Fourtitude.com - LT Review: ST Coilover Kit – Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2008 Toyota Tacoma w/ Flippac.
      09-14-2013 05:23 PM #1
      4.5/5 – Fantastic street performance w/ great highway ride at a fraction of the cost of high-end coilovers.

Ride: I fell in to the trap, wanting the “lowered look” at the lowest cost possible. Originally I purchased a set of H&R Sport Springs and installed them over my stock struts. This resulted in the ride height I wanted… but with suspension that frequently hit the bumpstops like Terry Tate office linebacker.

After 8 months w/ stock struts and sport springs I made the move to the ST Coilover kit.

If you are considering purchasing a sport-spring kit without changing your car’s dampers… go take a cold shower, drink a strong cup of coffee, and have a long look in the mirror about where you hoped you'd be at this point in your life.

For $900.00 retail the ST Coilover kit gets you slightly stiffer, lower springs for all 4 corners paired with new, non-adjustable dampers with a matched stroke. This package resulted in a ride quality very similar to the car’s stock struts and springs on highway but noticeably reduces body roll in the twisties.

The non-adjustable dampers easily cope with most road features smoothing out cracked concrete highways and isolating chip sealed roads even with 35mm sidewall tires. For everyday driving, the dampers are fantastic. They manage to maintain the original characteristics of the car while giving you a great looking lower stance.

In corners, the dampers have more low speed compression than the OEM set up resulting in slightly flatter cornering. My 2010 JSW still understeers like a pig, but atleast now it is a composed pig.

My only gripe is with the dampers is their high speed compression. When encountering a square edge bump, the damper binds up slightly under high shaft speed resulting in a noticeable hit to the car. Even with this concern the overall ride of the car is fantastic. Avoid dropping your wheels in to big potholes at highway speed and you golden ponyboy.

Moral of the story, for $900.00usd this kit is tough to beat. The car rides great and looks even better. If you’re a California kid (admittedly a transplant from the Midwest) like me, the steel bodied ST Coils are the way to go. For those of you still living in the flyover states or where Californians go when they want to see snow, consider the upgrade to KW’s V1. They have a very similar damping profile paired with a stainless steel shock body that will have less corrosion in bad weather.

Specific to the Car: When I received the car back from Sonic Motorsports, the car’s ride height measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch at 24”. In this configuration I experienced pretty dramatic rubbing on the inside of the front wheel wells. Don’t get me wrong… the car looked great… but it wasn’t very fun to tip-toe around corners to avoid the god awful scraping noise.

Using the included wrench, I raised the car to 24.5” alleviating most of the rubbing and then to 25” now. At 25” the car has no rubbing what so ever. You can chuck it in to any corner and lift-off oversteer your family station wagon until you heart floods over with joy.

Front Coilovers

24" Ride Height

25" Ride Height

Also this...

Original

Now
      2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      2012 Ducati 848Evo
      Tarmac, Shiv, Stumpjumper

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      E30, Volvo 245
      09-14-2013 07:38 PM #2
      I like

Cars
      2008 335i (FBO), 2004 Golf, 1965 Mustang, 2013 Civic
      09-14-2013 08:08 PM #3
      Looks great
      ST's are good quality coilovers and are alright at a lot of things but not great at any lol
      Don't go super low and not stiff enough for semi-competitive track use but comfortable, inexpensive and not some cheap knockoff brand. Enjoy them

5. 09-15-2013 12:02 AM #4
      Why would you not save up for a few more months and get FK Silverline with Koni dampers? I'm not bashing your choice, just wondering...

Cars
      2008 A4 S-Line Titanium QTM, 2000 A4 QTM, 1993 Audi 90S (sold), 1992 Toyota Corolla
      09-15-2013 12:18 AM #5
      Loved your review.
      Unf*ckwithable

7. Member
      Cars
      98 Jetta, R32
      09-15-2013 12:21 AM #6
      Lower it

Playing, looks really good. I hope to get my Avant some coilovers in the next coming months, I will be going a little lower than you though.

Cars
      2014 Ford FiST, 1992 VW Corrado SLC
      09-15-2013 12:30 AM #7
      Have these on my b5 A4. they don't go all that low but as a daily driver/comfort coil they do a good job for the price.

Cars
      2003 Golf TDI
      09-15-2013 12:37 AM #8
      I run these and couldn't be happier with my choice. It's a great quality coilover for DD duty.

Cars
      '20 Volvo V60 T5 R-Design Polestar
      09-15-2013 12:54 AM #9

Cars
      NC MX-5, E46 M3 x2, 2006 A4 Avant
      09-15-2013 06:51 AM #10
      i give it a 10. would bang
      "I measure in Smiles per Gallon"---dc/dc

Cars
      14 CAAD10 5
      09-15-2013 07:33 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Why would you not save up for a few more months and get FK Silverline with Koni dampers? I'm not bashing your choice, just wondering...
      OP i really hope you didnt spend 900, theres a whole lot of places where you can get that exact kit for ~$715 shipped (fifteen52 to name one)

to this asshat above, why spend $1200 when you can spend $715? lets be real here, its not as if ST is a bad brand. and for DD use they fit the bill perfectly. i have HPA SHS coilovers because i got them from a friend for a good price, otherwise i would have went with STs. (HPA SHS are KW V1s revalved to HPAs specs)
      coolWATER

Cars
      VW
      09-15-2013 09:49 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      At $1200 he could have KW or H&R. STs are rebranded KW 1s, just a lot cheaper. I paid $715 shipped for the set.
      When I looked for a set of coils for my Cabby I wanted a DD comfort and better handling. I didn't want to be slammed nor was I planning to do events. JOM, FK, Weitec, Racelands, Rokkors were out of question. H&R, Blistein and KWs at $1200-1400 were out of price range so I settled w STs.
      Good all around coils that wont break you wallet or your spine.

14. 09-15-2013 12:18 PM #13
      That looks so good with those wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL View Post
      Phew!!! Thank goodness it's a VW troll thread. If it were a Hyundai troll thread the bukkake faced fanboys would be frothing at the mouth

15. 09-17-2013 05:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Shtbox View Post
      OP i really hope you didnt spend 900, theres a whole lot of places where you can get that exact kit for ~$715 shipped (fifteen52 to name one)

to this asshat above, why spend $1200 when you can spend $715? lets be real here, its not as if ST is a bad brand. and for DD use they fit the bill perfectly. i have HPA SHS coilovers because i got them from a friend for a good price, otherwise i would have went with STs. (HPA SHS are KW V1s revalved to HPAs specs)
      Why spend $1200? Because sometimes you get what you f**cking pay for. BTW, I was asking a simple question, so f**k you, and the horse you rode in on.

Cars
      2013 GTI
      09-17-2013 06:01 PM #15
      That escalated quickly!
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

17. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-17-2013 06:04 PM #16