Fourtitude.com - Any lefty's teach themselves guitar?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

12-09-2011 11:53 PM #1
      I'm left handed...and almost 38 years old. Don't ask me why, but I've decided to buy a guitar and teach myself to play it.

After searching on Amazon, I placed an order tonight for all the stuff I think I'll need.

-Josh

1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2014 Focus
      12-23-2011 03:50 PM #2
      My 40-y/o neighbor is a lefty, bought a lefty backpacker and has taught himself quite well. He downloads tabs and chords for songs and just practices away. His wife complains that he "wastes hours every night screwing around on it" as he's reveling that he "spends every night wailin' on that isht!"
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

4. Member
      Cars
      R1 - FZ09 - RC390 - Colour Concept - GLX - Turbo4dr8v - Evo 8 RS - Forester
      01-24-2012 03:49 PM #3
      I'm a lefty.

It was no different for me learning to play, then I would think it would be for a right handed player. As a kid I'd pick up my dads guitars and just learn some chords upside down. But then after showing interest, I ended up with my own guitars, but mostly basses. I can still pick up his stuff and play a few things, or mess around on them. Even though you hold it the opposite way, "E-A-D-G-B-E" still goes the same way, so easy to figure out.

Only thing you could find difficult is purchasing left handed instruments. Most places will only stock the cheapest guitars for leftys, knowing that they are slow movers. My last bass was shipped from FL, and I usually look for most things online.

lefty content.

VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Wavetrac Differentials -- Better Technology. Better Performance. Better Quality.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Group B WRC, Group A DTM, and BHRC Cat 3.
      01-29-2012 09:10 PM #4
      I'm a self taught righty/lefty.

It was the same level of challenge for both hands.
      If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

What is a Homologation car you ask?
      http://www.fia.com/list-previously-homologated-cars

7. Administrator Emeritus
      Cars
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      01-30-2012 08:49 AM #5
      My little brother is left handed, and plays both the guitar and bass. Bass he learned left handed from the start, so he plays that "normally." Guitar, though, he taught himself on one of my old right handed ones, and left it strung right handed. He just flips it over and plays upside down, without restringing it. It's really strange to watch, but I don't mind, because it means I can still play his guitars!

-Tim
      The Old Guard
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

8. Member
      Cars
      2006 VW Jetta TDI
      10-29-2015 04:50 AM #6
      Great subject. When I was about 10, I borrowed a guitar from my BIL and started out trying to figure stuff out from a Chet Atkins record we had.

What I did was restrung it Lefty and was minding my own business teaching myself how to play. What happened with that is my dad made me restring it R/H siting some really nonsense reasons. He didn't know or care what worked right for me. After that, I l gave up learning to play and lost most of my really great learning years for learning to play.

Anyway a few tips:

• The market for Lefty is a completely different. If a shop has a Lefty, they will have it for a very long time and that is why they stock so few.
      • Most manufacturers do make quality lefty guitars, they are just harder to find.
      • Do not pay more for a Lefty.
      • Do not wast your money on L/H chord charts. Just learn to visualize a chord chart from the back side of the neck instead of the front side of the neck like a Righty does.
      • Learning from a Righty is a snap because they are just a mirror image of you.

Not being able to find quality Leftys is just plain nonsense, they are out there and when you find them, you can usually get a good deal on them.

A really great entry level level acoustic guitar is the Seagull S6 L/H. Very well made. When I upgraded to a very high end hand made Yairi by Alverez Lefty, I was able to sell my Lefty S6 pretty easily.

Also the non Yairi Alverez offerings are pretty close to price point of the S6. If you play electric there are tons of manufacturers, as well.

Tell us what brand/model you bought.
      Last edited by stratclub; 10-29-2015 at 05:11 AM.