Fourtitude.com - Canon 50D VS. Sony NEX-5R
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-30-2013 10:04 AM #1
      Here is my current situation I own a Canon 50D and have a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 lens along with a standard 50mm Canon lens. While I use to use my camera all the time I have found it to be too large to take with me now that I have two kids especially now that I also take a video camera.

I've debated on upgrading to a 60D which has video mode but find I don't have the time to play with my camera anymore. I also have a cousin who lives nearby that has multiple Nikon cameras and a full complement of lenses and will let me borrow them as he has when we have gone bird watching.

Here are my questions:

Should I sell the 50D and Sigma lens and purchase a Sony NEX-5R?
      For those that own a Sony NEX how do they do focusing in low light?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      13 abarth//06 pilot//90 325iS
      05-30-2013 07:54 PM #2
      that's exactly what i did a few years ago and i don't miss DSLR much. got rid of my T2i with tamron 17-50/2.8 & 70-200/4L.

focusing with the NEX in low light is a mixed bag. the 18-55mm kit and 16mm pancake are not great to focus in low light. i found that i'd get frustrated doing that and i'd just revert to focusing manually. once you do get it focused though, the sensor can grab a lot of information and the noise isn't bad at all. i now use the 35/1.8 as my "go to" lens but have yet to test out its low light focusing. i do find that it likes to back focus when i'm trying to get something in focus that's less than a foot away. again, i revert to MF when this happens.

having said all that, it's a joy to use MF on any of the NEX series cameras. i found that i went "back to basics" when i acquired a whole bunch of adapters and legacy lenses across 7-8 different mounts.

going to whore this out again since they all go on my NEX once in a while :

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-31-2013 10:03 AM #3
      Are you using a sony lens adapter to hook all these on? How well does that work? Which NEX camera do you have?

I'm going to list my Canon on Craigslist and see what it goes for as I'm hoping to sell it and the lens to get enough to purchase the NEX-5R and have money left over.

Thanks for replying this is a really hard choice to make!

Cars
      13 abarth//06 pilot//90 325iS
      05-31-2013 07:44 PM #4
      yes, adapters must be used to mount anything other than e-mount lenses. they are super cheap, though...usually anywhere from $10-$40 for them. there are other adapters that accommodate newer lenses that don't have aperture rings on them. those have electrical connections and chips so they're a lot more expensive.

i currently have the 5R but my first was the old 5. i didn't spring for the NEX 6 or 7 this time around because they don't have touch screens. using the touch screen to zoom into a chosen focus point is a blessing when you're using manual focus.

another thing to keep in mind is that you may need time to adjust to looking at an LCD instead of through a VF. within a few days, i was very comfortable "shooting from the chest" while looking down at the LCD.

good luck!

6. Member
      Cars
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      06-05-2013 02:49 PM #5
      I shoot with both a DSLR and a NEX - I picked up the NEX3 originally, then moved to the NEX-5N, to have a smaller lightweight 2nd body when the DSLR was too heavy or bulky. Sometimes I use both at the same time, bringing the NEX along on a belt holster, other times the NEX stands in for the DSLR. I can't see getting rid of either one, but mostly because of the few areas of photography where I do still need huge buffer, huge battery life, and the ability to track focus on moving subjects (I do a lot of bird-in-flight photography which is easier with a DSLR). Otherwise, the NEX can do pretty much anything the DSLR can, and as bora mentioned, it gets even more fun when you start getting into manual lenses via cheap adapters so you can go back to old SLR/Rangfinder style manual shooting - the focus peaking function and through-the-lens metering makes it a breeze to use old manual lenses, and you can pick them up cheap.

My NEX lens collection includes NEX-mount lenses, as well as Konica AR mount, Pentax K mount, and Leica M mount lenses via adapters. I've got lenses by Konica, Pentax, Rokinon, Osawa, Chinon, Vivitar, Soligor, and Voigtlander - and always looking for more! Add in my Sony and Minolta A-mount lenses for the DSLR, and I've got all kinds of brands represented.

As for low light focusing, the NEX is not quite up to DSLR standards, but A. does better with faster lenses, and B. Does better when you choose the right settings in the camera. To improve low light focus on the NEX, turn OFF the AF-assist illuminator light, set focus area to Spot, and use focus-and-recompose technique, and you can pretty well focus as fast and in almost any light as a DSLR - it just takes a little more effort on your part to help the focus system, since the on-sensor PDAF won't be effective in low light, and CDAF focus systems need a little assistance.
      _____
      Justin

2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line