VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Speaking of Caymans (aka "Every car I love, I buy twice")

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  tampaSi 
#1 · (Edited)
So the saga goes....sometimes you just don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Happened to me once before; had this beauty back in high school, a new-in-2000 Electron Blue Pearl Civic Si.

With my dad's 98 GTI VR6:

Civic.VR6.2001 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Just before I sold it, at its "peak": real Mugen front lip, Ground Control coilovers, Integra GS-R "sawblade" wheels

Civic.2002 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Decided after just two years that I needed something a little more "beat down" for college, and while I'm at it, faster too.

Enter this succubus (not mine but identical color/looks): 1991 Galant VR-4, #1667/2000. Had it for just under a year before it broke my bank account and every piece in its driveline along the way. Sold it with a blown turbo for $2 grand less than I bought it for and laughed as it drove away in a cloud of smoke.

gvr4__6 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Bought back what I should have kept all along, another 2000 Civic Si. 22k miles (in 2003) and in very good shape, I would go on to put 136k total on it over 6 years before selling it on.

Si 005 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 009 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 023 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 022 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 021 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Picture 006 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 049 by raregreen91, on Flickr

In the mean time, I had landed a real job and was able to make the mother of all upgrades in mid-2009, thanks to a fellow Car Lounger who directed me to this pristine, Porsche CPO beauty being sold at fire sale prices by a dealer in Chicago during the middle of the financial collapse. To put my deal in perspective, I could not match the price I got then on this car three years later on the one further down, and from a private seller no less. Turns out, the salesman (who was the Porsche dealer owner's son) had simply priced it too low, and turned away about 50 buyers who showed up after I put down my deposit. Score!

Details: 2006 Cayman S, Atlas Grey/Sand Beige, 6MT, Sport Chrono, Bose, Xenons, built-in radar/laser jammer, 40k miles.

Si 085 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 078 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Si 030 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Porsche 042 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Porsche 046 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Owned and loved that car for just 6 months before taking an assignment abroad; regrettably sold it, although still pocketing a couple staques, instead of stashing it away for a year and a half like I should have done. Oh well, live and learn...

Fast forward to April 2011, and I'd returned from the UK with a hankering for U.S. grade A beef. Enter this shootin', spittin', bad decision on wheels:

IMG_0036 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0037 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0045 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0050 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0052 by raregreen91, on Flickr

Was fun for a bit, but the appeal gradually wore off. Dunno if it was the general lack of polish, or unwilling attitude in the corners, but it just wasn't me. A great car, but not for me. Sold it in February, bought this thing to pass the time:

IMG_0080 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0088 by raregreen91, on Flickr

And then bit the bullet on what I should have kept all along, another 2006 Cayman S. I drove this one home from Arkansas about two months ago but have been too busy driving it to take any pictures, so here they are after a wash/wax tonight:

Details: 2006 Cayman S, 30k miles, GT Silver/Natural Brown full leather, Sport Chrono, Heated seats, hardwired V1, Harman Kardon iPod controller

IMG_0568 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0569 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0566 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0570 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0578 by raregreen91, on Flickr

IMG_0575 by raregreen91, on Flickr

And now I'm in motoring bliss once again.

That's my story. Take it or leave it.

:beer::beer::beer:
:beer::beer::beer:

See less See more
#2 ·
You have owned some fantastic (and cleanly kept) cars.

I could see myself buying any one of those (save the Mitsu)...the pics of the Si make me miss my old Civic and ITR something awful.

Congrats :beer:

#15 ·
TY :thumbup:

What does a clean, low milage, Cayman S go for in the states?

I'm from Canada.
Low 30s. You can find high 20s with more mileage and/or no warranty, but a privately-sold/warrantied car was a requirement for me.

That's awesome!
I got rid of my 2008 cayman last year and regret it every day.
I'm buying a 2013/14 and keeping it. I've considered a mustang GT in the meantime also.
What did you dislike about it?
It just doesn't feel like a sports car. If you're ok with that, you'll love it.

you've got great taste in cars, and based on the K1's on the EM1, great taste in wheels as well :thumbup:

I remember you posting about the road trip back in your first Cayman and then you posting about selling it. I remember the Mustang thread and the CRV as well. I spend too much time here.
We all do. :laugh:

#5 ·
Good taste in cars, you have. I would love a 5 speed CR-V for winter times, as it is now if it snows I call out of work. No point buying snow tires for less than 10 bad days a year. Not at my salary at least..

#18 ·
I still own the CR-V. It's a great commuter/stuff hauler :thumbup:

Mustang likes: 412hp for $30 grand. Looks. Cheap parts. Motors don't blow up (but transmissions do).

Mustang dislikes: Weight, body roll, lack of damping, shift quality, lack of steering feel, general build quality annoyances (speaker rattles, dash rattles, paint quality, etc), getting thumbs-ups and revs from toothless hillbillies at every stoplight (probably more of a Florida problem). I don't mean to come off as a snob, because the car is built for a purpose and it satisfies that purpose better than any car in its class, but the quality and chassis of my first Cayman has basically ruined me for other cars.

#17 ·
Congrats! Between the clean CRV (dare I refer to it as a beater?) and your nice choice in Cayman's that is a nice balance of automobiles. I love the interior color myself. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.