing the valve cover...

https://www.r32oc.com/topic/225113-r...hain-checking/ has the lowdown on how to do this, possibly without doing any mechanical work. Shorter version, change your oil twice as often as factory recommendation!
      Last edited by kgw; 01-04-2020 at 12:29 PM.

14. n00b
      Cars
      07 Audi A3
      01-04-2020 04:13 PM #1813
      Hey All,
      So my big issue at the moment (have a few easier issues) is that my A3 won't recognize that the clutch is engaged when starting even though its pushed in. Nothing is in the way of pushing it all the way down. It started out of the blue last month. Sometimes it wouldn't start without pushing the clutch in anywhere from 3 to 10 times. I've changed the clutch pedal sensor that is attached to the clutch slave cyl twice. The first time I changed it, the car wouldn't recognize the pedal being pushed in randomly, but would start after several attempts. I hoped that maybe the first one I put in was bad. I ordered a second more expensive sensor and still no good. Won't start even after patiently trying dozens of times. Sometimes it would go days without any problems My buddy came over with is VAG-COM and got nothing that seemed related. The ESP sensor is bad, temp sensor, and catalytic converter is on its way out though. We did notice that there is a double clicking noise from the engine when pushing in the clutch. He thought it might be the actual clutch that is causing the problem since the sensor doesn't seem to be the issue. Surprisingly, I'm not finding any good info online at all. Even here. Any ideas folks? I'm trying to avoid towing it to a shop.
      Thanks in advance.

15. 01-09-2020 04:14 AM #1814
      My car needs cleaning after the long 300 mile ride yesterday.
      I also have to check it with my Konnwei KW808 OBD2 Scanner since there is a warning on the dashboard.

01-10-2020 02:27 PM #1815
      Quote Originally Posted by mvp2128 View Post
      Hey All,
      So my big issue at the moment (have a few easier issues) is that my A3 won't recognize that the clutch is engaged when starting even though its pushed in. Nothing is in the way of pushing it all the way down. It started out of the blue last month. Sometimes it wouldn't start without pushing the clutch in anywhere from 3 to 10 times. I've changed the clutch pedal sensor that is attached to the clutch slave cyl twice. The first time I changed it, the car wouldn't recognize the pedal being pushed in randomly, but would start after several attempts. I hoped that maybe the first one I put in was bad. I ordered a second more expensive sensor and still no good. Won't start even after patiently trying dozens of times. Sometimes it would go days without any problems My buddy came over with is VAG-COM and got nothing that seemed related. The ESP sensor is bad, temp sensor, and catalytic converter is on its way out though. We did notice that there is a double clicking noise from the engine when pushing in the clutch. He thought it might be the actual clutch that is causing the problem since the sensor doesn't seem to be the issue. Surprisingly, I'm not finding any good info online at all. Even here. Any ideas folks? I'm trying to avoid towing it to a shop.
      Thanks in advance.
      I going to go out on a limb here but I suspect your starter motor is the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I hate cupholders

01-10-2020 02:33 PM #1816
      Go to vcds into engine block and test the clutch. Push in get a 1 and no push is 0 iirc. I think group 66

I hate cupholders

Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      01-11-2020 11:32 PM #1817
      I decided to try the engine flush method to revive the VVT system, before I took the 3.2 apart to change out the VVT valves. I posted about this earlier: a dubster from Ole Blighty trying to solve the same issue came across the method on the German forums.
      https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index...-there.287374/

The "Long-Life Maintenance" schedule appears to be too optimistic, the interval between oil changes needs to be much shorter than recommended.

I picked up 2 5-quart jugs of Liquimoly 5-40 (I'm thinking that 5-30 would be better for cold weather), Liquimoly Pro-Flush 500ml, and went to it! After getting the engine up to normal operating temp, driving at highway and city speeds, I pulled into the driveway, poured the Pro-Flush into the crankcase, and let it idle (with me feathering the throttle) for 20 minutes. Then put the car up on jackstands and drained the oil, changed the filter, and filled it with the fresh Liquimoly.

I drove it for a while, and still had the herky-jerky idle. So I put a half-can of the Pro-Flush in and went for a short drive to get the engine temp up. The engine still did the herky-jerky idle. I parked it for a few days, leaving this mixture in the engine. I went out the other day, thinking of the crank position sensor, and to drain the engine again, and upon starting, the engine was idling perfectly! Took it for a warmup drive, drained and filled again with new oil/filter.

So far, so good...If the idle changes again, I'll report back.

BTW, the 3.2l takes a while to come to operating temperature, 10-15 miles at varied speeds is about right in cool weather, less in warm weather.
      Last edited by kgw; 01-12-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Cars
      Audi A3
      01-12-2020 02:29 AM #1818
      Currently cant pass smog due to the catalyst monitor not setting 🏾
      Working Class Society
      Ig:@swaglessA3
      @workingclassgroup

01-12-2020 08:53 PM #1819
      On readiness? Did you recently clear DTC?
      I hate cupholders

Cars
      01-18-2020 01:46 AM #1820
      My Cupra lip did not survive the recent dump of snow.

As the break point is fairly clean, I was thinking it could be fixed.

Any thoughts on fixing it ? I thought attaching some sort of a plate in the back and either glue or screw it on and then seal the crack in the front.

Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,

Bronco

22. Member
      Cars
      01-18-2020 11:28 AM #1821
      Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
      My Cupra lip did not survive the recent dump of snow.

As the break point is fairly clean, I was thinking it could be fixed.

Any thoughts on fixing it ? I thought attaching some sort of a plate in the back and either glue or screw it on and then seal the crack in the front.

Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,

You can plastic weld it from the inside. The welding kits are $15-25 on ebay.

Cars
      01-18-2020 01:53 PM #1822
      Quote Originally Posted by Evo V View Post
      You can plastic weld it from the inside. The welding kits are $15-25 on ebay.
      Thanks Evo V, I'll look into that.
      Bronco

01-21-2020 12:55 AM #1823
      Great time to change to a TRC splitter
      I hate cupholders

Cars
      02-01-2020 01:59 AM #1824
      Quote Originally Posted by Tcardio View Post