Fourtitude.com - AMA Recognizes Obesity as a Disease.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
      Cars
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      07-02-2013 08:34 AM #326
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post

A lot of fat people I know, call themselves "on a big side". No, you are not on a big side... you are one fat fker! The sooner you realise that and stop feeling sorry for yourself, the sooner you'll do something about it.
      This.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      07-02-2013 12:11 PM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      That sounds really, really high.
      Given that I went 40 years with undiagnosed Celiac, I don't think so. I went to seven different gastroenterologists over the years before one finally said, "gee, Ms H, I have no idea. Let's run some tests."

Before that, I got the whole hysterical female thing - there is nothing wrong sweetie, you're just stressed out, maybe a bit of acid reflux, etc.

Screw that. I was sick. I have a genetic variant that is very common to Europeans. Many people who have it are not bothered by it. I am. Lucky me.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      07-02-2013 12:18 PM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
      This.
      Some people actually have bigger bones than others. So big boned is not an excuse, but it's also not a myth.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      07-02-2013 12:39 PM #329
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Some people actually have bigger bones than others. So big boned is not an excuse, but it's also not a myth.
      That is an extremely rare disease. The majority of fattys can't fall back on that excuse.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

07-02-2013 01:03 PM #330
      That sounds really, really high.
      Just look at how prevalent other food allergies have become such as peanut and shellfish. Growing up I only remember one person having any type of food issue and it was just lactose intolerance.

And as I said earlier about glucose intolerance, you may not notice it since consuming it your entire life. I never seemed to have issue prior but now after avoiding it for months both anything gluten heavy like pizza, a bagel, or a hero/sub/hoagie kill me.

Same thing happened to me with raw almonds never had issue with them, didn't have any for a long time and now unless roasted almonds also kill me.

Cars
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      07-02-2013 01:13 PM #331
      Yeah some people have Celiacs...that's not the point:
      An overwhelming majority don't. 1 out of 133 people (...which is less than one percent) does not equate to the boatload of people who have very suddenly self-diagnosed themselves with it or some kind of wonky gluten intolerance that seems to be...high selective for how easy it is to tell if something was made with wheat.

None of these people has ever had any kind of independent testing. It's on the level with electrosensitives in paranoid BS.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Cars
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      07-02-2013 01:22 PM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by SSj4G60 View Post
      Just look at how prevalent other food allergies have become such as peanut and shellfish.
      Thats because parents have become woosified. Too scared to let Jr eat a peanut when he's little. That exactly how your get your body used to new stuff...a little at a time. Never expose little Johnny to peanuts when he's little then wonder why he reacts to the later? Parents have wrecked kids. SHM

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      07-02-2013 01:27 PM #333
      Quote Originally Posted by nemo1ner View Post
      That is an extremely rare disease. The majority of fattys can't fall back on that excuse.

What I'm referring to is not a disease, and I mentioned its not an excuse. I'm just here to dispel the myths perpetrated by middle school bullies.

When I broke my leg the x-ray tech told me "You have big, dense skeletal tissue. It's amazing you broke anything." On second thought...maybe he was coming on to me.
      Last edited by TheDarkEnergist; 07-02-2013 at 01:29 PM.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      07-02-2013 01:27 PM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Got my numbers from the US dept of health & human services - Celiac Disease
      Well, there you go, then. 1 in 133 is higher than I'd have expected, but the science speaks.

Just look at how prevalent other food allergies have become such as peanut and shellfish. Growing up I only remember one person having any type of food issue and it was just lactose intolerance. ..
      True celiac - the diagnosed, real disease - isn't really an allergy or a "sensitivity," though, it's an autoimmune disorder mediated by a genetic predisposition, like atomicalex has. I have no doubt that celiac, including low-symptom celiac, is indeed present in the 1 in 133 people cited. Allergies, too, can be diagnosed and have clearly-described mechanisms - and while they're on the rise, they're a different thing.

Gluten intolerance...I dunno, man. A lot of self-diagnoses and anecdotes, not a whole lot of real science. I don't want to perpetuate the "nothing is wrong with you, you just have the ****s/acid reflux/whatever" problem that atomicalex had, but at the same time I think the whole issue is clouded by a huge number of confounding factors (like undiagnosed mild celiac!) that make it impossible to determine if it's a real diagnosis or not. I mean, gluten intolerance could be a thing, or it could be a whole lot of things, or it could be nothing. It might be just an obscure variety of celiac, it could be psychosomatic, it could be an allergy to gliadin, it could be some other food allergy....you can't really split it off from all the things it might also be.

At this point, I think people are so wigged out about it it's not even clear who's experiencing "real" symptoms - people who digests gluten just fine could be affected by the nocebo effect, where the belief that something is harmful causes them to manifest psychosomatic symptoms to benign foods. I mean, my wife knows a woman who tells everybody she's gluten intolerant, but she's been observed happily scarfing couscous and drinking beer. But I've seen her after eating something she knows to contain gluten, and she looks like ****, legitimately. Weird, eh?

And as I said earlier about glucose intolerance, you may not notice it since consuming it your entire life. I never seemed to have issue prior but now after avoiding it for months both anything gluten heavy like pizza, a bagel, or a hero/sub/hoagie kill me..
      If you cut almost anything out of your diet, it's gonna mess with you when you re-introduce it - fat, meat, sugar, carbs, whatever. If it wasn't causing you issues before you quit it, if it's nothing you notice, it doesn't strike me as a problem.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 07-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Cars
      07-02-2013 01:31 PM #335
      What I'm referring to is not a disease, and I mentioned its not an excuse. I'm just here to dispel the myths perpetrated by middle school bullies.

When I broke my leg the x-ray tech told me "You have big, dense skeletal tissue. It's amazing you broke anything." On second thought...maybe he was coming on to me.
      But not big/dense enough to make an otherwise thin person look fat. So, if you LOOK fat, You ARE fat...and "big bones" has nothing to do with it. (all generic YOUs, not specific).

Cars
      91 Aristo, 01 GS300, 09 Genesis V8, 73 240Z
      07-02-2013 01:55 PM #336

It's not unusual for fat people to have strong bones and muscles, but it's your heart that you have to worry about.

I don't think enough people understand this. Being fat isn't about fashion, it's about health. Every extra pound of fat just increases the risk of heart disease that much more. It's not a subtle thing at all, it's a very dramatic increase in heart disease risk as you can see.

I suppose this kid is just big boned too huh? I'm sure he gets plenty of protein and calcium so his bones are probably pretty dense too. I guess it's the only good thing a doctor could tell this child's parents about his body.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      07-02-2013 02:08 PM #337
      C'mon now... saying "I'm just big boned" is like saying "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy" it's a self deprecating joke.

No one actually thinks their overweightness is because they have gigantic bones.

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      07-02-2013 02:14 PM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      C'mon now... saying "I'm just big boned" is like saying "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy" it's a self deprecating joke.

No one actually thinks their overweightness is because they have gigantic bones.
      Yeah, I was gonna say, there might be a few real dip****s who think this, but I always got the impression it was self-effacing humor.

07-02-2013 02:15 PM #339
      If you cut almost anything out of your diet, it's gonna mess with you when you re-introduce it - fat, meat, sugar, carbs, whatever. If it wasn't causing you issues before you quit it, if it's nothing you notice, it doesn't strike me as a problem.
      Mess is putting it lightly (I'll leave it that, unless you want TMI ), I'll gladly keeps avoiding/minimizing it. I can handle it fine if it's just a cookie, roll, biscuit but anything more is pushing it.

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      07-02-2013 02:17 PM #340
      Mess is putting it lightly (I'll leave it that, unless you want TMI ), I'll gladly keeps avoiding/minimizing it. I can handle it fine if it's just a cookie, roll, biscuit but anything more is pushing it.
      Yeah, at some point, whatever the science ends up being, avoiding stuff that results in having to clean up the bathroom with a flamethrower is always the best health decision.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      07-02-2013 02:19 PM #341
      I always got the impression it was self-effacing humor.
      My MIL is convinced that my 250# SIL is just "big boned". With 7" wrists. I think not.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      07-02-2013 02:33 PM #342
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      It's not unusual for fat people to have strong bones and muscles, but it's your heart that you have to worry about.
      Im aware.

I suppose this kid is just big boned too huh? I'm sure he gets plenty of protein and calcium so his bones are probably pretty dense too. I guess it's the only good thing a doctor could tell this child's parents about his body.
      I put what I said in context, you took it out of context. Do you really think that I think that kid is big boned? He's fat.

I literally said:

Having big bones is an actual thing, but NOT an excuse for obesity.

Cars
      '11 GTI, 2018 Passat SE
      07-02-2013 05:47 PM #343
      I have a feeling all of these kinda new gastro problems are more related to the amount of processed, chemical ridden, type food that is eaten. That stuff can't be good for our systems.
      It go down in the DM

20. 07-11-2013 05:02 PM #344
      http://packershack.com/infographics/...visualization/

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/obesity-us-visualized-infographic
      Obesity In The U.S. Lih Chen

Inspired by a recent decision from the American Medical Association to start recognizing obesity as a disease, designer Lih Chen created this infographic, mapping the problem state by state.

Quick note for context: the size of the pie charts over each state only indicate the total population size; California and New York aren't trouncing every other state in obesity. The pie charts themselves are broken down by "obese," in purple; "overweight," in orange; and "normal," in blue, determined through data culled from the CDC and census. For those states where the pie chart is too small to read, the bar charts at the bottom show the same distribution, but not plotted by total population, only by proportion.

This shows the data from 2011, when the least obese state was Colorado and the most obese was Alabama. But Chen has posted an interactive version showing rates from 1995 to 2011, which you can check out here.
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Time to give up and buy a horse.

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      07-11-2013 05:14 PM #345
      Sigh

Cars
      ///M Roadster
      07-11-2013 05:22 PM #346
      There's gotta be a way to transplant obese American's fatty tissue onto malnourished Ethiopian children. I'm thinking you'd meet less resistance with that proposal than if you were to ask Americans to share their donuts and burgers with starving kids.

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Cars
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      07-12-2013 10:58 AM #347
      Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
      Thats because parents have become woosified. Too scared to let Jr eat a peanut when he's little. That exactly how your get your body used to new stuff...a little at a time. Never expose little Johnny to peanuts when he's little then wonder why he reacts to the later? Parents have wrecked kids. SMH
      Doctors aren't helping. Basically, anything that you can have an allergy to you are supposed to not feed the kid until they are a year or three old, depending on the item. The idea is their little bodies can better handle the allergic reaction if they are one of the one in a million with the allergy. We're not talking peanuts and shellfish either, it is a LONG list.

I'm sorry, no one in either of our families has ever been allergic to 'X'. Baby can eat 'X' without waiting until she is 4. Baby loves 'X'.

Baby also loves eating hot salsa by itself...go figure.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

Cars
      07-12-2013 11:16 AM #348
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Doctors aren't helping. Basically, anything that you can have an allergy to you are supposed to not feed the kid until they are a year or three old, depending on the item. The idea is their little bodies can better handle the allergic reaction if they are one of the one in a million with the allergy. We're not talking peanuts and shellfish either, it is a LONG list.

I'm sorry, no one in either of our families has ever been allergic to 'X'. Baby can eat 'X' without waiting until she is 4. Baby loves 'X'.

Baby also loves eating hot salsa by itself...go figure.
      Yup. And if you are THAT worried about a reaction, have an Epipen on hand. No biggie. Swear people think human babies are made of glass.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314