Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-18-2012 04:36 AM #1
      My latest TT-RS mod is all vain: E-code (aka amber reflector-less) adaptive cornering headlights.

After ordering them from BKS-Tuning and waiting about 5 weeks for them to arrive from Germany by boat, I eagerly installed them over the weekend. I was impressed to find out that the new lights included xenon bulbs, ballasts, and turn signal lights (and so they were 100% plug-and-play mechanically and electrically).

The mechanical part of the install is as easy as loosening a few screws around either headlight (I'll let a dealer do the final optical alignment). Coding / calibrating the E-code lights for my US-spec car was a little less obvious. Here are the steps I used:

1) Re-code the lights: go in through the 55-Xenon group in VCDS and first do a Security Access with 02000 and then change the Coding from 0000255 to 0000025. This sets the lights to match an "Audi 8J TT w/ magnetic ride suspension".

2) Go through a fake alignment sequence to get the dash MIL due to "headlights not aligned" to go away.

And now for the pics!

E-codes (left) vs. US-spec (right):

Post-install:

And a little side-by-side with another Suzuka TT-RS owner:

So now the question is, what are my OEM lights worth? Can someone with a TT that doesn't have LED DRL or adaptive cornering lights upgrade to my OEM lights? TBD...
      Last edited by Marty; 09-20-2012 at 02:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      09-18-2012 10:31 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      After ordering them from BKS-Tuning and waiting about 5 weeks for them to arrive from Germany by boat, I eagerly installed them over the weekend. I was impressed to find out that the new lights included xenon bulbs, ballasts, and turn signal lights (and so they were 100% plug-and-play mechanically and electrically).

The mechanical part of the install is as easy as loosening a few screws around either headlight (I'll let a dealer to the final optical alignment). Coding the E-code lights for my US-spec car as a little less obvious. I ultimately had to go in through the 55-Xenon group in VCDS and code the lights for an Audi 8J TT w/ magnetic ride (I guess they came "blank" so they could be installed in a variety of TT suspension types), and go through a fake alignment sequence to get the MIL to go away on the dash.
      Looks great! I plan on ordering a set next week. $1599, right?

Also, is this a misprint on their website?

"Your bulbs and ballasts/igniters are transferred from your existing lights."
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Incoming hater plane *beeeeyaaaaarrrrrr*
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      some people are such oversensitized pussies these days.

4. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-18-2012 11:52 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Gateway1 View Post
      Looks great! I plan on ordering a set next week. $1599, right?

Also, is this a misprint on their website?

"Your bulbs and ballasts/igniters are transferred from your existing lights."
      Yep, $1599 for the adaptive cornering model minus a 5% discount from a coupon code I found on their facebook page, but the coupon post has unfortunately been deleted since (and there's no recode of the code on my order). I didn't have to swap a single thing over, so the comments about having to transfer things from your existing lights was a misprint at least for my specific car (maybe swapping in these lights from older TT models requires a swap of something? Who knows...)

In case someone feels up to the challenge of finding an alternative source for the headlights, the VAG part numbers that came when I ordered E-code lights for my "2012 US-spec TT-RS w/ adaptive cornering headlights" were:
      8J0 941 003 AM
      8J0 941 004 AM

The DHL shipping tracking # was the equivalent of the USPS in Germany, so the tracking status basically said "processing" for the entire 5 week duration until the lights showed up one day unexpectedly. This is consistent with other folks' reviews of BKS-Tuning shipping online. The box was beaten to hell, but the lights were relatively well packed with multiple layers of bubble wrap, so they came through without a scratch.
      Last edited by Marty; 09-18-2012 at 11:55 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-18-2012 05:36 PM #4
      Holy hell, that is one expensive mod to get rid of a reflector! Looks great though.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Adjustable Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, BFI shift knob, 42DD shift bushings, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

7. 09-18-2012 05:56 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      Holy hell, that is one expensive mod to get rid of a reflector! Looks great though.
      Considering that mk1 housings were $1k each and didn't have bi-xenon or LEDs I'd say it's a bargain!

8. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-18-2012 06:38 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      How much was it to get rid of those rotor wheels again for a set of HREs? ;D

The E-code lights make an even greater visual improvement on the darker color cars like yours.

09-18-2012 08:11 PM #7
      How much was it to get rid of those rotor wheels again for a set of HREs? ;D

The E-code lights make an even greater visual improvement on the darker color cars like yours.
      You are evil! Don't tempt me. At least I still have the rotors for winter use but the point is valid, but hey 7lbs a corner is mighty nice.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Adjustable Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, BFI shift knob, 42DD shift bushings, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

10. Junior Member
      Cars
      08 TT 3.2
      09-18-2012 10:53 PM #8
      selling your old headlights ?

11. 09-19-2012 12:23 AM #9
      Are the OEM USA headlights adaptive?

12. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-19-2012 12:39 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dbturbo2 View Post
      Are the OEM USA headlights adaptive?
      They are if you bought the TT-RS with the tech package. What I don't know is if you can just swap them into a non-adaptive headlight car, or if other supporting sensors are needed.

Cars
      2009 Volkswagen CC, 2011 Honda CR-V, 2008 Benz W211 E280, 2015 Benz W205 C300, 2016 Mazda CX-5
      09-19-2012 10:45 PM #11
      When I purchased my Mag-Ride Delete modules from KW, I was told that Adaptive headlights are connected to mag-ride system.

Can someone confirm this info?

Cars
      '12 Audi TT RS
      09-20-2012 09:18 PM #12
      Or you can just put dark window tint over the stock ones like mine (previous owner's mod) :

Randy
      Current: '12 Audi TT RS (UM tune, CTS downpipe, 034 intake, KW V3 coilovers)
      Gone: '07 Corvette Z06, '06 WRX wagon, '05 STi, '02 WRX, '96 Eclipse GS-T, '94 Supra Turbo, '93 300ZX Turbo, '90 300ZX Turbo, '89 Golf GTI, '87 Mustang GT, '71 MGB

Cars
      12' TT-RS, 04' RS R32, 08 Boxster/sold, 11 A4 Avant Titanium/sold, 06 A-4 2.0t/sold, 04 BMP R32/sold
      09-20-2012 09:23 PM #13
      total waste of money just to get the same headlight that simply has the reflective orange piece removed... put it towards something useful...

16. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-21-2012 12:44 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by RisR32 View Post
      total waste of money just to get the same headlight that simply has the reflective orange piece removed... put it towards something useful...
      Kinda like wasting money buying the same round metal wheels with a different spoke pattern, eh?

17. Member
      09-21-2012 07:23 AM #15
      Kinda like wasting money buying the same round metal wheels with a different spoke pattern, eh?
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Incoming hater plane *beeeeyaaaaarrrrrr*
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      some people are such oversensitized pussies these days.

18. 09-21-2012 12:48 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by keepryt View Post
      Or you can just put dark window tint over the stock ones like mine (previous owner's mod) :

Randy
      There's another subtle difference between the U.S. and the ROW headlamp housings: the LED strip is wider in the latter, they run the full width of the unit. The number of LEDs appears to be the same, so the spacing between them is different.

Anyhow, for posterity: if you order the ROW headlamp housings from Europrice, you're likely to receive parts with the following part numbers:

8J0-941-029-AM
      8J0-941-030-AM

As far as I know, it's just a newer version. Installation is the same though. You may or may not need to perfom VCDS coding on the lights. I didn't. But you do need to have them aligned properly at the dealer.

19. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-21-2012 12:57 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      The E-codes make a HUGE difference on the Daytona Gray (and other dark colors). Your car looks awesome!

Cars
      Current: 16/S3 SOLD:13/R 12/CC, 10/GTI
      09-21-2012 01:02 PM #18
      That makes no sense... Wheels can be lighter,wider, and way more aesthetically pleasing than $1600 headlights..For that price you could have gotten a tune or something to give you more horse power.. But hey you got that money do you..
      13 R stage 1
      Philthy PA
      EUROFINE

21. 09-21-2012 02:22 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      There's another subtle difference between the U.S. and the ROW headlamp housings: the LED strip is wider in the latter, they run the full width of the unit. The number of LEDs appears to be the same, so the spacing between them is different.

Anyhow, for posterity: if you order the ROW headlamp housings from Europrice, you're likely to receive parts with the following part numbers:

8J0-941-029-AM
      8J0-941-030-AM

As far as I know, it's just a newer version. Installation is the same though. You may or may not need to perfom VCDS coding on the lights. I didn't. But you do need to have them aligned properly at the dealer.

Fourtunes, I think I see your car driving on San Tomas Expressway around Scott in the mornings. Always a good start to my day seeing your car drive by. Hopefully in November, I'll be the Sepang Blue TTRS you see heading in the opposite direction.

Marty and Fourtunes, where do you get your cars serviced and who's the SA that you use? Any specific mechanic that you prefer?

22. 09-21-2012 02:31 PM #20
      Hey, buying ANYTHING

23. 09-21-2012 02:32 PM #21
      Hey, buying ANYTHING for this car is a waste of money. Nothing is needed, it's all want.

24. 09-21-2012 04:43 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry408 View Post
      Fourtunes, I think I see your car driving on San Tomas Expressway around Scott in the mornings. Always a good start to my day seeing your car drive by. Hopefully in November, I'll be the Sepang Blue TTRS you see heading in the opposite direction.
      Yeah, that's probably me. I'll be looking forward to seeing a TT-RS coming the other way, so far I haven't seen any others on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry408 View Post
      Marty and Fourtunes, where do you get your cars serviced and who's the SA that you use? Any specific mechanic that you prefer?
      Stevens Creek Audi

My SA is Vin - highly recommended, he's been very, very helpful these last few years, despite my uncanny ability to buy cars with annoyances, and my inability to ignore them. I don't usually pick/request specific mechanics.

25. Member
      Cars
      2012 TT-RS
      09-21-2012 06:59 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Blkmag1c View Post
      That makes no sense... Wheels can be lighter,wider, and way more aesthetically pleasing than $1600 headlights..For that price you could have gotten a tune or something to give you more horse power.. But hey you got that money do you..
      Aftermarket wheels can also be the same weight (or heavier), and look WORSE than stock. In fact, I'd say most aftermarket wheels I see on TT's look worse than the stock rims (especially TT-RS rims).

So now you're spending $2,000+ on something that is often worse than stock. Are E-code headlights really that bad, then?

The re-sale value of E-code headlights are likely very high (or you can sell your stock lights for a large fraction of the E-code light cost, since the LED DRL headlights are desirable for older TTs).
      Last edited by Marty; 09-21-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Cars
      1995 MK3 GTI, 2004.5 MK4 GLI, 2009 CIVIC DX-G, MK4 R32T (Let's forget the Civic)
      05-17-2019 03:09 PM #24
      Bumping this thread. I just bought a North American TTRS, I'm looking to do the ecodes swap. BKS sells the kit now with or without the ballasts and bulbs. Does anyone know if I can just move over the ballasts and bulbs from the us housings to the euro housings or are they different part numbers?

Cars
      1995 MK3 GTI, 2004.5 MK4 GLI, 2009 CIVIC DX-G, MK4 R32T (Let's forget the Civic)
      05-23-2019 07:17 PM #25
      I think I've answered my previous question. I do however want to confirm the suffix of the part number. It doesn't look like I can' find any info on 8J0941003AM

Can any one confirm the partnumbers for me?