Fourtitude.com - Because rally car,...Bueller?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      many
      12-10-2012 02:12 PM #1
      well looks like a lively group here in the motorsport section.

hello everyone we are starting a new project here. branching into rallying scene with this new car.
      together with me and few friends we call ourselves Team DEP

Building this project as fast as we can so we can be ready for the 2013 SCCA rallycross season
      Here's what we started with

97 vw jetta trek edition shell

was past show car (pvw feb 07) and a 1/4 drag car 12second abaT. Some of you may recognize the car. The rolling shell was ideal because this is going to be a complete frame up build. no bolt overlooked or unturned here.

got the car right and the shop and started rummaging through the car to see what goodies were inside (my right hand man , kyle f in the pic)

The mk3 has been garaged for 10 years. and the body was in very good shape considering its still a mk3; So it was a no brainer for us.

The goodie list as follows

Welded 6pt cage
      10 gallon fuel cell
      welded solid motor/trans mounts
      battery cut off
      poly control arm bushings
      carbon fiber golf hood.
      smoked tails
      sparco wheel(little rough)
      front wheel studs
      full plastic sideskirts (christmas miracle )
      also found some rear mk4 calipers in there which we will be using.

heres some photos

mk2 flares and mirror delete

ok now we ripped the carpet out. to see how the floors were
      at first they didnt look too bad (surprising for a mk3)

a closer eye discovered hairline cracks on the front and some holes in the rear but overall much better then we thought

give us some feedback for more updates!
      Last edited by demelok; 12-31-2013 at 07:16 PM.
      SoMa Imports INC
      European & Japanese vehicle importer/sales
      Westport, MA 02790
      http://facebook.com/somaimportsinc
      http://somaimports.net

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      97 JETTA, 09 GTI
      12-10-2012 02:41 PM #2
      we probably got about 20 hours in the floor. almost ready for paint! well have to take some better pictures of the entire floor for a good before and after

4. 12-13-2012 10:27 AM #3
      im starting my mk2 rally build right after christmas. ill make sure i have a build thread so your not lonely in here.
      check out specialstage and rallyanarchy as well. you might find some good info there.

also that cage will be fine for scca rallycross but if you ever want to do stage rally it wont pass tech.

good luck with your build.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      12-13-2012 03:04 PM #4
      I'll be watching this thread as well.

I've got an mk2 that i am trying to freshen up a bit to start competing in scca rallyx NER region and can definitely use the help.

If guys are nearby it might be good to meet up and grab a beer and talk plans. i am about 30 min outside of boston.

i also posted a question on suspension for rallyx in 2 various threads.

7. Member
      Cars
      97 JETTA, 09 GTI
      12-13-2012 04:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nutbox11 View Post
      im starting my mk2 rally build right after christmas. ill make sure i have a build thread so your not lonely in here.
      check out specialstage and rallyanarchy as well. you might find some good info there.

also that cage will be fine for scca rallycross but if you ever want to do stage rally it wont pass tech.

good luck with your build.
      Thanks man! yah we looked up this thread the other day and there wasnt a single post in it haha. It'd be nice to see some posts and following in it. Looking forward to seeing your build!

8. Member
      Cars
      97 JETTA, 09 GTI
      12-13-2012 04:57 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by rallyplasma View Post
      I'll be watching this thread as well.

I've got an mk2 that i am trying to freshen up a bit to start competing in scca rallyx NER region and can definitely use the help.

If guys are nearby it might be good to meet up and grab a beer and talk plans. i am about 30 min outside of boston.

i also posted a question on suspension for rallyx in 2 various threads.
      Where abouts from boston? we live in dartmouth, its about an hour trip. Suspension is tricky for rally. you actually want a softer setup as far as ride stiffness. you want the car to be able to take the terrain and hug the road instead of bouncing off of it. We are probably going with some koni yellows and a sport spring of some sort.

Cars
      many
      12-13-2012 08:52 PM #7
      thanks fellas , good to see other people jumping into the sport as well. yes we realize the cage isnt up to rally america/ stage regulations. we plan to get the car to that point though one day.

heres the pass side. not to shabby other then the random hole in the floor

(those cute seat brackets were removed instantly)

close up of random hole

marking up the metal to weld in.

here's a unfinished shot of the floor to get an idea.

random bracketry cut off

^ traction bars that the PO welded on the rear beam(those came off first)

random pic ( not the peeling , depressing steering wheel)

well the dash was coming out next . so while taking the depressing wheel off we decided to spruce it up

painting here.

painted flat black, clean off and cloth taped the top portion, came out nice for what it was

oh and for the powerplant just a aba pulled from my mk3 back in 08

it's been a flowerpot on the grass for sometime now
      stay tuned
      SoMa Imports INC
      Westport, MA 02790

10. Member
      12-14-2012 09:27 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by kyledubbs View Post
      Where abouts from boston? we live in dartmouth, its about an hour trip. Suspension is tricky for rally. you actually want a softer setup as far as ride stiffness. you want the car to be able to take the terrain and hug the road instead of bouncing off of it. We are probably going with some koni yellows and a sport spring of some sort.

i am about 30 min south of boston near foxboro. have you had any experience or have you heard anything on bilstein HD's? i am leaning towards these but not sure... thnx for the tip on suspension softeness.

11. Member
      12-14-2012 09:38 AM #9

i am about 30 min south of boston near foxboro. have you had any experience or have you heard anything on bilstein HD's? i am leaning towards these but not sure... thnx for the tip on suspension softeness.

12. Member
      12-14-2012 09:51 AM #10

13. Member
      Cars
      97 JETTA, 09 GTI
      12-14-2012 12:01 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by rallyplasma View Post
      foxboro is about a 30 to 45 min ride....the bilstein HD is a firmer shock than a factory one but is un adjustable. the valving will be much better than a stock strut but you wont have any control over the dampening as you would with a koni yellow. so your only ride adjustment would be with different spring ratings

14. 12-15-2012 10:03 AM #12
      what class do you plan on running in?

Cars
      many
      12-16-2012 12:26 AM #13
      well here i am working on removing some of the sound deadening and insulation of the car

very tedious task but the results are very much worth it.

flowerpot motor taken apart,

and mounted on the stand

the class we will be running is MF just because we already had "lightened panels and misc stuff already removed" would take more money and time to work backwards to try to put it in a lower class
      SoMa Imports INC
      Westport, MA 02790

16. 12-22-2012 03:32 AM #14
      What are your future plans for it?

For rallycross, it looks like you're off on a good track, but if you're going to rally it in the future now would be a good time to get some reinforcing in, particularly around the strut towers. And yeah, from a rally standpoint, that cage is junk but it sounds like you know that.

An ABA is a good strong motor. You can bump the compression up quite a bit and get more pop out of it, and do other things like stroke it (a little) and bore it (a little). Or just rebuild it as-is and get some Techtonics stuff to pep it up a little. Depends on your time and budget.

You should also be thinking about what to do for a tranny. An LSD will be a great help, as well as a bigger RP set.

17. Member
      Cars
      97 JETTA, 09 GTI
      12-22-2012 11:03 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mhoche View Post
      What are your future plans for it?

For rallycross, it looks like you're off on a good track, but if you're going to rally it in the future now would be a good time to get some reinforcing in, particularly around the strut towers. And yeah, from a rally standpoint, that cage is junk but it sounds like you know that.

An ABA is a good strong motor. You can bump the compression up quite a bit and get more pop out of it, and do other things like stroke it (a little) and bore it (a little). Or just rebuild it as-is and get some Techtonics stuff to pep it up a little. Depends on your time and budget.

You should also be thinking about what to do for a tranny. An LSD will be a great help, as well as a bigger RP set.
      We're rebuilding an aba and taking as much as we can off the head and block and throwing some TT goodies in from my old jetta. As for a trans were running an O2A swap. progress is a little slow, trying to source suspension and get the mk4 brake setup installed.

Cars
      many
      12-22-2012 11:09 AM #16
      you can read me like a book.

yes all you say is true, we are going to be using a o2a tranny , much stronger then a 020 bigger pressure plate and clutch, hydro pedal and cable linkage is going to make a world of a difference.

a dif just isnt our budget at the moment. more updates soon
      SoMa Imports INC
      Westport, MA 02790

19. Member
      12-22-2012 05:21 PM #17
      I am looking fwd to seeing how both of your guys build goes. Are you guys planning on running the Jan 12th/13th ? for my own car i am probably gonna do a tranny swap to a 020 4K (close ratio) and am working on locating an LSD. For power i am just doing a cam, chip and header+exhaust...at least thats the plan...but you know how that goes. lastly, for suspension i am leaning towards getting some bilstein hd's revalved. the next couple of weeks are going to be crazy!

Cars
      many
      12-25-2012 11:49 AM #18
      no our build is too deep to get that quick of a turn around time. we are looking at march realistically. really starting from the ground up on this one.

but here is some updates.

we (kyle& kyle) removed the engine wirring harness and fusebox from the donor car.
      she was a pretty big fish.

scuffed down the cage for paint

ready to shoot the first coat of primer

all we have for now, hope everyone is having a merry christmas
      SoMa Imports INC
      Westport, MA 02790

Cars
      95 GTI TDI RALLY CAR
      01-05-2013 12:47 AM #19
      looks fantastic guys.. I'm about to move back east with my mk3 rally car (well mostly built rally car) can't wait to meet you at the track. Btw check Banchwerks in Prov if you haven't Jesse is a bit rally/rallyx guy

22. 01-06-2013 12:18 PM #20
      Looks like a good start. Subscribing to this.
      K20 mk2 gti track car, project 2013

Cars
      many
      01-06-2013 06:02 PM #21
      Well i hope everyone had a great christmas and new years.

back to work slowly because its been soo cold.
      cage primed up

then shot it silver metallic

next we tackle the floors.

Quote Originally Posted by dextervw View Post
      looks fantastic guys.. I'm about to move back east with my mk3 rally car (well mostly built rally car) can't wait to meet you at the track. Btw check Banchwerks in Prov if you haven't Jesse is a bit rally/rallyx guy
      ha we were actually at banchwerks talking to jesse about 3 weeks before we bought this car. its ironic but we didnt plan to even get into rallying but we couldnt pass up this car.

thanks for the subscribe
      SoMa Imports INC
      Westport, MA 02790

Cars
      nothing running
      01-06-2013 08:53 PM #22
      i remember when this was show and then to drag and i cant wait to see the rally car. i am building a mk1 berg cup replica for hill climb
      The Certain People

We Are All Whores Just Some Of Us Get Paid

Cars
      95 GTI TDI RALLY CAR
      01-07-2013 12:05 PM #23
      no problem! I'm stoked to see this up and rallyxing! the more dubs the merrier... now to get mine running :-)

26. Member
      Cars
      97 JETTA, 09 GTI
      01-07-2013 04:23 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by dextervw View Post
      no problem! I'm stoked to see this up and rallyxing! the more dubs the merrier... now to get mine running :-)
      I see the car in your sig, is that what your trying to get running?

Cars
      95 GTI TDI RALLY CAR
      01-07-2013 04:44 PM #25
      It is... this is how she looked just before being loaded in the trailer for the long ride home.. wiring, fuel, brakes, etc.. all have to go in before shes stage ready....

engine:

a year ago:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast