VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Plz help - engine shakes in 4th 5th gear when accelerating

16K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Pone Tony 
#1 ·
2002 jetta mk4 gli vr6 24v.
157, 000 km.

I tried to research but didn't find anything specific to my engine, so if u have any ideas plz share.
While accelerating in 4th 5th gear with 80-90+ km/h the car shakes badly (sideways - left right). Shaking is coming from engine area. Whole car shakes, console etc. When u stop accelerating and keep steady speed its all good. 6th gear with sloooow acceleration is good too. City driving 1-3 gear is fine.

P.s not wheels..... (duh...)
P.p.s mechanic says I need to replace engine mounts but I think its more than that since I would feel broken engine mounts on 1-3rd gear.

Plz help

#4 ·
That's sounds like mounts to me. They aren't bad at all to change. Just make sure u have a jack or two to support engine and/or trans

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Well thanks a lot. That really does help and I hope its the issue. Because I way thinking that its engine or some more complicated stuff. In any case plz let me know if u or anyone else got any other ideas as per what can it be if those mounts will not solve the problem. Do I need to change them all together? Or only the broken ones. Thanks again

#12 ·
a bad / dying CV may be it too..... doesn't hurt to check.

but - nao don't grab OEM again.... you're just paying a markup for a VW stamp. If you have to grab new mount(s):

go with 034 Motorsport's motor mount set for VR6.... you can choose how stiff you want it (street / track), and ALL mounts are included for $325. If one mount is bad.... it stands to reason the others will follow suit shortly.

cheaper, better, faster, stronger :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.