Fourtitude.com - Difference b/w '97 & '98 cam sensors...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2018 Atlas 4MO, 2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2014 CC R-line
      11-17-2011 07:55 PM #1
      AAA motor (obviously).

Here's the deal:
      Long story but I picked up an engine wire harness from a '97 Jetta vr6. Only plug that doesn't match is the one I needed to match. My camshaft position sensor pigtail is really messed up very close to the plug.
      So I start installing this harness and sure enough the plugs are totally different. No big deal, I order a new cam sensor from a 97 vr6.
      I get one that physically plugs into the harness but now I need to move my coilpack. Bolt that holds sensor in is on different angle and puts harness plug pointing down (to where coilpack is).
      Also, shaft itself is a bit longer and slightly wider.

What the hell is the difference here and will I get a code? Will this one work?

I guess I'll find out sure enough Sunday when I move the coilpack and put this in but thought I'd ask why the hell make a change this obvious from 97 to 98.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance guys (long time, no chat in here)!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Mk2 GTI VR6... .......................Mk5 Rabbit 2.5
      11-17-2011 08:27 PM #2
      The later mk3 cam sensors used mk4 style connectors and also require the use of a matching upper timing cover. The bolt hole was placed in a different position so using the wrong sensor with the wrong timing cover makes the connector interfere with the coil pack. Not sure if the sensor will actually work, but bottom line is the timing cover must match the sensor

Prolly easiest to just buy a new connector housing and wiring repair leads for the original harness.

Early AAA style:

Late AAA/AFP style:

Last edited by Scotty_2.0; 11-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.
      /// VRSociety Member #298 /// bankrupt ///

Cars
      Mk2 GTI VR6... .......................Mk5 Rabbit 2.5
      11-17-2011 08:36 PM #3
      Nevermind, they def won't work. The earlier square plug style cam sensors use a magnetic trigger on the front camshaft while the later ones use a metal pickup with different sized gaps.\

Early style:

Later style 98-up AAA/AFP:

/// VRSociety Member #298 /// bankrupt ///