Fourtitude.com - School me on the 07 Accord EX-L, 6-Speed
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 103
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2002
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      1,049
      Cars
      07 Accord EX-L (6-6 sedan)
      09-28-2014 10:45 PM #51
      First of all, kudos to Stromaluski for consolidating all of the “School Me” threads into one thread. (https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ool-Me-threads). Second of all, every year I mean to post an update to this thread but I have never done so. I always like reading the various other update threads that are posted...so here goes.

      3 year update:

      I purchased a 2007 Honda Accord EX-L sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission in October of 2011. Since then, I have put on 60k miles and the car currently has 90K miles. Overall the car has performed very well. I still find it fun to drive while at the same time being very practical.

      Pros:

      - Front seats are extremely comfortable
      - Gearbox is very precise with relatively short throws
      - Power is there when you need it
      - MPG – 30+ in summer and 28+ in winter (regular gas)

      Cons (I had to think about this one):

      - Heated seats take a long time to get hot
      - When the HVAC system is turned off and you turn it on, the compressor automatically turns on.

      Maintenance:


      I did all of the work myself (with the exception of tires, recall and warranty work). Over the past 3 years I have replaced/changed:

      - Tires
      - Oil/fliter
      - Battery
      - Coolant
      - Spark plugs
      - Air filter and cabin filter
      - Brakes – pads, rotors and brake fluid
      - Front struts (Honda OEM – Showa)
      - Front stabilizer links (Honda OEM)
      - Power steering hose – recall
      - 3rd Gear TSB – performed under powertrain warranty

      Future work:

      - Timing belt service approaching
      - Power steering rack is leaking at the high pressure line - It's a slow leak so I am just keeping an eye on the fluid level
      - Front hood – Underneath the front edge of the hood there is a seam that is beginning to rust.

      Conclusion:

      I’ve taken the car on multiple trips to PA to Boston and one trip from PA to Florida. I find it extremely comfortable for long periods of driving. The interior is well laid out and I think it is very simple and well designed. The exterior is typical Honda, not the best but still better than the 8th generation Accord. The maintenance that I have done to the car has been mostly routine. I decided to change the front struts only because of the terrible roads in PA/NJ that I drive. This past winter destroyed the roads and the car took a beating. Being said, with the new OEM struts and stabilizer links the car drives like it did when I first got it with 28K miles.

      Overall I think it has been a great car and I plan to drive it for as long as I can.

      Semi-recent pictures:



      Last edited by A2L90E; 09-28-2014 at 10:54 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member paradigmGT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2004
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      3,358
      Cars
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
      09-29-2014 10:13 AM #52
      Good update, I wish I had the manual transmission in my 2004 V6 EX coupe. I find generally the same things as you with it; extremely comfortable, good on gas, very well laid out and generally reliable. I have used it on many road trips however last summer it started to throw the TCS/Warning/CEL lamps and go into limp mode after a very long drive (400 miles or so). Turned out to be the main ABS unit which needed replacing, so after that has been replaced it made it just fine from Toronto to NYC this past weekend .
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed
      Acura MDX

      Gone but not forgotten: '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '00 Mustang GT 5MT | and a bunch of Maximas and other cars...

    4. 09-29-2014 01:01 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by A2L90E View Post
      I purchased a 2007 Honda Accord EX-L sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission in October of 2011. Since then, I have put on 60k miles and the car currently has 90K miles. Overall the car has performed very well. I still find it fun to drive while at the same time being very practical.
      I completely envy you. I was looking for one of these four years ago but could not land my hands on one in good shape or for the right price. I ended up with the EX-L 4-cylinder model. And I absolutely love the front seats - to the point that I worry about the day I have to get another car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel!
      It really is the perfect, no excuses all-rounder for the rich guy who's accustomed to having it all - the Hybrid version especially. It's like an F-150 Raptor banged an M5 in the men's room of a biker bar. Nobody really wanted the results, but damn - what a set of genes.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2012
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      4,055
      Cars
      2015 Mustang Ecoboost, 2011 EX35
      09-29-2014 01:34 PM #54
      Very nice.

      If you want more power, aftermarket j-pipes ("headers" for built in manifolds) should pick up 20hp.

      If I found one in good enough shape, I would seriously consider dumping my civic for it and saving some money.

    6. 09-29-2014 01:49 PM #55
      The only cons I can think of are the lack of LSD and having a timing belt vs chain. Otherwise a great car and I would love to own one for a daily.

    7. 09-29-2014 02:45 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      What will break though:
      - door lock actuators
      - front lower control arm bushings
      - power steering pump/leakage/high-pressure line
      - front engine mount
      - rear bank catalyst failure after 100k

      A unique piece to this car is the intake runner thingy (IMT) that usually doesn't work correctly after an EGR repair. Make sure whomever works on the car knows about the IMT system and it's function.
      I've had to replace the upper and lower control arms on my Accord (at 110K miles) along with the ball joints. Everything else is fine.

      I have to ask - the front engine mounts on these cars have broken before? It's such a sturdy looking part I'm surprised to see it on this list. (I used to drive a Protege, hence my concern.)

      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel!
      It really is the perfect, no excuses all-rounder for the rich guy who's accustomed to having it all - the Hybrid version especially. It's like an F-150 Raptor banged an M5 in the men's room of a biker bar. Nobody really wanted the results, but damn - what a set of genes.

    8. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      11,728
      Cars
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      09-29-2014 02:54 PM #57
      My engine mounts had to be taken care of. They are stout, but they were definitely broken when the mechanic showed them to me.

      My comment above, about the car being relatively sporty, must have been typed after a great night. I own a Mini now. Probably not as reliable, but way more sporty.

    9. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      15,161
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      09-29-2014 04:11 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by rynodyno312 View Post
      Very nice.

      If you want more power, aftermarket j-pipes ("headers" for built in manifolds) should pick up 20hp.

      If I found one in good enough shape, I would seriously consider dumping my civic for it and saving some money.
      I've had the same thought many times, these are near-unicorn status.

      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      I have to ask - the front engine mounts on these cars have broken before? It's such a sturdy looking part I'm surprised to see it on this list.
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      My engine mounts had to be taken care of. They are stout, but they were definitely broken when the mechanic showed them to me.
      Mine were also broken when we traded our V6+5AT in.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    10. 09-29-2014 04:20 PM #59
      There is a V6 Six speed manual sedan at my parking lot at work, looks like the owner has trashed the thing sadly , usually parking nearby is a same gen cylinder base manual too.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2002
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      1,049
      Cars
      07 Accord EX-L (6-6 sedan)
      09-29-2014 10:52 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      I've had to replace the upper and lower control arms on my Accord (at 110K miles) along with the ball joints. Everything else is fine.

      I have to ask - the front engine mounts on these cars have broken before? It's such a sturdy looking part I'm surprised to see it on this list. (I used to drive a Protege, hence my concern.)

      Control arm bushings, especially the compliance bushing at the front of the arm, are weak spots on Accords and other Hondas (Civics and Pilots).

      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      I've had the same thought many times, these are near-unicorn status.

      Mine were also broken when we traded our V6+5AT in.
      It took me a few months to find mine. It was a one-owner and they provided me with everything that you would want when buying a used car (original window sticker, all keys, radio code, manuals, all receipts etc). When I tell co-workers that it is a rare optioned car they laugh at me since it is just a Honda Accord.

      Motor mounts seem to be a weak spot as well. From what I have read, usually the front and the side mounts go. The back one does not go bad often.

      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      There is a V6 Six speed manual sedan at my parking lot at work, looks like the owner has trashed the thing sadly , usually parking nearby is a same gen cylinder base manual too.
      I rarely see other 6-6 sedans either on the road or parked. I cannot recall the last time I saw another one.

      A simple search on autotrader.com shows that at the current moment:

      - 2,855 2006-2007 Honda Accord sedans are listed for sale
      - 1,005 of the 2,855 are listed as a V6 (35.2%)
      - 34 of the 1,005 are listed as having a manual transmission (3.4% of V6 population and 1.2% of total population)

      Unicorn status confirmed

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2012
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      4,055
      Cars
      2015 Mustang Ecoboost, 2011 EX35
      09-29-2014 11:11 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      I've had the same thought many times, these are near-unicorn status.
      Indeed. The 6-speed TL is an easier find, though they don't seem to have aged as well as the accords in terms of wear and tear, at least from the examples I have seen for sale.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2002
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      1,049
      Cars
      07 Accord EX-L (6-6 sedan)
      11-18-2016 05:25 PM #62
      5 year update:

      Turned 131k miles last week. Timing belt and front crank seal done at 95k miles. Other than that, just routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil, etc). Hit a small deer which cracked part of the front bumper (it was a little guy). Had a few bent rims repaired (thanks PennDOT). Still averaging 29-30mpg.

      Overall, it has been a great car.

    14. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      8,876
      Cars
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      11-18-2016 07:03 PM #63
      The "red badge" 06-07 Accord is one of the cars on my future shortlist (including the manual TSX, TL, and Si). The only real problem is they are nearly impossible to find, the couple I've seen have over 170K miles. How do they drive?
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2002
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      1,049
      Cars
      07 Accord EX-L (6-6 sedan)
      11-19-2016 04:13 PM #64
      I think it is a great car to drive. Plenty of power when you need it. Handles well for a sedan...much better than my brothers 2006 4 cylinder Accord. The clutch feel leaves much to be desired. One day I will remove the clutch delay valve to see if that helps. As most cars with a wireless throttle, there is significant "hang". Not sure if my car is worse than others but you learn to adapt.

      But my favorite part is that it is a Honda Accord and goes unnoticed on the road.

    16. Member Biff Beltsander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      Posts
      4,468
      Cars
      Six Speed Earth Dreamer
      11-19-2016 05:41 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by A2L90E View Post
      5 year update:

      Turned 131k miles last week. Timing belt and front crank seal done at 95k miles. Other than that, just routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil, etc). Hit a small deer which cracked part of the front bumper (it was a little guy). Had a few bent rims repaired (thanks PennDOT). Still averaging 29-30mpg.

      Overall, it has been a great car.
      I have a 05. Had it for about three years. This year the hood had to be repainted. Next year more things will need to be repainted. That beautiful black pearl with the metallic blue pearl flake is very poor quality.
      Also I have a patch on the drivers seat where the leather failed. But then again, Honda's are known for cheap leather and paint.

      I love the six speed and the engine's power. A very nice aftermarket exhaust really makes it sound nice and the aftermarket headlights look nice on the black paint. They were sanded and buffed this year as well.

      Had the timing belt and lifters done this year as well.

      Overall, I love the car. Sadly it's a twenty footer. So here it is looking good from afar... Don't get too close.

      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

    17. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      15,161
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      11-19-2016 05:43 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      The "red badge" 06-07 Accord is one of the cars on my future shortlist (including the manual TSX, TL, and Si). The only real problem is they are nearly impossible to find, the couple I've seen have over 170K miles. How do they drive?
      They drive very well. "Solid" would be a good word. Yet still nimble and very aggressive.

      I'd much rather have one than a TSX 6MT if that helps.

      When I had mine, my best buddy IRL had a Lexus IS300 and a B6 A4 3.0 6MT Sport plus. The Accord was my wife's car, so automatic w/no paddles, yet still wiped the floor with both of his TCL Darlings in any setting. Plus it was more fun to drive and no less "interesting".
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    18. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      8,876
      Cars
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      11-20-2016 07:30 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      They drive very well. "Solid" would be a good word. Yet still nimble and very aggressive.

      I'd much rather have one than a TSX 6MT if that helps.

      When I had mine, my best buddy IRL had a Lexus IS300 and a B6 A4 3.0 6MT Sport plus. The Accord was my wife's car, so automatic w/no paddles, yet still wiped the floor with both of his TCL Darlings in any setting. Plus it was more fun to drive and no less "interesting".
      Huh, cool story I actually first rode in a 7th gen last night. My best buddy bought a base BHPH 2007 (a massive departure from the $500-$1000 cars he's had), They seem solid and well made, and relatively quiet. I've been thinking alot about the red badges lately- 240 reliable hp on 87 octane, 6 speed, and heated leather seats. It's a nearly impossible car to locate in my area, though (including northern IL). I also still like the TSX but I feel like I may be underwhelmed by the K24, which is nearly 2 seconds behind the 6/6.

      Yeah, I'll be the first to say that the IS300s have a very underwhelming powertrain, especially with the automatic. It's a match made in hell, and the worst of both worlds. That being said, dynamically the IS300s are superb, and I find it hard to believe a "normal" Accord V6 auto is superior in that aspect-steering, handling and chassis are great on the Lexus. I wouldn't put it past me to consider a very clean 04-05 IS300 manual with the LSD for the right price. Of course, on principal I don't want anything more than 10 years old though...

      It would probably just be the smartest to buy the best example of my 3 or 4 options I'm considering, considering there are only a few for sale at any given time.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    19. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      31,560
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      11-20-2016 11:19 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      It's such a sturdy looking part I'm surprised to see it on this list.
      The rubber portion toward the top of the mount just snaps off. Every Accord with both available transmissions will get at least one front engine mount and two side mounts in their lifetime.

    20. 11-21-2016 05:37 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      The rubber portion toward the top of the mount just snaps off. Every Accord with both available transmissions will get at least one front engine mount and two side mounts in their lifetime.
      Any warning signs as to when that will occur? If I can catch it before it happens I would really like to. I'm at 150K on my Accord and it's finally showing hints that select suspension/chassis components are wearing. This for me is impressive, since it means that I can really drive this sucker into the ground before transitioning into a new car. Strangely enough, I may not get another Accord as the new interior two-screen setup is a major turn off.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel!
      It really is the perfect, no excuses all-rounder for the rich guy who's accustomed to having it all - the Hybrid version especially. It's like an F-150 Raptor banged an M5 in the men's room of a biker bar. Nobody really wanted the results, but damn - what a set of genes.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2002
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      2,802
      11-23-2016 10:54 AM #70
      OP, I owned an Accord 6-6 before my Chevy SS (needed a ccar between selling the W8 and waiting for the SS). Loved every minute driving it! Looked for about 6 months before finding one.

      I'd actually like to own one again with less miles but they seem to go for crazy money. I looked at one in PA two years ago, has 130k on it, guy was asking $9500 for it. Nuts.
      Anyway very solid cars. many people say the 2006-2007 are most reliable accords. I aways thought my Accord 6-6- felt like a modern Acura G2 Legend.

      Best of luck! How many miles are on it?
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 1990 MB 300e @106k - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep GC V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

    22. Member MightyDSM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      St. Louis
      Posts
      6,695
      Cars
      '15 Mustang GT, EM1 Civic Si
      11-23-2016 11:48 AM #71
      I recently bought an 03 Accord V6 but with auto as my daily. It's been good so far, comfortable.

    23. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      31,560
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      11-23-2016 01:25 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      Any warning signs as to when that will occur?
      Not really. There will be a noticeable clunk on acceleration that is the signature of the both mounts breaking.

    24. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      15,161
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      11-23-2016 03:24 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Not really. There will be a noticeable clunk on acceleration that is the signature of the both mounts breaking.
      Yup, ours had this. You could really hear it on the 1-2 shift.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2002
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      1,049
      Cars
      07 Accord EX-L (6-6 sedan)
      11-23-2016 05:32 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
      How many miles are on it?
      I have about 131k miles on it. Cosmetically it is not perfect (cracked bumper, rust under leading edge of hood, clear coat on rims is flaking off) but mechanically it is in excellent shape. if I could find another one I would buy it as a spare.

    26. Junior Member BlackMk6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2016
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      97
      Cars
      2015 Jetta S
      11-23-2016 05:37 PM #75
      This is all you'll need

      2006 Honda Accord SE
      2015 VW Jetta S 2.slow - Window Tint | Fancy Vanity Plate
      *SOLD* 2003 Ford Ranger 4X2 Extended Cab Edge

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •