Fourtitude.com - Locksmith Lounge - can a new key be made for a lock missing the original key?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 52
    1. Member Egz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      18,407
      Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      11-08-2012 10:11 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
      I once seen a locksmith blacken a blank key with soot from a lighter, insert the key and turn. The tumblers made marks on the soot and he knew what pattern to cut the key to.
      I don't think that would work like that. All it would tell you is where the pins are, and not the size of each pin.

      A locksmith can cut you a new key, as stated above. Remove the cylinder, they would separate the lock, measure the pins, cut the key, and reassemble. As for removing the cylinder without the key, thats up to you.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      44,123
      Cars
      2008 Camry Wagon
      11-08-2012 10:14 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 92skirmishgti View Post
      Am I the only one who thought this?

      MKIV flip keys work better
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

    4. 11-08-2012 10:15 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 92skirmishgti View Post
      Am I the only one who thought this?

      Nope.

    5. Member YEAHTOM's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2003
      Location
      Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
      Posts
      1,940
      Cars
      2009 VW JETTA
      11-08-2012 10:19 AM #29
      Call this dude



      On serious note any lock smith worth a damn should be able to make you a key to pretty much any lock.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,150
      11-08-2012 10:28 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Quattro Krant View Post
      Please explain the thought process that you went through?

      I've got a question for a locksmith. Should I spend the 5 seconds and call a locksmith and get the answer straight from the horses mouth or ask a bunch of people online? I'll ask the people online, seems the better way to go
      No problem! This was my thought process:

      I've got a question for a locksmith. While I'm here at work, should I could spend 2 to 3 minutes typing up a new thread and receive instant updates through my open email window on my monitor, or should I spend 5 to 6 minutes looking up a locksmith on Google, and then spend another 10 minutes on the phone with the locksmith, even though I KNOW the locksmith will just tell me something to the effect of, "Well... you said it's an old lock on an 80 year old bike frame and you're not sure of the condition... please bring it in to me and I can give you the answer." I'll ask people online seems the better way to go


    7. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,150
      11-08-2012 10:33 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      In all honesty, I gave the OP an OEM solution in under 4 minutes that no locksmith would have been able to have given him. The real question should be "Was the googles broke?".
      You did? I don't don't see how. I don't have any confirmation on the make, model or year of the bike at all. But I do appreciate that link for possible future reference.

      Googles was not broked... however, OT was already up on my browser.

    8. 11-08-2012 11:02 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      You did? I don't don't see how. I don't have any confirmation on the make, model or year of the bike at all. But I do appreciate that link for possible future reference.

      Googles was not broked... however, OT was already up on my browser.
      Sorry, I saw Schwinn Phantom in you post. That lockset is a Schwinn repop for a Phantom. I missed the word "like" in your description of the bike.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,150
      11-08-2012 12:00 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Sorry, I saw Schwinn Phantom in you post. That lockset is a Schwinn repop for a Phantom. I missed the word "like" in your description of the bike.
      I figured.

      BTW...

      - you replied with info on Phantom stuff in mere minutes...
      - you used the term "repop" in reference to bikes...
      - my guess is you've at least dabbled in collectible Schwinns

      - sooooo..... are you interested in buying some late 60's Stingrays?

    10. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      38,385
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-08-2012 12:23 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      - sooooo..... are you interested in buying some late 60's Stingrays?
      My first bike was a Stingray, I wish I still had it.
      this signature kills fascists.

      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,150
      11-24-2012 03:19 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      My first bike was a Stingray, I wish I still had it.
      Interested in getting another one?

      I have a complete 1968 Stingray Apple Krate and also a complete 1968 Stingray Fastback (Coppertone) for sale.
      I also other miscellaneous Stingray parts and frames for sale if you're interested in just parts.

      Let me know and I can send some pics.

    12. 11-24-2012 03:35 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post


      - sooooo..... are you interested in buying some late 60's Stingrays?
      I still have my Stingray. I got it for $89 in 1982 as dead stock from a Schwinn dealer. I also have a Super Sport.

    13. 11-24-2012 03:45 PM #37
      Since we're on the topic of schwinns, I bought a green Scwinn Varsity a couple weeks ago and I'm in the middle of a resto-moding it. The original paint looks great on it and I'll post some pics when I get back to dc.

      Do you collect/sell them?
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

    14. Member -DWM-'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 16th, 2006
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      1,832
      Cars
      2010 Mazda5, 2018 Mazda CX-5
      11-25-2012 05:45 AM #38
      I have a Stingray Banana Crate frame and parts lying around somewhere.
      I wish I had a cool car.
      Out Girl Out first photo responder.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,150
      11-25-2012 12:12 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by -DWM- View Post
      I have a Stingray Banana Crate frame and parts lying around somewhere.
      If it's a Yellow Stingray Krate, it's not called a "Banana Crate", that would be a "Lemon Peeler Krate".

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,150
      11-25-2012 12:15 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by peoples_car View Post
      Since we're on the topic of schwinns, I bought a green Scwinn Varsity a couple weeks ago and I'm in the middle of a resto-moding it. The original paint looks great on it and I'll post some pics when I get back to dc.

      Do you collect/sell them?
      Yes and no... I did collect old bikes, but not road, touring or cruiser bikes. I strictly collected muscle bikes (late '60s to mid '70s chopper bikes). I don't collect anymore though, and I'm now trying to sell my collection.

    17. Member -DWM-'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 16th, 2006
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      1,832
      Cars
      2010 Mazda5, 2018 Mazda CX-5
      11-25-2012 07:53 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      If it's a Yellow Stingray Krate, it's not called a "Banana Crate", that would be a "Lemon Peeler Krate".
      Cool. Now I know.
      I wish I had a cool car.
      Out Girl Out first photo responder.

    18. 08-22-2017 09:16 AM #42
      Still applies today. However, getting a new key made up for an existing lock is potentially more expensive than getting a new lock and key altogether. Might not be worth the hassle if it can be easily drilled out!
      Jono
      Make a living at ealing locksmiths

    19. 08-22-2017 12:21 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by jono23 View Post
      Still applies today. However, getting a new key made up for an existing lock is potentially more expensive than getting a new lock and key altogether. Might not be worth the hassle if it can be easily drilled out!
      Wait...you bumped a 5 year old thread to say this? I am guessing OP has taken care of this a long time ago...

    20. Member westsideseal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2002
      Location
      The Bay
      Posts
      5,478
      08-22-2017 12:34 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
      Wait...you bumped a 5 year old thread to say this? I am guessing OP has taken care of this a long time ago...
      Na, OP has been at the bike seller's house for the last 5 years waiting for the response. Now he can finally buy the bike and get back to his neglected family.

    21. Member Code Red!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 22nd, 2011
      Location
      I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Posts
      3,654
      Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      08-22-2017 12:45 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Na, OP has been at the bike seller's house for the last 5 years waiting for the response. Now he can finally buy the bike and get back to his neglected family.
      Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the moon passes, eclipsing the setting sun, the last light of Durin’s Day will shine upon the key-hole and you will find your missing key.
      A loving welcome from TCL

      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

    22. Member robr2's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      8,493
      Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      08-22-2017 01:26 PM #46

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      morgan hill, ca
      Posts
      10,419
      Cars
      04 GTI, 03 E46, 17 Cross Trek
      08-22-2017 02:45 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      Thanks much for that info!

      However, I'm still very curious about the possibility of a key being made for an existing lock without the original key.

      Is that even a possibility?

      Why would that not be a possibility. But I assume for that much trouble just buy a new lock?
      Declaring yourself to be a chicken does not make you a chicken - Ben Shapiro

    24. Member Fracas's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2001
      Location
      Calgary
      Posts
      5,734
      08-22-2017 05:45 PM #48
      I have done this, the long story short, lost keys to my Xterra last year, had no spare. I found and contacted an Automotive locksmith to get a new key make for the locks.

      its a pretty complex system they use to source out something with the key, then they use this tool that has adjustable components to try and open the door, once they can open the car door then then make the first key, that key is tweaked and changed until it fits all door locks and the ignitian.


      they actually have everything they need set up in their van's 1000's of keys and immobilizers, computers and OEM tools to get them into any car.

      the whole process took about 2 hours to complete and it cost me $350 to get one key made. I ended up finding the original key 6 months later when it was sitting in the gutter in front of my house the key was buried in a snow bank, no idea how it got there.

    25. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2016
      Location
      Milwaukee suburb, WI
      Posts
      77
      Cars
      Former Hobby car and Daily Driver, 1986 VW Golf IDI Diesel mfg. in PA., 361k miles.
      08-22-2017 08:50 PM #49
      Always remember this: If we can send a man to the moon then someone can _______________! It will save a lot of time spent wondering.

    26. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      38,385
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      08-22-2017 08:59 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Fracas View Post
      I have done this, the long story short, lost keys to my Xterra last year, had no spare. I found and contacted an Automotive locksmith to get a new key make for the locks.

      its a pretty complex system they use to source out something with the key, then they use this tool that has adjustable components to try and open the door, once they can open the car door then then make the first key, that key is tweaked and changed until it fits all door locks and the ignitian.


      they actually have everything they need set up in their van's 1000's of keys and immobilizers, computers and OEM tools to get them into any car.

      the whole process took about 2 hours to complete and it cost me $350 to get one key made. I ended up finding the original key 6 months later when it was sitting in the gutter in front of my house the key was buried in a snow bank, no idea how it got there.
      I lost my Baja key last summer. What a hassle right?

      No. I went to the dealer, and looked up an old dyno chart with my VIN. They cut me a key on the spot. 15 mins and $6.xx later I was back in business.
      this signature kills fascists.

      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •