Fourtitude.com - United Motorsport: Ultimate Stage 1 Turbo
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Results 76 to 89 of 89
    1. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-15-2012 10:00 PM #76
      What's a "cup kit?"

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-15-2012 10:07 PM #77
      Also, why do you say "... the transmission and differential that VW thought would be funny to make out of glass."


    4. Senior Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      21,019
      Cars
      01001011010011110 1010010
      07-16-2012 12:26 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      it goes kaboom
      This exactly.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

    5. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-16-2012 07:35 PM #80
      hmm...

      I thought our German engineered cars were so "over-built" (at least regarding the engine).

      Assuming that's generally true, why would they use poor quality on tranny & diff?

      Seems an inconsistent application of quality for such core components.

    6. Senior Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      21,019
      Cars
      01001011010011110 1010010
      07-16-2012 07:39 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by OldPhart View Post
      hmm...

      I thought our German engineered cars were so "over-built" (at least regarding the engine).

      Assuming that's generally true, why would they use poor quality on tranny & diff?

      Seems an inconsistent application of quality for such core components.
      It's a 16,000$ economy car... What about it makes you think the trans and motor should be able to hold added torque flawlessly?
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-16-2012 10:23 PM #82
      Flawlessly? Never thought that, which is why I pressed people about doing IE forged rods early on.
      But BW, APT, UM & even IE said internals should be OK to ~ 300. So they don't want my money...?

      Eventually I planned to upgrade some internals anyhow. Meanwhile, will just drive it civilized.
      No need to beat the hell out of it (nice bunny). A new tranny would be OK, as I'd love to run a 6 sp &
      Haldex. Maybe it'll be like a Golf 2.5L R

      So it may be an economy car, but I've never enjoyed an economy car soooooo much.
      It hasn't skimped on fun, for sure.

      PS - I cannot describe how big my smile gets when that SRI starts to howl as I blow around
      the twisties... it is soooooo sweet!

    8. Senior Member kevin splits's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2010
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      21,019
      Cars
      01001011010011110 1010010
      07-16-2012 11:53 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by OldPhart View Post
      Flawlessly? Never thought that, which is why I pressed people about doing IE forged rods early on.
      But BW, APT, UM & even IE said internals should be OK to ~ 300. So they don't want my money...?

      Eventually I planned to upgrade some internals anyhow. Meanwhile, will just drive it civilized.
      No need to beat the hell out of it (nice bunny). A new tranny would be OK, as I'd love to run a 6 sp &
      Haldex. Maybe it'll be like a Golf 2.5L R

      So it may be an economy car, but I've never enjoyed an economy car soooooo much.
      It hasn't skimped on fun, for sure.

      PS - I cannot describe how big my smile gets when that SRI starts to howl as I blow around
      the twisties... it is soooooo sweet!
      The motor is good to 400 with a headspacer most likely. The trans and flywheel mounting point are what are weak. I'm saying this car wasn't made with the intentions of seeing these kind of numbers. Things WILL break, some soon some over time. Has the transmission held up? Ya, there are guys stage 3 on the stock 5 speed, and there are some that had the trans grenade stage 2!

      I can't wait, all I need is a Damn turbocharger and I can get to bolting all this crap on. Hopefully I can find a steal on a ball bearing t4 flanged 6262 and have it done for next summer. But don't haz spare money now, bags come first.

      We sure as hell have a fine motor as a base tho! Free'est flowing factory head VW has yet to release, change out the handful of cheap parts and this motor is 800+whp capable.

      On topic - I really want to see what can be made with this kit and a upgraded maf without headspacer, internals and so on. Jeff sounded like the maf was limiting the room for power, not the motor.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

    9. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-17-2012 07:54 PM #84


      So I'm clear... the SRI & Turbo mods are only PART of a larger picture (project),
      not after the holy grail of power for power's sake.

      1. The larger picture is increased power / pull that can be driven, maintained, and enjoyed.

      2. More forward pulling power = need for better braking power and better tires too.

      3. More power = better suspension for handling that power while not grossly sacrificing comfort.

      4. Turbos mean more heat - everywhere: engine bay, DP, intake, pipes, wires... so adding an
      oil cooler, quality IC, synthetic oil, blanket, wraps, etc. are useful.

      5. And yes, the risk is increased power causing failures in components not designed for such stress:
      internals, clutch, transmission, differential, light bulbs (huh?)

      6. Right. Gauges... got to keep tabs on what's happening, and regular checkups too (wazzup doc).

      It's about the WHOLE driving EXPERIENCE - not just whose balls have the most thunder (huh?)

      Some cars are for getting A2B, some are for show, and some are for go. I want all three. That's the goal.


    10. Member itskohler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2011
      Location
      Jacksonville, FL/Dallas, TX
      Posts
      4,434
      Cars
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      07-17-2012 09:35 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by OldPhart View Post


      So I'm clear... the SRI & Turbo mods are only PART of a larger picture (project),
      not after the holy grail of power for power's sake.

      1. The larger picture is increased power / pull that can be driven, maintained, and enjoyed.

      2. More forward pulling power = need for better braking power and better tires too.

      3. More power = better suspension for handling that power while not grossly sacrificing comfort.

      4. Turbos mean more heat - everywhere: engine bay, DP, intake, pipes, wires... so adding an
      oil cooler, quality IC, synthetic oil, blanket, wraps, etc. are useful.

      5. And yes, the risk is increased power causing failures in components not designed for such stress:
      internals, clutch, transmission, differential, light bulbs (huh?)

      6. Right. Gauges... got to keep tabs on what's happening, and regular checkups too (wazzup doc).

      It's about the WHOLE driving EXPERIENCE - not just whose balls have the most thunder (huh?)

      Some cars are for getting A2B, some are for show, and some are for go. I want all three. That's the goal.

      I'm confused as to why this is in this thread...

      Make your own build thread.

    11. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-18-2012 02:21 PM #86


      Because I'm having APT / BW / UM do the same to my Golf, and this thread seemed a logical place to let people who are interested know that.

      I began creating a build thread long before this thread, just haven't posted it yet. So that's why.

      ...

      Anyone who's interested... I'll start posting up info, and pictures (when I get my car back).

      Eventually, I plan to do some video too. Just have to solve the what & where camera problem.


    12. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      59
      Cars
      Golf MK6 2.5T
      07-18-2012 09:23 PM #87
      Patient: "Doctor, I'm having trouble with my memory."
      Doctor: "When did you first notice this?"
      Patient: "Notice what?"

    13. Member nasty_VW_habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 1999
      Location
      Landlocked in CT
      Posts
      2,143
      Cars
      looking for #12 - prefer mk4
      01-06-2020 09:11 AM #88
      SRI is what now?
      I’m beginning research on putting 2.5T in mk4 wagon

      Quote Originally Posted by OldPhart View Post


      So I'm clear... the SRI & Turbo mods are only PART of a larger picture (project),
      not after the holy grail of power for power's sake.



    14. Junior Member MKVDuBBiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2013
      Location
      New Bedford, MA
      Posts
      20
      Cars
      07 Rabbit 2dr
      02-14-2020 03:21 PM #89
      SRI = Short Runner Intake manifold.

      Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      07 Rabbit 2dr w/Votex Kit | Carbonio CAI | C2 SRI | USP Test Pipe | AWE Cat-Back | Unitronic Stage 2 | IE Fuel Rail | Rokkor Coils | Powerstop Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors | 18x8 & 18x9 Raderwerks M-TEN80 B's

    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •