VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Best engine degreaser?

4K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  lloydD 
#1 ·
Alright, now that im taking a little break from working on the block of my 16v. I've been spending some time degreasing the aluminum head & intake parts of my motor. What are some good degreaser products / tools / methods you guys use to break the grease?
-Luke

#3 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (Ted)

Karcher degreaser, comes in a yellow 4 litre jug for $9 CDN. It is made for the power washers but just put in in an old Simple Green container and away you go. It is more caustic than simple green so don't leave it on aluminum for too long or it will discolor it.
Good price and cuts grease really well

#5 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (mrkrad)

quote:[HR][/HR]many mechanics have a recirculating sink with diesel fuel (it smelled like diesel).[HR][/HR]​
yup or gasoline but they leave a grease film on the surface a big no-no if you want to paint it.
have you look at the autopart store?
they sell parts cleaner, it comes in a 1 gallon or 5 gallon metal container and it's cheap and it works.

#7 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (AtariMasta)

I know this isn't considered a degreaser, but I use the walmart. $.78 a can carbureator cleaner for quick cleanups, it doesn't leave a oily residue either. but be careful about sprayying engine internals, cause it will cause flash rust to appear in minutes

#8 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (hotshotz16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]many mechanics have a recirculating sink with diesel fuel (it smelled like diesel).[HR][/HR]​
That would probably be Stoddard Solvent, aka mineral spirits, about $5/gal. in 5 gal pails.
Lacquer thinner is good but don't use it except in small quantities - kaboom! Don't even think of gasoline. Frankly, I wash my blocks with good old dish soap and hot water, then blow them dry before I start final prep. AFA intakes, etc., Purple Power is pretty good.

#11 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (Ted)

I agree - Simple Green (Automotive) works well. I have also found that Einman Fabrik works well too! It just is a little more difficult to optain. I now use it on my tires and wheel wells. Works really well - good investment (IMHO).
Just my two cents!

#12 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (700807)

quote:[HR][/HR]castrol super clean by far out cleans simple green and purple power and anything I have ever tried. [HR][/HR]​
How environmentally friendly is Super Clean? I can let Simple Green run into my storm drains, something I cannot do with the majority of car cleaning products and degreasers.
My vote is simple green. Works well, won't kill you, and won't give you cancer if it makes it into the storm drains.

#17 ·
Re: Best engine degreaser? (MikeBlaze)

quote:[HR][/HR]How environmentally friendly is Super Clean?
It says it's good on the bottle.[HR][/HR]​
I checked out the stuff at the store last night, and it has warnings about burning skin and not breathing the mist. Super Clean is biodegradable, but it's still caustic and can cause health problems.
Simple Green http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.