VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Cam adjuster oil rings

107K views 99 replies 34 participants last post by  vwooom 
#1 · (Edited)
Cam adjuster oil rings (Solved)

So I'm working on a customer's 06 Jetta with the 2.0T. I go to put the cam chain cover back on, and when I start to tighten the bolts I hear a snapping sound.

So that tube sticking out of the inside of the timing chain cover goes into the camshaft adjuster. The sealing ring that I broke allows the adjuster solenoid to send different oil pressures to the different chambers inside the adjuster. So just replace that little oil ring right? Easy.

I called the dealer, and apparently the only way you can buy these oil sealing rings is in a whole kit that includes the adjuster and the chain cover, and my cost is over $800.

Anyone out there know if it's possible to buy these rings separate from the dealer? Or if there's anyone in the aftermarket that makes them? Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have had that happen upon removal of that cover. Yes the rings are not sold seperately. Be careful,those rings are plastic and the cam adjuster spins AROUND them,so the plastic gives it lubricity,if you use a metal ring it may have too much friction and cause other problems.
We found one on here used from a blown motor for $200.00.
Look around,and you can find them. Total idiot design though..........plastic "rings" that snap when you breathe on them.......lol.

#6 ·
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've got a mechanic working on my car that ran into this issue. He told me it'd be 700 bucks for the part but obviously I don't want to pay that considering I'm already paying for a very expensive repair as it is and he's taken almost 2 weeks to get to this point of almost done.

I'm having a HELL of a time trying to source a used WHOLE housing....

So, my main question is, how did a machine shop make you one? And how much did it cost?

Thanks,

Chris

#11 · (Edited)
ZapAuto, thanks a lot for this thread!

After replacing my cam chain tensioner I started to get P000A/P0010 trouble codes. I had no clue why it was happening (I was initially blaming N205 valve, then possibly missing a tooth on a cam chain) up until I've found this thread which immediately pointed me to the right direction. I recalled seeing parts of this ring when putting my cam housing back on.

My original housing was 06F-103-107-P and had these brittle plastic rings. I managed to get a used one off eBay for $200 (06F-103-107-H), which has these rings made of steel.
The steel rings (if you manage to get spare ones) are actually replaceable, but if you break plastic ones you definitely need to buy a new housing assembly.

Some people above recommended rubber/viton rings as a replacement. I'm not sure how well it would work since the material needs to be low-friction because it constantly slides against the interior of the adjuster sprocket as it rotates.

#13 ·
So are the newer revisions with the G and H in the part number? Where is the part number on the cover? I want to check to see which revision I have before I pull this apart. From what I read above If I already have the G or H revision I will not need to replace the cover.

Thanks

#14 ·
Is there a proper way or trick to install the cover so the plastic rings do not break?

I have a spare cover just in case I need it, but don't want to break either if there is some trick to install. I'll be happy to sell my spare cover should I not need it. ;)

Thanks!

#16 ·
The way to install these is the clean out the inside boreof the cam and get rid of the oil residue "ridges,I use a scotch brit pad,and then I use a liquid assembly lube (oil is fine) and coat the rings,make SURE you install the piston into the bore of the camshaft hydo adjuster STRAIGHT IN and not cockeyed or you WILL brake those rings!! I also rotate/rock the cover assembly back and forth while lightly pressing it into the camshaft and that is my secret to success. I have rebuilt 4 heads on these cars and that works every time. what sucks with this CRAP design is that over time ridges form on the insode bore of the cam adjuster and when you remove the end cover the dried up oil ridges catch and break the plastic rings upon removal!

#24 · (Edited)
I understand what you mean, but I found that upon inspecting my adjuster that the ridges are actually worn grooves in the adjuster metal itself and aren't dried up oil making ridges. How much wear is acceptable?

This new unit has no grooves at all.

Look at how worn mine is. You can easily feel these grooves and they are severe enough that they probably caught the ring and broke it on removal or install.

#18 ·
My original cover had the plastic rings, but I successfully re-installed it without any issues or broken rings.

I didn't clean the inside bore of the cam adjuster or use any oil on parts. I just took the original cover off, replaced chain and tensioner, then slowly put the cover back on. I kind of jiggled the cover as I was putting it in place to make sure the rings would not get caught on anything. I made sure the cover sat fully flush against the cylinder head before I starting putting the bolts back on. Last thing you want to do is tighten down the bolts as a means of bringing the cover flush with the cylinder head. That's just asking to break something by slowly 'forcing' the parts together. My original cover had the plastic rings and I did the chain replacement at 174,000 miles. No parts were broken or issues putting back together.

I guess my point is, if you're thinking about doing the job, don't let concern over these rings stop you from doing it. That said, I was relieved to have a spare chain cover just in case I needed it. If you want to be prepared, get a spare cover to have on standby. Now that I'm down, I'm selling my spare - HERE

#19 ·
A good friend of mine owns Beisan Systems, the original BMW Vanos sealing ring repair gurus. It looks like the FSI sealing rings are very similar, made from Teflon, so I asked him if he would be willing to help research and manufacture replacements.

I'm not very familiar with the FSI variations, but it appears that these plastic rings were used for a short period of time, then an improved version was made with metal rings. To help with business case, can anyone tell me how long the plastic ring version of the cover was in production?

It takes a while to select the right compound for these rings, or some investment to have originals tested for content, so I want to be as persuasive as I can. Once the material has been nailed down, the manufacturing can happen quite quickly. Does anyone have a used ring that they could spare for the cause?

BTW, on the BMW, the rings wear over time and performance is lost. It's such a gradual thing that the owners don't notice until the car starts to stall or throw codes. The same might be true in the FSI, if pressure is bleeding by the sealing rings, the valve adjustment will not be as effective as it once was.

Cheers,
David

#20 ·
Hi David,

My car is a 2006 Jetta with 2.0T FSI engine and it has the plastic rings. The cam chain cover has part number 06f103530P and from what I understand, they went to metal rings once they the part number chanced to 06f103530G but not sure how many years between. I can send you one of my broken rings so you can use it to test the material. Just send me your address and I will drop it in the mail. I talked to the local VW dealer and he said they break all the time when they pull the cover so I think you could make a lot of money if you could provide and aftermarket replacement.

Jeff

#21 ·
Broken or missing ? Cam adjuster rings

I just found this thread and find it strange that I had not found another posting stating P codes P0010 and P0011 could be caused if you had recently had the camshaft adjuster housing off. I had to due a total rebuild of our 2007 BWT. wit Starting the engine I received the code P0010. I cleared the code and received the P0011 code. Making me think I screwed up timing belt timing or cam shaft timing. Not wanting to remove the head again I ordered all new parts that are inside the camshaft adjuster housing, plus a new NP205. Cleaning the housings mounting surface I noticed the part that the oil sealing rings mount on. The center area looked different. I then figured with out the center sealing ring was missing and the camshaft adjuster would not work without it. When I found this thread it became obvious, that I had just spent $500 when $60 would have worked. The part numbers for just the sealing rings is 06F 198 107 A. A far cry from the $600 plus for the complete. Should anyone have something they would like to add please do and correct any incorrect statements.

#22 ·
P000A CEL code

I recently opened this cover to check if the broken piece Cam follower was lying around there. Since then I have gotten this code. I had the plastic one. I have 2006 vw passat 2.0T. My question is, can I use the metal ring instead of the plastic ring? And if not, what are my options? How can I change to the metal rings? Do I need to buy a new adjuster as well if I wanna upgrade to the metal rings? and Last question, is it safe to drive the car?

#23 · (Edited)
Does anyone here have a extra housing? I took mine off to find a broken ring when doing the cam chain adjuster.:banghead:

My housing looks to be toast as well as I see some sort of chewed up metal by the ring at the bottom of stack that broke. I tried putting the broken ring on and it won't spin when it gets to to marred area. Is a G interchangeable with an H?

#25 ·
Did anyone else notice the shape of their cam adjuster/variator when they did their cam chain tensioner? I am a bit worried that this wear is excessive for a 71k engine. It did have the HPFP and cam replaced at some point prior to my ownership, under warranty I assume. I hope this isn't a sign of wear from excessive shavings/metal in the oil because if it is I'd be concerned about the rod or main bearings.

#26 ·
My adjuster unit did not have those grooves when I did my chain/tensioner at 170,000 miles for the first time. I have an early '06 build GTI, with the PLASTIC rings. Did yours have the metal or plastic rings? I would suspect that the metal rings could possibly make those grooves, but not plastic. The plastic would wear down first. It could also be possible that those grooves were intentionally put there on certain build dates for the adjusters ??? Just a thought.

#27 ·
Mine did have the metal rings. Aren't those rings supposed to be fairly locked down in the variator/adjuster so that they spin with it while creating the seal for the oil passages? If the diameter increases via these grooves the rings won't be able to create as tight a seal. I don't think these are put on there for any specific build date and the part number that Audi/VW gives for all 2.0T engines is pictured as smooth like above. There would be no reason to have those grooves as it would put unnecessary stress on the rings when removing the cam chain cover.

#31 · (Edited)
Thanks for the offer but I've already ordered the replacement parts as I need to get my car out of my friend's shop ASAP so it's not taking up space. I did find out this weekend that there is a kit that includes the Cam adjuster, cam chain cover and gasket for less than all these parts sell for separately though! I would have saved $50 and had the parts much sooner had I ordered even with the prices I got my parts at, but over list I think the savings are closer to $150.

The part number for the kit is: 06F198088D
At the moment it is ~$630 for the kit from online parts sellers.

Hopefully that will help someone else out if they have to replace both adjuster and the cover. Seeing as there is an OEM kit for these parts I'm guessing I am not the only one with this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.