Fourtitude.com - 2011 Mustang GT 12,000 mile update- aka countdown-to-MT82-breaks-party
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 20 of 20
    1. Member tampaSi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2006
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      3,052
      Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      10-20-2011 04:54 PM #1
      For those that care (or don't), yesterday was a bit of a milestone in that I passed through 12,000 miles in my Mustang. To me, 10,000 is an insignificant amount, because racking up 12,000 in the time I've had it (which is 6 months) is one-third of the bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, as well as double the so-called 'average' driver amount of 12,000 per year. In that time, I think I've gotten a good-enough feel of the car to write up some notes, as well as weigh the pros and cons of ownership for those considering picking up a newer GT in the future.

      Why did I buy it?

      Bit of a tough one here, and something I ask myself quite a bit. Never been a 'Mustang' guy whatsoever. Never even been a domestic guy. But there seems to be a real dearth of exciting, fun-to-drive, new cars these days that don't cost German-sized $tacks. I came back from living abroad missing my Cayman S, which had unfortunately appreciated in value in the time since I'd owned one to a point that ruled out buying one again. With that off the list, I thought about a 335i. Too ubiquitous, not exciting enough. Then my mind wandered to a 135i. I liked this car a lot, and almost pulled the trigger on a two-year-old example, but for one thing: it just felt a little bit 'worn out'. With only 37k miles on the clock, that led me to believe that either this one had been flogged mercilessness by its PO, or the cars weren't built all that stoutly. Either way, I moved on, although I'm forever haunted by the possibility of what could have been. I really did like the 135i.

      Few other candidates were a MkVI GTI (didn't do it for me- a little too familiar), 370Z (gunslit windows and agrarian noises), Mini Cooper S (dinky interior) and CR-Z (didn't even test drive one, although I probably should have). No real common pattern here, just cars that interested me at a reasonable price point.

      Ultimately, I bought the Mustang because the finance terms were attractive, the car was brand new and I didn't have to worry about what any previous owners did to it, it had the options I wanted and it looked fantastic. And it was FAST. I wasn't even considering getting a 'yellow' car but the way it looked that day, in the sun, just did it for me. So I bought it.

      How's it been?

      At first, great. Then, as all new purchases do, it started to lose just a little of its luster. I haven't bought a car brand-new before and am thus new to the whole 'massive depreciation' concept. It's a bit of a downer. But other than that, the car itself has been very good. It's not as fun to drive as the Cayman, nor does it handle as well or delight in its build quality. BUT, it does the day-to-day thing very well. It's comfortable, it's big and safe, quiet, has a good stereo and lots of gadgets, even gets decent mileage considering (about 20 mpg mixed and 25 mpg purely highway). And it's very fast in a straight line and turns and stops more than reasonably well. Does it have the intangibles of a Porsche? No. Will it drain your wallet to the tune of $60 grand brand new and then threaten to vomit its internals all over the highway at the drop of a hat? No. So it has that going for it.

      It's built well-enough but it's got its issues. I can tell the jarring 'sport' suspension my car has, plus the Shaker stereo (aptly named for shaking loose plastic trim pieces) will cause some rattles eventually. The brakes squeak but I'm sure that's down to the pad compound for the Brembos. Paint runs are evident in a couple places and overall you can tell what you bought and why it delivers the performance of an M3 for half the price...this ain't no M3. But for the 99% like me, it'll be just fine.

      Has the MT82 shat the bed yet?

      No. Stop asking. Yes, second gear can be balky when cold. So were all of my Hondas, and they are revered for having some of the best manual transmissions in the business. When it's warmed up, it's bliss. And it doesn't 'grind'. Ever.

      Will you keep it?

      Maybe. Haven't decided yet. Professional situations change, as mine has, so in the near term I may need to seek something more economical and less flash. But we'll see. I took it out for a good romp today on some fast roads and it got my heart racing the way not too many cars can. Maybe I just need to do that a little more often. Florida autocross season is about to get rolling anyway...

      P4C, CSB:


      IMG_9650 by raregreen91, on Flickr


      IMG_9552 by raregreen91, on Flickr


      IMG_9554 by raregreen91, on Flickr


      IMG_9559 by raregreen91, on Flickr


      photo by raregreen91, on Flickr
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member elementpb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Mechanicsville, VA
      Posts
      3,742
      Cars
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      10-20-2011 05:07 PM #2
      Looks great.
      I'm at 22,000 in mine. 2nd transmission, 2nd clutch assembly, still grinds randomly. Its most noticeable when turning left while accelerating through an intersection, where it will usually totally lock out 2nd gear (and no the v6 doesn't have skip shift).

      I'd kill for a GT with a good transmission. Aside from that, its a fantastic car.

    4. Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      The Mitten
      Posts
      3,304
      Cars
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata, 2007 Si
      10-20-2011 05:24 PM #3
      Hot. That color is sweet in an odd way.
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    5. Member 302W's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      3,350
      10-20-2011 05:46 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      Looks great.
      I'm at 22,000 in mine. 2nd transmission, 2nd clutch assembly, still grinds randomly. Its most noticeable when turning left while accelerating through an intersection, where it will usually totally lock out 2nd gear (and no the v6 doesn't have skip shift).
      The biggest problem I see here is it's a V6

    6. Geriatric Member ByronLLN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Detroit Metro, Mich
      Posts
      39,634
      Cars
      '13 392, '90 Miata, '11 Wrangler
      10-20-2011 05:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      Hot. That color is sweet in every way.
      FTFY

    7. Banned AutoUnion32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2008
      Location
      Good Distance away from Fancy
      Posts
      8,272
      Cars
      Truck that runs on smug fuel
      10-20-2011 05:59 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 302W View Post
      The biggest problem I see here is it's a V6

    8. Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      The Mitten
      Posts
      3,304
      Cars
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata, 2007 Si
      10-20-2011 06:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      FTFY
      I love it in the sun but when it isn't in direct light, it's too butterscotch for me. Bleh.

      Grabber blue, on the other hand...

      *fapfapfapfapfapfap*
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    9. Member elementpb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Mechanicsville, VA
      Posts
      3,742
      Cars
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      10-20-2011 06:09 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 302W View Post
      The biggest problem I see here is it's a V6
      Same. But it was a practical choice because I drive 600+ miles a week.

    10. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      27,100
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-20-2011 06:23 PM #9
      Nice car, fancy pants! (I only have the base model!)

      I agree with a lot of what you said about the build quality of the car. It's far from a beater or jalopy, but at the same time, you know the same care wasn't put into the details as it was for many german cars. Though I will say I like the adjustable headrests, which are very vw-like. And there are some other nice touches that even the base model car has. Also very VW-like---the base model stereo sucks. Unlike my experiences with a VW (even in my VR Corrado), I still fight myself on occassion about whether to listen to the motor or the radio. Having spent a couple months with the car, I think there's something just insanely charming about the car. Not charming in a german "soul" sort of way, but I don't know, charming in an aloof Southern hospitality sort of way---if that makes any sense. But damn if the car doesn't move out when pushed hard!

      I'm glad to hear your transmission is treating you well. I have about a quarter of the mileage and my transmission is doing just fine. It's been 45F on occassion up here and the car still shifts like new. I'll be looking forward to what the NHTSA finds on their preliminary investigation.

      However, you left out the most important question! Mods?!?!?!?!? Yes, no? As I type this, I have a set of GT500 mufflers that I will hopefully install this weekend. After I type this and head out of work for the evening, I will be driving home in my blown corrado, which I have to admit feels quite a bit like a model T in comparison to the stock GT. Then again, it's much more at home on the track---where it likely will still get walked by a GT!

    11. Member terrabit2001's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2011
      Posts
      399
      Cars
      2010 Hyundai Elantra, 2011 Mustang GT, 1990 RX7 NA, 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD
      10-20-2011 07:10 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post

      Has the MT82 shat the bed yet?
      No. Stop asking.
      Jmatero? You here man?

    12. 10-20-2011 07:26 PM #11
      Great choice!

    13. Member Dogpizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      ny
      Posts
      2,148
      Cars
      81-sportruck 05-crf450supermoto 91-gli 88-quantumsyncro
      10-20-2011 07:34 PM #12
      oh what could have been with the 135......i get weak at the knees whenever i see one. i havent gotten to drive one yet but in theory and from the outside truely a perfect modern age drivers car.

    14. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      41,658
      Cars
      '20 Volvo V60 T5 R-Design Polestar
      10-20-2011 07:48 PM #13
      My tranny shat the bed at 4,000 miles!!!

      Yay.

      Lower it btw.

    15. Member curvedinfinity's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2004
      Location
      Highway to the danger zone
      Posts
      8,912
      Cars
      F14 Tomcat
      10-20-2011 08:01 PM #14
      Love your color choice! Glad its been holding up well.

    16. Member tampaSi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2006
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      3,052
      Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      10-20-2011 08:12 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      FTFY


      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Nice car, fancy pants! (I only have the base model!)

      I agree with a lot of what you said about the build quality of the car. It's far from a beater or jalopy, but at the same time, you know the same care wasn't put into the details as it was for many german cars. Though I will say I like the adjustable headrests, which are very vw-like. And there are some other nice touches that even the base model car has. Also very VW-like---the base model stereo sucks. Unlike my experiences with a VW (even in my VR Corrado), I still fight myself on occassion about whether to listen to the motor or the radio. Having spent a couple months with the car, I think there's something just insanely charming about the car. Not charming in a german "soul" sort of way, but I don't know, charming in an aloof Southern hospitality sort of way---if that makes any sense. But damn if the car doesn't move out when pushed hard!

      I'm glad to hear your transmission is treating you well. I have about a quarter of the mileage and my transmission is doing just fine. It's been 45F on occassion up here and the car still shifts like new. I'll be looking forward to what the NHTSA finds on their preliminary investigation.

      However, you left out the most important question! Mods?!?!?!?!? Yes, no? As I type this, I have a set of GT500 mufflers that I will hopefully install this weekend. After I type this and head out of work for the evening, I will be driving home in my blown corrado, which I have to admit feels quite a bit like a model T in comparison to the stock GT. Then again, it's much more at home on the track---where it likely will still get walked by a GT!
      I agree with you on the 'Southern hospitality' point. The car is refreshingly honest, but there are a few things I've found wrong with it that are just 'seriously guys?' type things.


      Quote Originally Posted by Dogpizza View Post
      oh what could have been with the 135......i get weak at the knees whenever i see one. i havent gotten to drive one yet but in theory and from the outside truely a perfect modern age drivers car.
      I definitely wasn't in love with the looks. They are nice cruisers but as a 'driver's car' they might leave a little to be desired.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

    17. Member tampaSi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2006
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      3,052
      Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      10-20-2011 08:15 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post


      However, you left out the most important question! Mods?!?!?!?!? Yes, no? As I type this, I have a set of GT500 mufflers that I will hopefully install this weekend. After I type this and head out of work for the evening, I will be driving home in my blown corrado, which I have to admit feels quite a bit like a model T in comparison to the stock GT. Then again, it's much more at home on the track---where it likely will still get walked by a GT!
      Almost forgot- no mods yet. But the GT500 mufflers will be first on the list. Please take some sound clips of them when you get them installed!

      After that, it'll be the Boss 302 shift knob, coilovers of some sort, and maybe eventually the Boss Recaros, if I keep it that long.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

    18. Member elementpb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Mechanicsville, VA
      Posts
      3,742
      Cars
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      10-20-2011 08:23 PM #17
      boss302 intake is a must. that plus a nice exhaust should have you really close to the 444hp. Might be slightly less, but with more torque than the Boss since it actually loses 10 to the GT.

      I really want the boss recaro seats. the 'leather' in the premium is horrible. 90% of it is vinyl, with a few leather pieces just so they can call it LEATHERtrimmed

    19. Member Dogpizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      ny
      Posts
      2,148
      Cars
      81-sportruck 05-crf450supermoto 91-gli 88-quantumsyncro
      10-20-2011 08:26 PM #18
      ah i see...good to hear. the looks, you either love em or hate em. i melt for em. either way good to hear your putting the thing through its paces and enjoying it. rather than letting it sit in the garage and looking at it rubbing your hands together "one day you will be worth GOLD!!!!! buahahahahahahahahahahahahahah" -_-.

    20. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      27,100
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-20-2011 08:41 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post
      Almost forgot- no mods yet. But the GT500 mufflers will be first on the list. Please take some sound clips of them when you get them installed!

      After that, it'll be the Boss 302 shift knob, coilovers of some sort, and maybe eventually the Boss Recaros, if I keep it that long.
      I like it! Let me know where you can find the Boss recaros if you end up doing them. One thing that I've come to appreciate about the mustang is that you can really mod these cars in pretty much any way you want. Looks, suspension, suspension, and any combination of the 3. It''s not all that much different in some ways than the VW world that I'm most accustomed to. Which makes it easier to change some of the "why did they do that" things you mentioned above. Though some of the cost cutting is a bit beyond what is offered in the aftermarket...I think.

      I've come up with my list of things I'd like to do as well:
      Definites
      -GT500 mufflers (this weekend, hopefully)
      -LOWER IT (not sure how I'm going to address that)
      -CDC lip spoiler
      -Replace the horrible base steering wheel (the suede boss steering wheel is only like $150!)
      -Replace horrible stock speakers with something from the aftermarket
      -Snow tires/wheels (probably get those in the next 2 months)
      -Lamin-X headlight film (going on this weekend)

      If I own it long enough-in no particular order
      -OEM HID conversion, if possible
      -Full exhaust
      -Forced induction
      -Boss recaro seats
      -add a few more suspension parts
      -oil cooler

      Or maybe I'll get something else completely if I start doing some extensive mods.

    21. 10-20-2011 08:47 PM #20
      Good to hear the car is treating you well. Why get rid of it if you were one of the lucky ones that got a good one. I say keep it.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •