Fourtitude.com - Went to the Saab dealer today
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 166
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Suffern, NY
      Posts
      870
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      01-11-2012 04:25 PM #1
      I made a similar thread a while back when I didn't think I would be getting my Saturn back. Now, I did get my Saturn back, but am contemplating trading up.

      My Saturn is pretty rough. 114k of towing, commuting into NYC, and about 3 months of delivery car duty at my father's store. It has just had a frozen caliper replaced, as well as a intermediate steering shaft, but will need new shocks, mounts, sway bar endlinks, and a rear diff service soon. I'm currently in my last semester of law school and am applying to jobs; all of which a long distance away.

      The car in question is a brand new Saab 9-3 with 5-speed auto, AWD, moonroof, and comfort package. Sticker on the car is 37k, and it is marked down to about 24k. I'm hoping I can bargain them down to 18k out the door with the Saturn trade.

      I much prefer a Saab to an entry level small or mid-sizer, so this seems like a good deal. Anyone here have personal experience with this generation 9-3 that can offer insight onto fuel economy, and general cost of ownership; as well as overall opinions on the car?

      Thanks.

      Rule #1, not the same car, but this color and wheel option:

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member rlfletch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 11th, 2000
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,787
      Cars
      2018 Tesla Model 3, 1988 BMW M5
      01-11-2012 04:26 PM #2
      Brave man.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

    4. Member Cr4shT3st's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2009
      Location
      WI
      Posts
      2,880
      Cars
      torque and no torque
      01-11-2012 04:27 PM #3
      buy a second as a parts car. you'll need it someday.

      _________________________________________________
      current: '14 BRZ, '16 Focus ST, '09 Fit, '00 Ducati ST2
      wiscocrashtest

    5. Member Señor Peligro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2009
      Location
      ʇnɔıʇɔǝuuoɔ
      Posts
      8,383
      Cars
      Jeep Wrangler
      01-11-2012 04:28 PM #4
      There's no price good enough.
      Now go get your shinebox

    6. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      44,820
      Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      01-11-2012 04:32 PM #5
      Terrible idea. With no warranty and limited parts availability, whatever savings you realize on the front end will be rapidly eaten by astronomical insurance and the threat of major problems if you need repairs. GM is only warrantying the ones sold before it sold off Saab.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

    7. Member DISI 2.3T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      2,751
      Cars
      2008 Mazdaspeed 3
      01-11-2012 04:34 PM #6
      I bought this car on Forza 4 the other day, it hasn't failed me yet! Same color and everything!

      Thats a heck of a deal on that car but with no promised coverage you would be taking a mighty big leap.

      Also, do you have a thing for extinct brands?

    8. Member Sledge's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2005
      Location
      Eastern GA
      Posts
      15,165
      Cars
      BlueStar, NA, V227
      01-11-2012 04:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      The car in question is a brand new Saab 9-3 with 5-speed auto, AWD, moonroof, and comfort package. Sticker on the car is 37k, and it is marked down to about 24k. I'm hoping I can bargain them down to 18k out the door with the Saturn trade.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Suffern, NY
      Posts
      870
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      01-11-2012 04:35 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Terrible idea. With no warranty and limited parts availability, whatever savings you realize on the front end will be rapidly eaten by astronomical insurance and the threat of major problems if you need repairs. GM is only warrantying the ones sold before it sold off Saab.
      This body style has been around since 03, how difficult can it possibly be to source parts on it?

      I didn't think about insurance costs though. I'm sure depreciation will be killer, but if I can get the car cheap enough, I'll just write it off and trade it in when I'm ready to move on after a few years.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Suffern, NY
      Posts
      870
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      01-11-2012 04:36 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DISI 2.3T View Post
      Also, do you have a thing for extinct brands?
      Unwanted cars need to be loved by someone...

    11. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      33,223
      Cars
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      01-11-2012 04:36 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

    12. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      44,820
      Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      01-11-2012 04:37 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      This body style has been around since 03, how difficult can it possibly be to source parts on it?

      I didn't think about insurance costs though. I'm sure depreciation will be killer, but if I can get the car cheap enough, I'll just write it off and trade it in when I'm ready to move on after a few years.
      That particular front end, however, has only been around for a few model years, along with the headlights and several other bits likely to be damaged in a collision.

      Depreciation will be stunning, not just killer. As will insurance costs, if you can find anybody to insure a warranty-less but brand-new car.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

    13. Member SebTheDJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2003
      Posts
      2,972
      Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      01-11-2012 04:37 PM #12
      TCL = buncha uniformed car snobs.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Suffern, NY
      Posts
      870
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      01-11-2012 04:42 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      That particular front end, however, has only been around for a few model years, along with the headlights and several other bits likely to be damaged in a collision.

      Depreciation will be stunning, not just killer. As will insurance costs, if you can find anybody to insure a warranty-less but brand-new car.
      I understand what you are saying. For me, it is more of a cost/benefit analysis. I will be without a warranty, but if the need for a repair comes up, how much can it possibly cost? If insurance is, say, $200/year more than an equivalent new car, will I still be in the plus?

      This is why I'm trying to gauge personal experience with these cars without going to a biased site like a Saab forum where everyone will tell me that they have had 100k trouble free miles and the car actually prints money.

      Also, I never really had any problems sourcing parts for my Saturn. Whenever I fix my car, I've bought aftermarket parts anyway.

    15. Member afrost's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2002
      Location
      Midwest
      Posts
      5,443
      Cars
      2004 R32, 2015 Golf R
      01-11-2012 04:42 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      That particular front end, however, has only been around for a few model years, along with the headlights and several other bits likely to be damaged in a collision.

      Depreciation will be stunning, not just killer. As will insurance costs, if you can find anybody to insure a warranty-less but brand-new car.
      What does a warranty have to do with insurance? What does your insurance company care if your engine blows up not related to an accident?

    16. Member rbloedow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2003
      Location
      GA
      Posts
      5,638
      Cars
      2017 VW Tiguan Sport, 2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription
      01-11-2012 04:43 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      That particular front end, however, has only been around for a few model years, along with the headlights and several other bits likely to be damaged in a collision.

      Depreciation will be stunning, not just killer. As will insurance costs, if you can find anybody to insure a warranty-less but brand-new car.
      Try 4 model years so far - he'll be fine. Also, Saab Parts is a completely separate entity than the automaker - they're not in bankruptcy and will continue to offer inventory.

      And plenty of insurers will still cover Saabs, and plenty of banks will still finance a loan for one. USAA does both, no problem.

      That said - I would def get gap insurance.

    17. Member Eightysixturbo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 18th, 2011
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      1,525
      Cars
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      01-11-2012 04:43 PM #16
      Well if you understand why this is a bad idea and you buy it anyway, then you're crazy.
      pardon my 'merican

    18. Member afrost's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2002
      Location
      Midwest
      Posts
      5,443
      Cars
      2004 R32, 2015 Golf R
      01-11-2012 04:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by rbloedow View Post
      Try 4 model years so far - he'll be fine. Also, Saab Parts is a completely separate entity than the automaker - they're not in bankruptcy and will continue to offer inventory.

      And plenty of insurers will still cover Saabs, and plenty of banks will still finance a loan for one. USAA does both, no problem.

      That said - I would def get gap insurance.
      I'm not so sure about the parts, dealers can't order any parts right now. I tried to get a key cut for a 2002 9-3 this week and it was a no go from the dealer, have to go to a locksmith place.

      Obviously parts from other used cars are out there, I'm just saying if you happen to need something that isn't easy to get off another car you are out of luck right now.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2008
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      3,169
      Cars
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      01-11-2012 04:47 PM #18
      Parts won't be a problem for a 9-3 at all, there are a billion of them out there.

      They're reasonably reliable and simple cars, so the warranty isn't a huge deal.

      Insurance also won't be a big deal because, again, parts are out there.

      $18k for a brand new 9-3 is a good deal, OP should buy.


      9-5 is much dodgier as there are NO parts. 9-3 is cake, and if you can get one on a deal and if that's what you want, do it. Don't mind the alarmists. The design has been around for eons.


      EDIT: But yeah, gap insurance, fasho.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

      Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Suffern, NY
      Posts
      870
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      01-11-2012 04:49 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Eightysixturbo View Post
      Well if you understand why this is a bad idea and you buy it anyway, then you're crazy.
      I don't think its a bad idea. I actually think its a good idea. I'm trying to see if anyone has a reason why they think its a bad idea so I can weigh my options. The conclusory statements that it is a bad idea do not help me in my analysis. Thanks to Turbio, I now know to check with my insurance company before pulling the trigger.

    21. 01-11-2012 04:50 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Wanganrunner View Post
      Parts won't be a problem for a 9-3 at all, there are a billion of them out there.
      I would have thought the same thing, but apparently that's not the case for the 9-3 wagon... I have a coworker whose 9-3 wagon was hit the other night and the insurance company and body shop are having trouble finding the parts for it.

      You're probably better off in the sedans, but... who knows how much better off? That's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
      Bowties (not the Chevy kind), tattoos, and mostly being completely undecided

    22. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      20,679
      Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      01-11-2012 04:50 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?
      I should sig this.

      Edit: Just did .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Suffern, NY
      Posts
      870
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      01-11-2012 04:51 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Wanganrunner View Post
      Parts won't be a problem for a 9-3 at all, there are a billion of them out there.

      They're reasonably reliable and simple cars, so the warranty isn't a huge deal.

      Insurance also won't be a big deal because, again, parts are out there.

      $18k for a brand new 9-3 is a good deal, OP should buy.


      9-5 is much dodgier as there are NO parts. 9-3 is cake, and if you can get one on a deal and if that's what you want, do it. Don't mind the alarmists. The design has been around for eons.


      EDIT: But yeah, gap insurance, fasho.
      Thanks. I like your reasoning. As for the gap insurance, car won't be financed, so it isn't a worry.

      The dealer is also offering an aftermarket warranty for 2500 for 3/36. I'd likely pass on that. We have a good mechanic that specializes in Swedish and German cars, and I usually fix all little stuff myself. Getting a deal for no warranty is actually quite beneficial to me.

    24. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      20,679
      Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      01-11-2012 04:53 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
      I would have thought the same thing, but apparently that's not the case for the 9-3 wagon... I have a coworker whose 9-3 wagon was hit the other night and the insurance company and body shop are having trouble finding the parts for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by afrost View Post
      I'm not so sure about the parts, dealers can't order any parts right now. I tried to get a key cut for a 2002 9-3 this week and it was a no go from the dealer, have to go to a locksmith place.
      Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't be looking at those used 9-5 wagons.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    25. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      20,679
      Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      01-11-2012 04:57 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      Thanks. I like your reasoning. As for the gap insurance, car won't be financed, so it isn't a worry.

      The dealer is also offering an aftermarket warranty for 2500 for 3/36. I'd likely pass on that. We have a good mechanic that specializes in Swedish and German cars, and I usually fix all little stuff myself. Getting a deal for no warranty is actually quite beneficial to me.
      I don't know... You seemed to have picked the good comment out of all the bad ones and latched onto it. Several posters are saying they can't find parts that should be easily accessible. Hell, not being able to cut a key is pretty scary. I read somewhere that door lock cylinders are no longer being stocked.

      I realize you think you can fix cars yourself but these are pretty complex. Hell, even the early ones are somewhat complicated, with the random computers controlling things. There are DIYs out there for older cars (example: removing backup batteries from the TWICE module and soldering in new ones) but I bet there's nothign for the newer cars.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    26. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      44,820
      Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      01-11-2012 04:57 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by afrost View Post
      What does a warranty have to do with insurance? What does your insurance company care if your engine blows up not related to an accident?
      It means you're more likely to submit a claim than if you had a warranty. Insurers assume that you'll be able to warranty for the first few years, so your insurance on a new car takes that into account.

      Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
      I would have thought the same thing, but apparently that's not the case for the 9-3 wagon... I have a coworker whose 9-3 wagon was hit the other night and the insurance company and body shop are having trouble finding the parts for it.

      You're probably better off in the sedans, but... who knows how much better off? That's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
      This. What happens if you're unable to find a key panel? A radiator support? A widget bracket? A headlight support? Maybe a door impact beam? A new lock core?

      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      Thanks. I like your reasoning. As for the gap insurance, car won't be financed, so it isn't a worry.

      The dealer is also offering an aftermarket warranty for 2500 for 3/36. I'd likely pass on that. We have a good mechanic that specializes in Swedish and German cars, and I usually fix all little stuff myself. Getting a deal for no warranty is actually quite beneficial to me.
      Your mechanic doesn't have a panel press, does he? Don't think blown motors. Think fender benders. What happens when you get tagged on the rear quarter?
      Last edited by Turbio!; 01-11-2012 at 05:01 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •