Fourtitude.com - Noob Rally help!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. n00b
      05-06-2013 07:56 PM #1
      Hello everyone I just got an old sweet and wonderful mk2 gti that pretty much is a car with no interior, so rather than restoring it to stock, I was wondering if anyone could lend some advice into brands and processes to follow and build into the car. the project will begin as soon as I have enough info to well get things started lol. The car about to undergo a full strip for a bolt by bolt restoration of the chassis, and as soon as I find out how, well it reinforcement, I'll post pictures as soon as I can guys and please o please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. n00b
      05-07-2013 01:18 AM #2
      forgott to say the idea is to make it the optimal north america rally car, so any advice is welcomed-

4. 06-07-2013 01:29 AM #3
      Use this for guidance, they have a really nice car. Also, go find Quantum Rally Sport of facebook and stock all their photos.
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...k2-Rally-Shell
      Honestly, unless you have a bunch of money, time, and fabrication skills, you should buy a rally car instead of build one.
      You can find a mk2 rally car in the US for $5k with spares. Building one that will last more than 20 miles will cost about double that by the time it's all finished.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. n00b
      06-10-2013 06:36 PM #4
      the idea comes from my passion for rally and a college teacher of mine, the idea is to turn this into a two year college project where money will come fluidly through the school, as for the skills well the idea of the car is to improve the skills of a team of college students from mexico city involving industrial and mechatronic engineers, and hey thanks a bunch for the guide man it truly helps. I hope I can upload some pics soon, the hunt for a 16v gti mk2 is turning into quite a good one

7. 07-15-2013 03:03 PM #5
      If you can find a mk3 easier than a mk2, use that. The 16V engine really isn't that much better than an 8V. Yes you can make good power with a 16V, but you can make really good power with a 8V for arguably less money and head ache/ problems.
      You also don't need a GTI either. Not much of a difference between the two. My mk2 has a lot of mk3 parts and now some mk4 parts on it. All the GTI parts have been removed and replaced with bigger and better parts from newer cars. Hit up the used market or the local junkyard/wrecking yard for the go fast bits. You will save a lot of money in the long run!

8. n00b
      07-16-2013 11:00 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by culberro View Post
      If you can find a mk3 easier than a mk2, use that. The 16V engine really isn't that much better than an 8V. Yes you can make good power with a 16V, but you can make really good power with a 8V for arguably less money and head ache/ problems.
      You also don't need a GTI either. Not much of a difference between the two. My mk2 has a lot of mk3 parts and now some mk4 parts on it. All the GTI parts have been removed and replaced with bigger and better parts from newer cars. Hit up the used market or the local junkyard/wrecking yard for the go fast bits. You will save a lot of money in the long run!
      thanks Ive been looking for a good chassis but the tough mexican terrain and the lack of maintenance has turned it into a nightmare lol indeed I will follow your advice nd simply look for a swell mk2 thanks for the tip!