Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677
    Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 1925
    1. Member
      Cars
      1964 corvair spyder, 1975 bmw 2002, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      03-09-2020 09:15 AM #1901
      i run a cx racing rad with a spal 16" pusher fan, still running a AC condensor as well and i have never gotten the temp gauge up to half temp beating the balls off of it. that being said i have no idea if my gauge actually works properly but it has never puked coolant

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr
      Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      03-18-2020 03:28 PM #1902
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I wouldn't even bother with a new fan. Put in a lower temp t-stat and 4-cylinder fan switch when you do the cooling hoses and aluminum t-stat housing.

Basically...this kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...vernet-e36fdmk

I did it on my car when I did the head gasket and revamped the rest of the cooling system (including a Mishimoto radiator). I tracked the car and subjected it to heavy traffic alike (including some jaunts to NYC) and it never got close to overheating.

The PO of my car had a fan clutch failure which sent the fan into the hood. The damage is the reason why he put these bitchin' hood vents in it - they are not positioned to promote any sort of cooling

I thought about this, but I'm trying to keep it stock as possible. If mine were more seasoned, like yours, I'd probably be more inclined. thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by dan of montana View Post
      Good time to switch to an electric fan.

I had this happen on a previous E36. It too punctured a bunch of stuff and enjoyed a flatbed cruise home.

On my current M3, motor mounts were some of the first things I replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      So I figured it out.

It wasn't motor mounts. The radiator is fine. Both are actually quite new installed in the last 10000 miles according to my maintenance logs. Instead, there is play in the water pump assembly. I'm going to replace the water pump, the housing, the nearby hoses, thermostat and housing and see where I'm at after that.

The 32mm wrench I had ordered bent immediately rendering it absolutely useless. So I have another on order from Pelican Parts. By the end of March or the first week of May, I should be back in business.

4. 03-18-2020 05:08 PM #1903
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I thought about this, but I'm trying to keep it stock as possible. If mine were more seasoned, like yours, I'd probably be more inclined. thanks for the input!

So I figured it out.

It wasn't motor mounts. The radiator is fine. Both are actually quite new installed in the last 10000 miles according to my maintenance logs. Instead, there is play in the water pump assembly. I'm going to replace the water pump, the housing, the nearby hoses, thermostat and housing and see where I'm at after that.

The 32mm wrench I had ordered bent immediately rendering it absolutely useless. So I have another on order from Pelican Parts. By the end of March or the first week of May, I should be back in business.
      Nice!!!

The removing the fan/fan clutch attached the water pumped was such a bear for me on my M3. I don't know if it had never been removed (it has 195k miles) or if the previous mechanic murdered the thing, but I had to get a little clever to break it loose.

Best of luck!

5. Member
      03-22-2020 03:38 PM #1904

Cars
      03-22-2020 04:40 PM #1905
      Nice!!!

The removing the fan/fan clutch attached the water pumped was such a bear for me on my M3. I don't know if it had never been removed (it has 195k miles) or if the previous mechanic murdered the thing, but I had to get a little clever to break it loose.

Best of luck!
      Mine wasn't easy at all. The first Amazon chineseum 32mm wrench warped almost as soon as I tried to use it. I ordered a new one from ECS and within three minutes I had the fan clutch off and out. I did, however, wreck the duct to the AC when I pulled the intake off. It was brittle and old. Needed to be replaced anyway, so in addition to the new water pump, I'll grab a new duct. The fan clutch is ancient and obviously original so I'm going to replace it while it's out.

So far, this whole debacle has cost:
      $18.00 for a terrible 32mm wrench
      $30.00 for a good 32mm wrench
      $50.00 for new ducting
      $47.00 for a new water pump
      $20.00 for an OEM fan from eBay
      $35.00 for a new fan clutch.
      $10.00 for distilled water
      =================
      $210.00 total

NotbadObama.jpg

My Firestone Indy 500s arrived, too. The quality, at least visually, is pretty darn high. I'm excited to get them on the car.

My garage looks like a disaster. I spilled distilled water all over the floor when I was checking for leaks. My wife's Highlander's summer tires are taking up a ton of room. I can't get to my bike rack to hang my bikes, and my motorcycles are stuck behind the BMW until it is capable of moving under its own power. At least I have pretty much nothing but time until classes resume in September. Every exhibition, conference, speaking gig and workshop I had scheduled between now and then has been cancelled. So here I sit. Taking one part off of my car at a time to spread out the work so I don't get as bored. I really need to get a new garage built. This is getting insane.

7. Member
      Cars
      1964 corvair spyder, 1975 bmw 2002, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      03-22-2020 06:08 PM #1906
      Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir VR6 View Post
      Instagram! @freedo70
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Cars
      18 LR Discovery 06 Land Rover LR3 97 BMW M3
      03-23-2020 08:46 AM #1907
      Installed bimmer world race exhaust over the weekend along with a dinan throttle body. Installed was pretty easy, leaving all the v-bands loose was key for perfect fitment. Saved 22 lbs over stock cats and UUC cat back. Not as loud as i thought it would be. Will post a sound clip at some point. FYI UUC cat back is for sale.

Cars
      03-23-2020 09:44 AM #1908
      Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
      Installed bimmer world race exhaust over the weekend along with a dinan throttle body. Installed was pretty easy, leaving all the v-bands loose was key for perfect fitment. Saved 22 lbs over stock cats and UUC cat back. Not as loud as i thought it would be. Will post a sound clip at some point. FYI UUC cat back is for sale.
      ]

Looks good! I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Details on UUC? I need more noise.

Cars
      97 M3, 94 Golf
      03-23-2020 10:34 AM #1909

Nice your going to love the exhaust. I just added a cat section to mine that I got off ebay to see how it changes. Usually run the straight pipe when I race but we have no sound restrictions.

Not the best buy here is what mine sounds like in the cabin.

Last edited by .:Hinrichs:.; 03-23-2020 at 10:38 AM.
      "On your mark, get set, terrible"
      Premium Euros - I do custom work (air installs, coils, notches, etc)

Cars
      03-23-2020 10:45 AM #1910

$300 plus actual shipping

Cars
      03-23-2020 10:48 AM #1911
      Quote Originally Posted by .:Hinrichs:. View Post
      Nice your going to love the exhaust. I just added a cat section to mine that I got off ebay to see how it changes. Usually run the straight pipe when I race but we have no sound restrictions.

Im running the resonator right now. Its sounds good, may swap in the straight section to see what the noise difference is (4.6lb weight difference). I had to order some new exhaust manifold to down pipe gaskets. The ones in the BW kit are crap.

Cars
      03-23-2020 05:06 PM #1912
      $300 plus actual shipping

Very interesting... I may DM you.

As for my car, I cannot get the dang water pump out. It rocks back and forth on the studs, and it wants to come off, but dang, it is stubborn as heck. The seal has been cracked all around it. There is no reason it shouldn't come right off. In other news, the pump was indeed the issue. It makes a horrid grinding noise when I spin it by hand. It must have blown up and popped a hole in its housing. Unreal stuff.

14. Member
      Cars
      1995 M3
      03-25-2020 08:56 PM #1913

Cars
      03-27-2020 04:32 PM #1914
      Good time to switch to an electric fan.

I had this happen on a previous E36. It too punctured a bunch of stuff and enjoyed a flatbed cruise home.

On my current M3, motor mounts were some of the first things I replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'm a moron so I'm sticking with the clutch fan. haha

Anyway, holy ****. Carnage. I finally got the water pump out today after battling with it for a while. I spilled all kinds of distilled water on my floor, cut my finger, and generally made a mess. Speaking of a mess, my water pump is absolutely wrecked. This was clearly the problem, not a brittle fan. The pump lost all shaft integrity and twisted far enough off-axis that the fan then became misaligned, too. Wild.

16. 03-27-2020 04:59 PM #1915

Anyway, holy ****. Carnage.

dammmmmmn. Well done on this though. I'm not totally sure if mine was original when I replaced it (180k miles?), but was such a bear to get off that I really didn't feel any endorphin rush of completing a project. I was only left with mild happiness of thinking that, if I have the car 50k miles down the road, it should be easier next time.....

My next project is replacing the weather strip that goes across the front of the hood. $50, should take about 1 minute.

Cars
      03-28-2020 10:50 AM #1916
      dammmmmmn. Well done on this though. I'm not totally sure if mine was original when I replaced it (180k miles?), but was such a bear to get off that I really didn't feel any endorphin rush of completing a project. I was only left with mild happiness of thinking that, if I have the car 50k miles down the road, it should be easier next time.....

My next project is replacing the weather strip that goes across the front of the hood. $50, should take about 1 minute.
      Thanks! It was a relief to get it out. The shaft was so bent that the impeller was stuck against the block making removal more difficult. And unreal failure, really.

I've got to do my front weather strip, too. After than, having the small holes in my seats repaired, then I'll be close to having an all original, and wonderfully intact E36 M3. I'm so delighted that it's getting close.

Once done, I will decide whether I keep it or start to look for a 964 Targa or convertible, or an early DB7. I'd also like to get a 90s SUV or pickup as outlined in another thread, largely to cart around my family and old car while on road trips. I should just do the smart thing and buy a recent GX470 and keep the E36 and get one of the other two.

18. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-28-2020 11:20 AM #1917
      Ahh BMW water pumps. My E39 had a failure like that. So much shaft play that the fan walked around a ton. It loosened three bolts on the fan, and when I caught it there was just one bolt holding the fan on the clutch. That thing was ready to get thrown like a ninja star under the hood.

Gnarly. Glad you fixed it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-28-2020 09:26 PM #1918
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Gnarly. Glad you fixed it.
      Agreed.

That sh*t can get sporty real quick.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      2000 BMW 740i
      03-29-2020 01:33 PM #1919
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Thread worthy

Cars
      B3 Pewter GLX Wagoo, MK3 2.0 Jetta (Retired: MKV TSI GTI, B6 FSI, B5 1.8T Wago, MK3 VR6 Jetta)
      03-31-2020 02:06 PM #1920
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthcheetah View Post
      Shameless plug before I go to the bimmerforums. I wanted to put word out in here in hopes that someone visiting this thread might be in the market.

My buddy is looking to sell his 1996 M3 Coupe. Unmolested style wise. It had a money shift in it's past and the motor has since been rebuilt. Currently has some issues that the owner could fill you in on, but he isn't able to put the money in that it needs, so he would rather find it a good home.

175k miles in black, and this would be a perfect buy for someone that wants to get one fairly cheap. He runs a detail shop so it stays pretty darn clean all things considered.

Located in Southern Indiana. PM me if you're interested.
      *cough* It's still available if anyone was on the fence *cough*
      skrrrrt

"Horrible era to buy anything with a VW badge on it....I’m convinced that all VW plastic parts were manufactured out of dried toothpaste."

Cars
      04-02-2020 07:14 AM #1921
      Picked up a cheap set of kosei K1 wheels. Was going to use them as track spares and found out they had cracked and repaired. So now they go on the car as a "daily" wheel. Really a solid looking wheel for the e36 and weighed in at 16lb 3oz for a 17x8.5 isnt bad. Running a 245/40 tire square, 15mm spacer in front and 12mm in rear.

Cars
      04-02-2020 07:45 AM #1922
      Picked up a cheap set of kosei K1 wheels. Was going to use them as track spares and found out they had cracked and repaired. So now they go on the car as a "daily" wheel. Really a solid looking wheel for the e36 and weighed in at 16lb 3oz for a 17x8.5 isnt bad. Running a 245/40 tire square, 15mm spacer in front and 12mm in rear.
      I think K1s are some of the best looking aftermarket wheels on an e36. I'd love to grab a set as an alternate set. They've got great 90s DTM vibes or something. Nice buy!

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      04-02-2020 09:43 AM #1923
      I think K1s are some of the best looking aftermarket wheels on an e36. I'd love to grab a set as an alternate set. They've got great 90s DTM vibes or something. Nice buy!
      Agreed, they're such a cool 'sport' wheel. My friend had 15" K1's on his 2nd gen Integra back in like 2000, white on white. Looked so good.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      04-04-2020 01:29 PM #1924
      Three weeks later, and it's sorted. Thermostat, housing, water pump, belts, coolant flush, clutch fan, oil change, and pulls plus some new bolts and washers and I'm pretty happy. I took it for a twenty-mile shakedown and it's as good as ever. Now to get the new tires on so I can really see how it does.

26. Member
      Cars
      Yesterday 09:00 AM #1925
      currently trying to track a short to ground in turn signal harness. pops the fuse immediately making diagnosing even harder . side note wheres the best place to get tail light sockets and front turn sockets? im missing a few in the rear and missing the entire part in one of the front turns. id go junkyard picking but all of ours are currently closed
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677