VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Helen Police Responds

133K views 249 replies 161 participants last post by  Schmitty13 
#1 ·
I have read posts on the forum for the last few days and would like to thank you for attending and want to thank you for the positive attitudes regarding LE and the problem kids. I would like to respond and clear up some questions. First off regarding the call in of the GSP, our Agency has a total of 9 fulltime and 2 part time Officers. Due to shift assignments and 2 of those 9 working Security over night at the site, we are stretched thin. Friday night at the time of the problems we had only 4 Officers in the City for service, yep just 4. We needed help fast and that's why the call was made. Our Officers were told to give your members breathing room, I know myself overlooked 30 violations on Thursday alone. Remember if an Officer makes an arrest he will be out for over an hour, now make that 2 or 3 well you get the picture. The Officer on the 4 quad (a present from a local business) by Friday night had worked 14 hours had to drive 30 miles home to sleep for 5 hours to come back for another 16. I enjoyed talking and waving at a great bunch of folks, the GSP said they really enjoyed it. I have not spoken with Matt or Chris since the event (its ok guys you can call). As it stands now, it will be up to SoWo if you return, I cant speak for the City Commissioners, but I think they are willing. Now there will be changes and they will be discussed. It is my hope more dumpster will be put out. Upon speaking with the GSP Supervisor and some Commissioners, we would like to set up a burn out area or 2 and charge a small fee, this would be a secure location (crowd control). Also establish some type of paid sticker to allow you to drive on Edelwiess, controlled by your staff. Staff members working / riding with us for control. As for the Church video, Mr. "H" we know who you are and where you live, nice DL photo too. Our staff are willing to again work with you in 14. Thank you for your support.

See less See more
#54 ·
Wow, I am speechless. It's so cool that the Helen PD has reached back out to the community, and taken the time to give us feedback on the event. I think the ideas presented are fantastic ideas. A few bucks for a permit to drive on the main drag, a paid burnout pit, and more dumpsters. I also think the idea presented on the first page of maybe having some volunteers for trash duty (perhaps waive their pit/drag fees for incentive) is an awesome idea. I'd do it, incentive or not! Well...maybe a SoWo shirt would be nice :p but again, all of my respect and thanks to the Helen PD, and the GSP, for making this a safe and awesome event. From my group to you, thank you for letting us come and be a part of your awesome town.

#55 ·
Wow possibly the coolest thing I've ever read:beer:

#58 ·
I think all of the police officers were amazing, city, county, and state. Immediate response to trouble makers and not even a rumor of anyone being hassled. Cannot thank everyone enough.

As far as the burnout thing, I never really thought it was at all appropriate for this event. I think that behavior being around at all, even in a controlled area brings the wrong vibe to the show.

I usually stay on Edelweiss, I'm not really for paying to get to my hotel/condo.

More trashcans everywhere would definitely be a big help.
In response to one of the earlier comments, you don't need to volunteer to clean up, just do it.

See everybody next year!

#63 · (Edited)
It is my hope more dumpster will be put out . . . Also establish some type of paid sticker to allow you to drive on Edelwiess, controlled by your staff. Staff members working / riding with us for control. As for the Church video, Mr. "H" we know who you are and where you live, nice DL photo too. Our staff are willing to again work with you in 14. Thank you for your support.
These sentences make me think we are being trolled. Poor grammar and syntax are not the hallmarks of a police agency's PR release, official or not. Additionally, if they really knew who "Mr. H." was, I doubt they'd be posting on the internet that they're looking for him )or commenting on his DL picture) without a full name and pictures accompanied with a number to call for information tips. Obviously, these are my personal experiences working alongside city police departments and no two are the same. So who knows. If this is really Helen PD, thank you for your efforts this past weekend.

Any way you slice it, HPD and GSP were the stars of the show. Many thanks. Enjoy the silence tonight. :thumbup:

#65 ·
I first and foremost would like to thank Helen PD for the amazing job they did with what little man power they had to control a small town filled with thousands of people. Second I wod like to thank them for open there town to us for the most amazing show ! Your professionalism is out standing . So thank you very much ! I would like to also say I am sorry for the problems that were caused by other car enthusiasts and for the disrespect that you might have revived . Thank you again Helen PD and to all the locals in Helen for allowing us .

#68 · (Edited)
It was nice speaking with you on Sunday afternoon by the Haunted House and great to hear your perspective and ideas. Glad you found your way onto here and thank you again! :thumbup: :beer: (I was the Asian one in the group of people with cameras chatting in front of your truck)

To those questioning the validity of this post, everything posted here was said in person with a bunch of us while we were shooting cars and he even mentioned possibly posting on Vortex :)

#82 ·
If passes were done to drive through the main street or something then it should be only open to vw/Audis as the show is for those cars. Maybe do something like waterfest does with windshield displayed passes.

These are all great ideas and like someone said I hope the openness and hospitality thought remains and doesn't change. Makes me that much more excited for 2014

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.