Fourtitude.com - What did you do to your house today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35758182838485
    Results 2,101 to 2,114 of 2114
      Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-10-2019 09:22 AM #2101
      ...and this will be your next purchase to pick up all the cat poop you'll find:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-10-2019 09:30 AM #2102

Cars
      08 GLI, 07 Honda Odyssey, 15 TDI sportwagen
      05-10-2019 01:24 PM #2103
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

Probably not I have a 12'x12' sand box twenty feet away and no issue with that for a few years now. I think everyone in our neighborhood is a dog person.

5. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      05-10-2019 01:44 PM #2104
      Solar install is done.

Cars
      08 GLI, 07 Honda Odyssey, 15 TDI sportwagen
      05-12-2019 11:55 AM #2105
      Fixed the drainage on the corner of the house so it slops away. Will need to get some rocks and later today after mowing I'll seed the rest.

After that I used that material to fill the sink hole in my front yard. Was rather unsure as to what caused it so I carefully removed top soil and discovered rocks. I'm going to assume when they had shifted from the rather wet past several months from poorly backfilled utilities line.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-15-2019 11:14 PM #2106
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Solar installers finished the installation yesterday. But it seems like the engineer didn't bother to use my field dimensions and only went off the satellite view to lay out the panel design. This caused a problem because the satellite view doesn't distinguish slight differences in roof elevations caused by ridges and valleys in the roof. Then when the installers got here they laid the system out differently than the plans or what I had originally planned on through the field dimensions. We ended up with 2 panels that had to be added to the 3rd floor array that should have been on the 2nd floor roof. This caused one panel on the 3rd floor roof to hang over a ridge by about 6". I'm not sure if I should make a big deal out of it and or not.

Complete system:

Been 1 year now since the system was installed, up and running. In the meantime I moved one panel that was hung in landscape to portrait. Our output for the year is as below.

I also had to replace a display board on the inverter. Under warranty of course.

Last edited by spockcat; 05-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.

8. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      05-16-2019 09:50 AM #2107
      Wow! That’s a big array. How many panels total? What inverter did you use? I assume you have DC optimizers on the panels?

Cars
      05-16-2019 11:28 AM #2108
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Wow! That’s a big array. How many panels total? What inverter did you use? I assume you have DC optimizers on the panels?
      It is 29 panels of 300 watts each for 8.7 kW. The pool solar at the far end of the lower roof might be making you think it is larger than it really is. Inverter is a Fronius Primo 10.1. No optimizers. It is due south facing and we don't really get any shading on any individual panels except for December/January early morning and late afternoon by some neighbor's trees. Otherwise we have some nice smooth curves if the clouds don't come overhead.

10. Senior Member
      05-16-2019 01:18 PM #2109
      What is the yield figure basing on?

Like you made $1300 worth of electricity (at whatever your rate is) so you "saved" that much? Or is it a rough figure of surplus produced and you actually profited/have a huge credit with the power company?

Seems good either way, just not sure if it's a nice job, or a DAMN!!

Cars
      05-16-2019 01:48 PM #2110
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      What is the yield figure basing on?

Like you made $1300 worth of electricity (at whatever your rate is) so you "saved" that much? Or is it a rough figure of surplus produced and you actually profited/have a huge credit with the power company?

Seems good either way, just not sure if it's a nice job, or a DAMN!!
      The $1371 is based on the kWh produced multiplied by the $/kWh. I think I put in 10.1 cents/kWh when we first installed the system as that was our base rate at the time. In the meantime, our electric rate has climbed to 13.56 cents/kWh for the first 1000 kWh and 15.99 cents/kWh over 1000 kWh. So my $ yield isn't particularly accurate. It should be more like $1700-$1800. This would push my payback to about 6 years or less if Duke Energy keeps raising electric costs.

No huge profit or credit. My system only shows what I produce, not what I use or give to the grid. To see how much I give to the grid I have to read the meter. I checked a few days ago and I was about 1800 kWh in the black. Some of this will be used up in June, July and August as our normal usage during those months is higher than our past and predicted output. But we should still have about 1000 kWh overproduction.

12. Senior Member
      05-16-2019 02:47 PM #2111
      The $1371 is based on the kWh produced multiplied by the $/kWh. I think I put in 10.1 cents/kWh when we first installed the system as that was our base rate at the time. In the meantime, our electric rate has climbed to 13.56 cents/kWh for the first 1000 kWh and 15.99 cents/kWh over 1000 kWh. So my $ yield isn't particularly accurate. It should be more like $1700-$1800. This would push my payback to about 6 years or less if Duke Energy keeps raising electric costs.

No huge profit or credit. My system only shows what I produce, not what I use or give to the grid. To see how much I give to the grid I have to read the meter. I checked a few days ago and I was about 1800 kWh in the black. Some of this will be used up in June, July and August as our normal usage during those months is higher than our past and predicted output. But we should still have about 1000 kWh overproduction.
      Good timing on the install with the rates going up like that. That has to really help in those summer months you listed where you'd probably be deep into that 15.99 bracket.

If ours was billed like that the GF would probably shut off the main before she left for work everyday

Cars
      05-16-2019 04:13 PM #2112
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Good timing on the install with the rates going up like that. That has to really help in those summer months you listed where you'd probably be deep into that 15.99 bracket.

If ours was billed like that the GF would probably shut off the main before she left for work everyday
      We exceed the 1000 kWh 4 or 5 months out of 12. Usually only by 200 to 400 kWh. And the higher rate is only charged on the kWh over the first 1000 kWh. So the $ difference even at 400 kWh over the first 1000 kWh is only about $10.

Just convince your GF that the house would heat sink and thus you would have to run the A/C all night to cool the mass back down. That's what I've done with my wife. Plus we are home much of the day so we wouldn't let it warm up too much anyway.

14. Senior Member
      Today 04:22 PM #2113

Just convince your GF that the house would heat sink and thus you would have to run the A/C all night to cool the mass back down. That's what I've done with my wife. Plus we are home much of the day so we wouldn't let it warm up too much anyway.
      We have radiant heat, so I've had to have the reverse conversation about why we don't use any kind of set backs and how if we set it back 5 degrees by the time it hit that it would need to start warming back up again. She understands, she's just cheap, which is good and I love about her (most of the time)

15. Senior Member
      Today 04:51 PM #2114
      TONS of yardwork lately.

We had a bunch of mulch left from when we had all our yard waste chopped up and the branches of the trees taken down mulched.. Our pile was HUGE.. Since we had to regrade some places we had been slowly moving it, let it break down.. fill again etc but that was mostly in control so we spent some time just spreading it for decoration recently to get rid of the last of the pile.

Front corner she planted last spring pops much better now with the mulch, as well as the other part by the front gate

Rocks are just random ones from around the yard we had no use for so hey "decoration"

We got this japanese maple last fall on close out.. like 75 bucks!!!! but leaves had already fallen so we had to cross our fingers it was fine. Two little evergreen things in the corner too, some sort of dwarf thing I think so should only get 6-8ft tall maybe?

Didn't upload photo but also mulched our tree/shrub "fence" that continues the part of fence behind the maple all the way to the back alley. Our plan for all the areas mulched is to eventually have enough ground cover type plants we really don't need to mulch.

This tree is to the right of where teh mulch pile was so we just spread out what was left around it to make a nice little area and moved the bird bath that was left by the previous owner, its old and beat up but is fitting for the current state of the yard. This was 5 minutes after I moved/filled it and I scared off the birds already using it when I took the pic

There are some sort of flower/bulb things planted around the base of the bird bath area, not sure what they are other than "purple"

Then this weekend was the big project, we had no plans to finish the wood pile, but after a few leads on borrowing/bartering for a wood splitter we broke down. The local rental place charges 1 day fee for a weekend, so pickup after 4 on friday drop off monday by 8am only 78 bucks with tax. The wood pile is in the best spot of the yard for the vegetable garden so as much as we could needed to split and move...

One of my wholesale customers bought this little colorado with a bad trans for his grandson, knew I needed a truck for the splitter and said if I got it working I could use it. After a parts mix up with the trans filter stressing the GF out friday.. I got to the rental place at 3:30 (they said we could come early) and home by a little after 4.

Designed this part of the fence just for this, we can remove just the 6ft panel or the gate swings the other way and I Can remove that post for a 10ft opening. I have an arbor to mount on it that will be removable just building up some table saw projects before I make a mess.

You can see the size of the pile from the back and this is the front..

It is over 30ft wide and over my head at the highest point (I'm 6'1") It isn't full depth because of the tree but the main 30ft wide part is 3 rows deep at that 30x6, give or take what I split up over the winter by hand.

This was about 3 hours of work friday, we had laid the picket tops down earlier in the week to see if that is where we wanted to do the wood pile, so this was splitting, moving and me burying the 4x4 posts on the end.

the 4x4 posts making the ends vertical make it look a little cleaner and should keep the pitbull off it.. no problems with the lab, but he pit climbs the current wood pile all the time, then gets scared and you have to rescue her.

Saturday we worked for a while, went to our towns garden tour, and then this is what we had split and piled by saturday night

Sunday morning we had this left..

This is 3 rows deep still at that point, still 6ft in the middle there, most of the stuff on either side of the tree at this point had been split. Since the GF was curating this pile like she was redoing the MET piles were building up so I ended up just moving the splitter around until I got tired of throwing logs onto piles 5ft into the air and then moved it again... plus I hit her (on the third bounce) with a log so I was banned from throwing logs.

And sunday night around 8:30.. we got scared it was getting windy, rained for about 30 seconds, and thunderstroms were in the forecast but we did it. split every splitable log on our lot! A few were too long, some of the Y shaped ones were fighting so they are just in the fire pit pile and we have a few around still for little stools and tables. Plus some of the super wide flat that wereonly a few inches thick she wanted saved for little garden tables. like to throw in some shrubs or mulch and put potted plants on (gotta get on that garden tour in a few years!)

And the two main stacks.. these end up being roughly 3 cords combined.. 25ish feet long, by 16-18" logs by 6ft tall (1/4 cord is 16" by 4'x6')

Oh but there is more to stack

I can fit about a 2 week supply in the little leanto I made right next to the back door, but those need to get cut down to 14" to fit our stove. So probably chop those up and stock it instead of moving twice. I also started to make a little 16' holder that will go sort of near the rear door but hold the 16-18" logs. Trying to block our dogs and neighbors dogs a little since they just sit at the fence barking at each other still 2 years later

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35758182838485