Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      04-16-2013 01:19 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Exhaustdd View Post
      Or he lives in a state that won't let him renew his plates because of that CEL.
      I live in MD we have emissions testing (every 2 or 3 years) and you do not pass with a CEL. Granted I have a way to reset the CEL as long as it stays off long enough to get tested. I don't know when the Mazda was last tested as it is my wife's car.

My thoughts are we either replace the O2 and cat or replace the car. My reasoning is that we already had 1 cat replaced under warranty so I'm betting the cat is going bad if it is not already. My other thought is well how long until the 3rd one dies meaning we are getting it worked on again?

My wife wants to replace just the O2 sensors and see if this fixes the problem. Then if the cat goes she wants to replace the car.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      04-16-2013 01:19 PM #27
      Ok, you're the authority on everything that is or isn't productive...my bad.
      do you really think that the OP has a vehicle registration that is pending so he needs this work done ASAP??

Cars
      04-16-2013 01:21 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      I live in MD we have emissions testing (every 2 or 3 years) and you do not pass with a CEL. Granted I have a way to reset the CEL as long as it stays off long enough to get tested. I don't know when the Mazda was last tested as it is my wife's car.

My thoughts are we either replace the O2 and cat or replace the car. My reasoning is that we already had 1 cat replaced under warranty so I'm betting the cat is going bad if it is not already. My other thought is well how long until the 3rd one dies meaning we are getting it worked on again?

My wife wants to replace just the O2 sensors and see if this fixes the problem. Then if the cat goes she wants to replace the car.
      the cats are $2-300 each.

so even if you have to replace the o2 and all 3 cats (likely not)... thats $1k.
      or spend $20k+ on a new car.

ball is in your court.

its only a 2004, not that old really.
      and its only just over 100k miles, no that high.

my cars are sitting at about 130k, 140k, 160k.

5. Member
      Cars
      '15 GTI 6mt
      04-16-2013 01:25 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      do you really think that the OP has a vehicle registration that is pending so he needs this work done ASAP??
      No of course not but it is something to consider. People will keep driving if nothing is wrong with the way it drives, then before you know it...time to get sticker or plates. For people in those states its inevitable...that's all. And I want someone on here to get a new 6 and tell us about it

6. 04-16-2013 01:34 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      Okay here is the situation my wife's car a 2004 Mazda 6 (V6) with 104,000 miles has had a check engine light come on a couple of times with a code (P0421) which is about the O2 sensor or catalyitic converter.

My question is do you think we should

1) replace the car with a new car since it has a value of around $4,000?

2) get the O2 sensors replaced and then see if the catalyitic converter goes later?

3) replace both the O2 sensors and catalyitic converter replaced and hope nothing else breaks?

If we did get a replacement it would be a similar vehicle such as a new Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, or Kia Optima.
      Why would you start replacing things that are still functioning 100%? Replace them as needed. It's not like brakes or suspension where you can legitimately feel they are close to being worn out. Replace the one bad O2 sensor and be on your way.

BUT, if you are just looking for excuses to buy a new car, then just buy a new car. No one on the internet is going to talk you out of it.

Cars
      04-16-2013 01:34 PM #31
      And I want someone on here to get a new 6 and tell us about it
      see NOW we have the truth.

enabler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12