Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-10-2013 11:59 PM #1
      I have a 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg with 43,000 miles on it and I've been having nothing but issues with misfires. Since I bought the car in 2010 I've noticed a slight shake or miss at idle on a cold start, but it went away after the car warmed up. In June I was driving along and all of a sudden it started shaking horribly and the CEL + EPC lights came on. I took it to the dealer and after three weeks of diagnosing they figured out that 3 fuel injectors failed and a valve spring broke. I got the car back and it ran very smooth for a few weeks and now is doing the shaking at idle again but seems worse than before. I've replaced the spark plugs and have R8 coil packs on the way. Nothing seems to help and I keep getting random misfires on all 4 cylinders when I do logs. Any ideas of what this could be? I only have powertrain warranty left, but might end up having to take it to the dealer again. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mods are listed in my signature
      2015 GLI SEL

35% Tint || DG Springs || Koni Yellows || APR Stage 1 || APR Carbonio || Unitronic Catback || Valentine One

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-11-2013 06:42 PM #2
      Anyone??
      2015 GLI SEL

35% Tint || DG Springs || Koni Yellows || APR Stage 1 || APR Carbonio || Unitronic Catback || Valentine One

4. Member
      Cars
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev
      08-11-2013 07:57 PM #3
      The cracked spring is a concern, and the first one I can recall here. I would be concerned that the broken spring allowed the valve to drop and hit the piston. i would just take it in again.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-11-2013 08:09 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
      The cracked spring is a concern, and the first one I can recall here. I would be concerned that the broken spring allowed the valve to drop and hit the piston. i would just take it in again.
      Thanks for the reply! I agree that a cracked spring is odd. I drive my car pretty conservative so I'm not sure why it would have happened. I broke down out of town when it happened and took it to a dealer that was horrible so I'm questioning their work. I'll probably end up taking it into my local dealer and see what they think.
      2015 GLI SEL

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-11-2013 09:29 PM #5
      I just put it back to stock tune and on a cold start cylinder 1 had 2 misfires. Then when I was driving I was able to get 1 or 2 misfires per cylinder. It seemed like it mostly occurred when I was going into boost. I would post my logs but I'm not quite sure how to save logs lol.

I took it for a ride on 91 octane and right on startup I had 3 misfires on cylinder 4. Then when I was driving I didn't have any until I came to an idle and cylinder 1 was at 2. I'm not quite sure what to think of this. Any further ideas would be much appreciated!
      Last edited by malibuboats91; 08-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.
      2015 GLI SEL

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-12-2013 10:37 AM #6
      Bump
      2015 GLI SEL

9. Junior Member
      08-12-2013 08:10 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by malibuboats91 View Post
      I just put it back to stock tune and on a cold start cylinder 1 had 2 misfires. Then when I was driving I was able to get 1 or 2 misfires per cylinder. It seemed like it mostly occurred when I was going into boost. I would post my logs but I'm not quite sure how to save logs lol.

I took it for a ride on 91 octane and right on startup I had 3 misfires on cylinder 4. Then when I was driving I didn't have any until I came to an idle and cylinder 1 was at 2. I'm not quite sure what to think of this. Any further ideas would be much appreciated!
      I am running into similar issues with my 2009 on cold start is runs crap. After the temp gauge hits 1/2 it smooths out.

I have pulled the plugs and checked compression all 4 range from 170psi to 180psi. I notice that I get more misfires on cylinder 4. So I pulled the intake and checked for carbon build up none. Swapped the injector in cylinder 4, moved around coil packs. Swapped around plugs...still more on cylinder 4 than all others...I get misfires on cylinder 2 as well not that many.

Car goes into cylinder shutdown mode..turn it off then back on and it is idling fine..at warm up.

The http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov site has a lot of service bulletins listed for cold start and misfire issues on the Tiguan.

Note: My misfiring just started one day after I let the car site for about 1 week and half without starting it. Then it simply stayed driving me nuts just like everyone else.

How can we get to read those bulletins???

EG:TB-20-13-01, TB-20-13-02 and the list goes on...can someone share these bulletins if they have them?

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-14-2013 09:40 AM #8
      Well I ended up taking it into the dealer. Ill let you guys know if they figure it out
      2015 GLI SEL

11. Banner Advertiser Paul@DeutscheAutoParts's Avatar
      Cars
      B8.5 S4
      08-15-2013 01:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by malibuboats91 View Post
      Well I ended up taking it into the dealer. Ill let you guys know if they figure it out
      Most likely you are having an issue with the other injector or possibly carbon build up

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...6G/3682/267955
      ShopDAP.com ---------Deutsche (DOY-chuh) Auto Parts----------All VW/Audi part numbers are searchable on our site.

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-15-2013 02:00 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Most likely you are having an issue with the other injector or possibly carbon build up

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...6G/3682/267955
      Paul I actually had all 4 injectors replaced in June. 2 were from you and 2 from the dealer. They can only get it to misfire for 10 seconds and the scanner won't pick it up at the dealer. Hopefully they figure it out.
      2015 GLI SEL

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-15-2013 10:35 PM #11
      I picked up my car from the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. I guess everything was cleaned when they put the new injectors in. I'm on stock tune with stock intake and it seems to be gone. I'm wondering if my tune or carbonio intake could be causing it. This is the longest I've had it in stock mode with OEM intake so I'm going to have to do some experimenting.
      2015 GLI SEL

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-21-2013 09:59 AM #12
      I was doing some more thinking about the whole situation as my problems are still occurring. When I had the car fixed the first time I had some cheap autolight spark plugs in. When I got the car home it ran smoother than ever. Then I changed the plugs to the NGK 1675 gapped at .032 and my issues have been ever since that. Could I have a bad plug? It's kind of funny that it ran better on cheap plugs than more expensive ones.
      2015 GLI SEL

15. Junior Member
      Cars
      2004 DBP R32, 2008 TR GTI, 2009 BMP GTI
      08-26-2013 04:11 PM #13
      Holy smokes - I just came here to post about having the exact same problem! This is driving me nuts.

Having a problem with my car.
      Car: 2009 GTI, 2.0T TSI, Revo stage 1, 130,000 km

What has been tried so far
      - Revo tune switched off with select switch
      - New coil packs
      - New spark plugs
      - Carbon clean

The problem
      On every cold start, on gentle, gradual acceleration, the car misfires. A lot. We hooked up Vag Com and scanned it while driving and it misfires randomly in all 4 cylinders and in some cases, multiple quick misfires in the same cylinder. The misfires are very noticeable – the car really hesitates. Within about 5 to 6 minutes of driving, the car has warmed up and the bad, noticeable misfires drastically reduce in frequency and they become much more difficult to detect. This happens every single morning when I drive my car. Going up a slight incline during this drive makes the misfires more noticeable when the car is cold. Again – this is on very gentle, gradual low RPM driving. There is never a CEL.

Twice now, as I was getting on the highway, when the car was “warmed up” but still had only been driven for about 6 or 7 minutes, I had to accelerate hard from low RPM to merge on. Both of those times, the car hit a wall of misfires, threw a CEL and then the ECU shut down cylinder 4. The car obviously drives like **** at this point. Both times after that, the coil pack in cylinder 4 was replaced. The morning misfires continue every day though.

I have also had the car misfire badly when trying to pass slow traffic on a two lane road in the morning. This is well after the car has warmed up. In this case, the car threw a CEL but didn’t shut down the cylinder.

I drive my car to the gym in the mornings for a 45 minute workout. When I climb into my car after going to the gym, the car is still “warm” and the misfires are barely noticeable. When I get into my car at the end of my work day, the car is once again cold and the misfires are back.

This morning, after driving the car to work (about an hour into the commute), on gentle driving, all of a sudden, the car threw up a code and a warning of “Engine Fault Workshop” and then the car went into limp mode.

I really don’t know anything about cars or fixing them. I’m hoping some people that know a lot about this stuff might be able to provide me with some ideas on what the problem might be.

16. 08-26-2013 11:53 PM #14
      Similar issue here, 2011 cc tsi

Had misfire's/ limp mode... dealer replaced everything for that one cylinder.. coilpack, spark plug, injector...

turned out to be a broken valve spring.. so they replaced it.

a little over a month later. im misfiring on cylinder #4 and just replaced an ignition coil yesterday... same issue all over again just on a different cylinder.. =/ im dropping the car off tomorrow to run through the steps again.. my bumper to bumper is out, im hoping the powertrain will cover it.

Cars
      2016 Audi S3
      08-27-2013 09:41 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by seanner View Post
      Holy smokes - I just came here to post about having the exact same problem! This is driving me nuts.

Having a problem with my car.
      Car: 2009 GTI, 2.0T TSI, Revo stage 1, 130,000 km

What has been tried so far
      - Revo tune switched off with select switch
      - New coil packs
      - New spark plugs
      - Carbon clean

The problem
      On every cold start, on gentle, gradual acceleration, the car misfires. A lot. We hooked up Vag Com and scanned it while driving and it misfires randomly in all 4 cylinders and in some cases, multiple quick misfires in the same cylinder. The misfires are very noticeable – the car really hesitates. Within about 5 to 6 minutes of driving, the car has warmed up and the bad, noticeable misfires drastically reduce in frequency and they become much more difficult to detect. This happens every single morning when I drive my car. Going up a slight incline during this drive makes the misfires more noticeable when the car is cold. Again – this is on very gentle, gradual low RPM driving. There is never a CEL.

Twice now, as I was getting on the highway, when the car was “warmed up” but still had only been driven for about 6 or 7 minutes, I had to accelerate hard from low RPM to merge on. Both of those times, the car hit a wall of misfires, threw a CEL and then the ECU shut down cylinder 4. The car obviously drives like **** at this point. Both times after that, the coil pack in cylinder 4 was replaced. The morning misfires continue every day though.

I have also had the car misfire badly when trying to pass slow traffic on a two lane road in the morning. This is well after the car has warmed up. In this case, the car threw a CEL but didn’t shut down the cylinder.

I drive my car to the gym in the mornings for a 45 minute workout. When I climb into my car after going to the gym, the car is still “warm” and the misfires are barely noticeable. When I get into my car at the end of my work day, the car is once again cold and the misfires are back.

This morning, after driving the car to work (about an hour into the commute), on gentle driving, all of a sudden, the car threw up a code and a warning of “Engine Fault Workshop” and then the car went into limp mode.

I really don’t know anything about cars or fixing them. I’m hoping some people that know a lot about this stuff might be able to provide me with some ideas on what the problem might be.
      Your problem sounds similar to mine except it misfires at idle with no acceleration then when I go into boost. A misfire will pop up on one of the 4 cylinders for the first 30 seconds after a cold start then go away. I talked with my tuner and he said that's normal because the car puts double the fuel in at first. Not sure if that's right or not.
      2015 GLI SEL

18. n00b
      09-13-2013 04:18 AM #16
      fault code show multiple misfire and misfire cylinder 3.. really running my nuts..
      golf R - mileage 12546 - ecu tuned by revo - stage 3 - turbo changed - intercooler changed -rs4 injectors - APR fuel pump - APR full exhaust system. kindly help...

Cars
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi, 2015 VW Passat TDi SEL
      09-13-2013 12:37 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by anba_5276 View Post
      fault code show multiple misfire and misfire cylinder 3.. really running my nuts..
      golf R - mileage 12546 - ecu tuned by revo - stage 3 - turbo changed - intercooler changed -rs4 injectors - APR fuel pump - APR full exhaust system. kindly help...
      Did any of you guys ever check out the SAI pump and the connections to and from? Sounds like a very likely culprit especially if your misfires happen when the car is still cold and gets better after warm up since the Sai pump shuts down after initial warm up. Also depends on your engine. ccta or cbfa
      The CCTA engines no longer have a SAI pump but the CBFA engines do.

If you have a CBFA engine check you Sai Pump. Regardless if you do or don't check all possible vacuum connections. Also check EGR valve for carbon build up. Sounds if you checked the plugs and the coil packs it is more than likely emission related.

20. Banner Advertiser Paul@DeutscheAutoParts's Avatar
      Cars
      B8.5 S4
      09-14-2013 09:01 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by IndyTTom View Post
      Did any of you guys ever check out the SAI pump and the connections to and from? Sounds like a very likely culprit especially if your misfires happen when the car is still cold and gets better after warm up since the Sai pump shuts down after initial warm up. Also depends on your engine. ccta or cbfa

If you have a CBFA engine check you Sai Pump. Regardless if you do or don't check all possible vacuum connections. Also check EGR valve for carbon build up. Sounds if you checked the plugs and the coil packs it is more than likely emission related.
      If it was a leak or emission related they would see misfires on all cylinders. The fact that its just one cylinder means that it must be related to that cylinder

The items that should be checked or replaced should follow this order
      Coil Pack
      Spark plug
      Carbon build up
      Fuel injector

I know the one gentleman above had a broken valve spring, and while this could be a cause of the others misfires this is highly unlikely and should be the last thing considered when trying to diag this issue.
      ShopDAP.com ---------Deutsche (DOY-chuh) Auto Parts----------All VW/Audi part numbers are searchable on our site.

Cars
      2011 VW CC LUX
      09-15-2013 02:16 PM #19
      I am having a similar issue with my 2011 CC. Misfire on #1 cyl. Replaced the #1 ignition coil and nothing changed. Moved spark plug from #1 cyl over to #2 and nothing changed. Don't have a vagcom or code reader and I am a little worried about driving it, so it's sitting in the parking lot at work.

I don't think it's related to the injector because when I removed the spark plug it had gas on it.
      I also have raw fuel coming out of my exhaust......So to me the injector is working just fine it just isn't getting spark. Anybody have any ideas? I know I need to get it scanned and I am trying to find someone local that has a vagcom but I am new to my area so I don't know any VAG guys/gals.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am supposed to be going out of the country in two weeks for about four months and would like to get this issue resolved asap.
      Drive that **** like you stole it!!

Cars
      09-15-2013 02:28 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by JonLott View Post
      I am having a similar issue with my 2011 CC. Misfire on #1 cyl. Replaced the #1 ignition coil and nothing changed. Moved spark plug from #1 cyl over to #2 and nothing changed. Don't have a vagcom or code reader and I am a little worried about driving it, so it's sitting in the parking lot at work.

I don't think it's related to the injector because when I removed the spark plug it had gas on it.
      I also have raw fuel coming out of my exhaust......So to me the injector is working just fine it just isn't getting spark. Anybody have any ideas? I know I need to get it scanned and I am trying to find someone local that has a vagcom but I am new to my area so I don't know any VAG guys/gals.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am supposed to be going out of the country in two weeks for about four months and would like to get this issue resolved asap.
      No need to have a Vag Com necessarily. You can get it scanned at any Autozone with a generic OBDII scanner. That will give you codes as well and it doesn't cost anything. Vag com might be more detailed but not absolutely necessary. So take it to Autozone or Advance Auto or whoever is present in your area and they will scan it for you.

Did you check your harness going into the Coil? Did you swap coils to see if that changes where the misfire is coming from?

Cars
      2011 VW CC LUX
      09-15-2013 04:58 PM #21
      No need to have a Vag Com necessarily. You can get it scanned at any Autozone with a generic OBDII scanner. That will give you codes as well and it doesn't cost anything. Vag com might be more detailed but not absolutely necessary. So take it to Autozone or Advance Auto or whoever is present in your area and they will scan it for you.

Did you check your harness going into the Coil? Did you swap coils to see if that changes where the misfire is coming from?
      The harness looks good as far as I can tell. I did swap coils and plugs. It stays on #1 cyl. I keep calling it a misfire but I don't think cylinder 1 is firing at all.

Cars
      2011 VW CC LUX
      09-15-2013 08:31 PM #22
      Pulled my codes a lil bit ago with a generic code reader.

P0300
      P0301
      P0351
      P0352
      P0302

I cleared all of those, started the car, then scanned it again and the only one that came back was the P0301.

I have already changed the ignition coil. I also put the spark plug from cyl 2 into cyl 1. Should I just go buy new plugs? Need this sorted ASAP. Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide.

Cars
      09-15-2013 11:59 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by JonLott View Post
      Pulled my codes a lil bit ago with a generic code reader.

P0300
      P0301
      P0351
      P0352
      P0302

I cleared all of those, started the car, then scanned it again and the only one that came back was the P0301.

I have already changed the ignition coil. I also put the spark plug from cyl 2 into cyl 1. Should I just go buy new plugs? Need this sorted ASAP. Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide.
      The P 300 indicated random misfires. The P 301 and P 302 show the misfires are in Cylinder number 1 and 2. The P 351 and P 352 show Fault in Coil circuit cyl 1 and 2.

So I would check the connections to the coils. If you have a volt meter you can check to see if the coils are getting electricity. Check your connectors and wiring. Could be a break in the wire or connectors. On my old 1.8 Vag motor I did have a cracked connector which did cause random misfires until I replaced it. Anyway, I don't think that just changing spark plugs is going to do it in your case. There seems to be a problem in the coil circuit which needs to be fixed. Try taking off the connector and putting it back on and make sure it clicks in. Also swap coils from Cylinder 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 and see if the codes change. Perhaps you do have a couple of faulty coils? New coils are no guarantee that they are good or not.

Also clearing the codes and then reading them again and saying only P 0301 came back doesn't mean anything since it may take time for the other codes to reappear but they will.

Here are your most likely culprits.

Short to voltage or ground on COP driver circuit
      Open on COP driver circuit
      Loose connection at coil or broken connector locks
      Bad Coil (COP)
      Faulty Powertrain Control Module

26. n00b
      09-17-2013 12:51 AM #24

The problem is there even the engine hot. now I check plug broken at centre electrode, I m using DENSO IK24.

Cars
      09-17-2013 10:13 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by anba_5276 View Post
      The problem is there even the engine hot. now I check plug broken at centre electrode, I m using DENSO IK24.
      You didn't gap them did you? Bad idea to gap Iridium plugs especially the Densos. Those things break if you look at them in a funny way. I would recommend against them or if you insist on using them don't gap them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast