VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

01 Jetta 1.8T GT3582R

35K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rm2932 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I just helped my friend tune his 2001 VW Jetta. It has the 1.8 turbo motor and has been HEAVILY modified. Just listing a couple main things are stroked to a 2.0 or 2.1 liter, big port head, aftermarket intake manifold, custom made tubular exhasut manifold, GT3582R turbo, and everything else that normally is done at this level. FMIC, cams, fuel pump, 160lb/hr injectors, etc. etc.

All runs were done in 3rd gear. We did do one in 4th during tuning just to see spool up difference. It spools 400rpm faster when dynoed in 4th gear.

Ok this car has been dynoed tune and here is the final ignition table for 93 octane pump gas:

As you can see he is not going to run more than 20psi (240kpa) on 93 octane and here is the results on the dyno:

Now for 110 octane race gas, here is the tuned out timing chart:

Here is the dyno results, note the map sensor on this pull was fluctuating between 315kpa and 305 kpa which is 30 psi:

Just thought I would post this for people that are interested. Everyone does stuff different but this is how we did his car.

See less See more
#7 ·
No boost plot, but compression is 8.5:1, and he is running a Electromotive TEC3R

What size backhousing? .63AR or .82AR?
.82 A/R

Doesnt look to paired just looks like its running 2 gates. Pic doesnt show too much. I could be wrong though
Your right. He is just running two gates. He had a Full Race copy manifold and had boost creep problems. It would creep to about 20psi by 7000rpm. Looked to be on pace for about 22 to 23psi by 8000rpm He is a welder for a living, so he made his own manifold with twin gates. With his full race copy, we pulled the wastegate off the manifold so it was just an open hole and the boost still creeped to 12 psi by redline.

#9 ·
Thanks

We can even inflate the numbers like most shops do by lowering the smoothing and changing the correction from SAE to STD. STD just figures out what horsepower would be at 60 degrees rather than SAE which does it for 80 degrees. Obviously cooler temps equal more horsepower.

#12 ·
Amazing work guys:thumbup::thumbup:

That power curve is astounding for a 35r. Not the "light switch" curve normally associated with that Turbo. Must be the twin scroll doing its thang. Id love to see more detailed pics of that engine. So clean...

#15 ·
He made the copy. After doing research from other cars manifold designs and talking with turbosmart and tial. We concluded the problem was that the wastegate pipe was almost 180* turn for the exhaust flow to get out. So the new design keeps the exhaust flowing the same direction to exit. And he went over board and put 2 gates in even though he didn't need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.