VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

***Custom Fabrication parts picture thread*** Badass hardware only!

121K views 180 replies 61 participants last post by  thechoochlyman 
#1 ·
#180 ·
Just stumbled on this thread. Absolutely love this stuff. Hoping the thread doesn't die.

Thought I'd add a project I did. It's not nearly to the level of some in here, but it was fun, and I'm super happy with it.

This is the shift linkage for a "B2". So, VW Quantum, Audi 4000, or "BX", VW Fox.
The linkage from the factory uses rubber bits to hold everything together. They wear out badly, to the point of not being able to shift. Even when new, there's a bit of play.
I replaced all the soft bits with bearings and a piece of Delrin.
Now the only "play" is what's inside the transmission.
The shifter throw is now reduced also. The "bolt" that you see at the bottom, used to come out the top. Making it longer below the bracket reduced the throw.

I also taught myself how to do zinc electroplate, and yellow chromate coating.
I can't wait to drive it. Car is still in work.

#65 ·
I don't think this qualifies as being "badass" and it certainly is not on the level of all the other excellent work in this thread, but I'm proud of it. Novice welder and my first time welding aluminum. Miller Diversion 185.

Had to modify my intake manifold to clear the compressor housing and hook up to an AWIC.

This thread is an inspiration and reminds me that I have a lot to learn. :thumbup:

Reactions: cellno
#16 ·
Easier way, not better.

I would pay 100 for that work of art. Seriously! Don't underestimate the price some people would pay to do things right. You should see what it would take to produce a batch of them, then talk to James aka Dogger at Spoonfed Tuning to market these properly here on the tex.

Nice freaking work!

:beer::beer:

#19 ·
This might fit..:snowcool:

2007/2008 CBR600RR Exhaust Build:
Myself and another memeber put this bad boy together a while back for my 2007 cbr600rr race bike- thought i would post it up! My buddy is the welding master, i am simply the sherpa! :laugh:

Exhaust is SS steel with 4-1 header and 2.5" after collector with V-Band connection (yes on a bike haha). We also made CNC machined header clips (hold header to engine).This was matted to a 2.5" two borthers exhaust. Simply a for fun test go at an exahust build. Made less power down low and moved the power band way high- gained few WHP after 9000rpm. Ended up taking it off and running a two borthers header back as it yeilded better mid range which is what i needed. Never the less...and amazing build and learning experience.

Custom 4-1 Collector:

Jig:

Sooo Fresh and Sooo Clean:

Up Pipe:

Done!:

On Bike:

Comments are welcome!:laugh:

#20 ·
So you guys got me thinking about that water flange. The one I made does not replace stock, it takes a different path to go around the tensioner. I'm guessing that most people would want to customize theirs too so this is what I came up with. You buy the flange and weld on your own pipes, AN connectors, whatever you need. The flange costs much less to machine than the whole part and can probably sell for $50. Would there be any real interest in this?

-Alex

PS. sweet collector on that bike exhaust. I once welded up a collector but I'm too embarrassed to show pictures of it ;)

#21 ·
So you guys got me thinking about that water flange. The one I made does not replace stock, it takes a different path to go around the tensioner. I'm guessing that most people would want to customize theirs too so this is what I came up with. You buy the flange and weld on your own pipes, AN connectors, whatever you need. The flange costs much less to machine than the whole part and can probably sell for $50. Would there be any real interest in this?

I'm fitting ITBs to my 16v so it would be of interest for me to have something like that. What about putting either and inner or outer thread on the flange so a compression fitting could be screwed into it and it would allow the user to put a 45 degree or 90 degree bend or even a T piece onto it?

What obstructions do we need to consider? Alternator, lower intake manifold, oil dipstick tube....

I think I need to go out to my garage and have a look amy my head and block again.

#22 ·
nubVR said:

ok this last pic is rough shape of plenum, the front of it is 12" from the head..... Im a little worried about overal height and the hood, sinse the hood slopes torward the front...... Half of me wants to make a card board template that we would be able to attatch and let you shut your hood and see if it smashes.... id hate to do all the work and be cuttin stuff apart, this is the problem with doin this type of stuff and not having a car here! :(

Also, water ports, do you want both on one side? or One on each side? Something is telling me both on the driverside might be best..... but not sure where your htinkin about setting all your stuff up. Let me know... im not doin anything else till we get a plan.

Oh and valve cover.... i dont think we mess with it, i think the way its gonna be shaped it should keep air speed up for the pressure drop its gonna see when it opens up... and the velocity for it hitting those cooling fins? This is all just dumb guy garage theory though
Making some more progress, any thoughts on the above?....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.