Fourtitude.com - The "you need a Miata" thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 227 of 248 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
    Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 6191
    1. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      08-22-2019 12:12 PM #5651
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandontrek1 View Post
      I will only consider #1500 or below....
      That would've been a great opportunity to remove the pics from the quote.

... and ask about the glob of glue under the badge in the close-up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Several.
      08-22-2019 01:21 PM #5652
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      That would've been a great opportunity to remove the pics from the quote.

... and ask about the glob of glue under the badge in the close-up.
      Should just be water, rained this morning.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      08-22-2019 01:21 PM #5653
      Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
      Yeah, well, there's an absolute zero chance that I'll ever go that route for a bazillion reasons. Nothing to watch out for.
      thats what they all say ....

see you in 2 week BTW
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      08-22-2019 03:37 PM #5654
      Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
      Made it through my third Track Night in America without incident in my '90. I moved up to Intermediate this time and discovered the problem with having people self-select their run group: there are people in Intermediate who don't belong there. Early in the first session I ran across an oldish Mustang GT500 who was absolutely not letting anyone pass. I was sixth in line and figured it would be easier to pit and ask for space than wait my turn, assuming there was ever going to be a turn. By the time I got to the pits, the Mustang had already been black-flagged and there were no other problems after that as he was busted down to Novice.

And then lots more words...
      It's experiences like this that make me rethink a decision to sell the Miata every time it comes up. Albeit mine is far from stock but, the fun you have keeping up with or passing cars worth many times more than yours and then getting the "You're Fast!" response is so damn pleasing. It most likely won't happen as much in my RX-8.

As for your comment regarding the GT500, that's what scares me away from TNIA. It's a fantastic concept but, there isn't enough governance in it for me. I'm typically in the intermediate groups at my local track. I have no problem spotting flag stations, no problem NOT following the car in front me, and I've had my fair share of hairy incidents. I'm comfortable in that class. What I've heard from attendees at TNIA is there are many beginners that don't think they belong in that group or they don't want to deal with noobs. Then the advanced group can be kind of nutty at these events too so, people knock themselves down a notch so they don't have to deal with the egos. So now you have a group of "I ain't no noob!" and "I'm fast, I just don't want to deal with those jerks" and then me. It just doesn't sound controlled enough for my liking.
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

Cars
      Several.
      08-23-2019 09:55 AM #5655
      That was a water drop on the bottom of the badge, FYI.

Proper photos:

7. Member
      Cars
      2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 AWD, 2018 Mazda Miata Club
      09-11-2019 12:49 PM #5656
      One year anniversary on my 2018 Club.

Car's running great, no issues to report.

It's been a pleasure owning and driving this car. People compliment me all the time. Very rare car.

Miata drivers of all generations wave/wave back at me when I pass them on the road

2900 miles.

I hope I never have to give up having a convertible. It's like therapy for me If I'm feeling down, I hop in the Miata and take a ride. All's good.

8. Member
      09-11-2019 02:10 PM #5657
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Just sold my NA to a young kid, who dailied a 71 MG Midget and a 73-79 Sub. Much cooler than the ear-stretch kid who complained at me when the RX7's compressor locked up and threw a couple belts off. Sold for 3100 (after I reduced the non-hardtop price from 3600), and If I stipulate that the hardtop with it's rare defroster and the dry rotted ice tires are worth 1200 together, I broke even. Not to bad considering I owned it for over 3 years, and only put in an exhaust and a battery.

Anyone want a factory (not aftermarket) montego blue hardtop with defrost?

I'd generally shift at 6K in my NA, my MSM has an unfortunately low 6500 RPM redline, and with how late the turbo spools up I only have 1800 RPM to play with. I'm sure there are ways to get boost to come on earlier and that'll make it much more enjoyable. I'd even be open to a turbo swap to bring the power up, since I'd be shocked to be above 150 WHP.

Ironically, in town and below 30 MPH, the NA was actually more fun. The gear spacing was just perfect, but it did run out of steam in a hurry.

Around here an oem hardtop with defrost in reasonable condition sells for $1k within a couple of days typically.

Cars
      Several.
      09-11-2019 02:53 PM #5658
      I'm moving on for real this time - car doesn't get driven, and I've definitely shifted interests away from cars and more towards cycling/traveling.

First dibs goes to a friend of mine, if he decides to pass, I'll let everyone know. I know several people on here and in other places had expressed interest the last time I waffled on keeping the Meata.

10. Member
      Cars
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      09-11-2019 03:15 PM #5659
      Very excited to see how these Flyings Miata frame rails feel. Also a little scared now that I've removed the carpet and dash. I'm sure the engine conversion is moving along. It has to be. Meanwhile parts from the engine and interior are piling up.

I'm definitely thinking about doing the butterfly brace after the engine and trans are in, but won't know if there will be enough clearance with the Nissan 6MT
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

Cars
      Several.
      09-11-2019 04:26 PM #5660
      Nissan 6MT?

Did I miss something?

12. Member
      Cars
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      09-19-2019 11:57 AM #5661
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      Nissan 6MT?

Did I miss something?
      My last Miata was a bare metal, nut and bolt restoration with a 180WHP normally aspirated Nissan SR20 and 6MT.

There was a bad crash and I'm lucky to be alive. That power combo in the Miata was too good so I bought a low(er) mileage BRG to install that drivetrain. Think of it as V.2. Doing the documentation on iG brg_sr20miata

Here's a 2700mi road trip that I did in that car 2yrs ago for the 2017 Japanese Classic Car Show (which, incidentally is happening this weekend in Long Beach, CA)
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-21-2019 01:36 PM #5662
      Gorgeous warm fall day so I gave Little Red a bath and took a spin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rLRpPF...d=rmska09aiwpn

Came back and pulled the trunk all apart and cleaned it up. Zero rust or moisture. Sprayed the top shock bolts with PB Blaster as I’ll be doing that job later this fall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rfpNbl...=1pr6tzp6mhujn

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rkYCRF...=1ckggit9brycl

Discovered my spare was dead-flat, probably has been for decades.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rkmZWF...d=lrij01hj8yyn

Reclocked my window cranks so they don’t dig into my leg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rnxWRF...=12abylwz1pm27

Cars
      Several.
      09-21-2019 02:54 PM #5663
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      My last Miata was a bare metal, nut and bolt restoration with a 180WHP normally aspirated Nissan SR20 and 6MT.

There was a bad crash and I'm lucky to be alive. That power combo in the Miata was too good so I bought a low(er) mileage BRG to install that drivetrain. Think of it as V.2. Doing the documentation on iG brg_sr20miata

Here's a 2700mi road trip that I did in that car 2yrs ago for the 2017 Japanese Classic Car Show (which, incidentally is happening this weekend in Long Beach, CA)
      I do remember your crash - was sad to see that car meet such an unfortunate end. But was glad to see your road didn't end with the car's.

I'll be following that build.

Cars
      Five two-seat roadsters, a hatchback, and a big ass pickup truck
      09-21-2019 10:54 PM #5664
      One more Track Night in the books. This one involved a bit of a thrash because I tried to fix things.

First mistake was going with poly bushings back in 2015, but that doesn't rear its ugly head till later.

Earlier in the summer I thought I heard some thumping from the right front shock. Fortunately, there's the Koni guy on site at Solo Nationals who can fix that kind of stuff. So I yanked out the suspension and threw the shocks in the truck. Koni guy found one the shock in question had a torqued pistol, often caused by using an impact to buzz the top nuts on (oops). He fixed that and rebuilt the right front so they were equal. The rears were fine. He had the shocks for a day and charged me $20 for the parts needed for the rebuilds.

Back home, I reassembled the coilovers (without using the impact) and while I had my hands dirty, figured I should look at the brakes. The fronts were very thin (Autozone pads don't hold up to three track nights, go figure). Talked with Sam Strano about more suitable brakes and he sent me Hawk DTC30s. I also ordered a new set of RE71Rs through him.

I had everything together Friday night. My next week was going to get busy: I didn't want to put the new tires on until I got an alignment, so that was priority #1. But those tires needed to be mounted, and I needed a new trailer tire since I had one go bad on the way home from Nationals. This all had to be done before Thursday.

Monday afternoon I drove the hour to my preferred alignment place in Gaithersburg. Got there and the car was making some fun noises out of the front end. Alignment guy felt something was up and put it on the lift, and spotted what looked like a bad bushing (twisted? torn?) in the right front lower control arm. So I didn't get an alignment and instead had to drive 90 minutes home (thanks DC traffic) to weigh my options while something in the front end rattled away over every bump.

Tuesday I bit the bullet and pulled the right LCA with its original rubber bushings out of the wife's '93 (the green car I took on vacation earlier this summer). I marked the alignment on the '90 and pulled that LCA and franky the bushings looked OK to me, but what do I know. I put in the other arm using the old alignment marks and just eyeballing things, the camber looked right and toe was still zero according to my toe plates. A quick drive around the block showed me the car went down the road straight, but that rattling was still there.

Finally it dawned on me, the rattling was from the brake pads not staying put inside the calipers. I could quiet them down by applying a little brake pressure. A buddy asked if I had the anti-rattle springs installed, and I admitted that I never saw them in the 11 years I owned this car, or in the '93 which we've had for ten. But I was told that this would fix it so I found an Autozone with a hardware kit in stock, got that, and Wednesday I put the car in the air and put those in. Quick test drive, brakes are quiet. Nice 15-minute $12 fix.

But at this point I knew I didn't want to drive back to Gaithersburg and back for an alignment, and the car seemed to track straight, so I said I'd wing it this last time out and kept the old tires on the car. I threw the wheels and tires from the '93 (2012 Dunlop Z1 Star Specs) into the back of the truck for spares and loaded up for Dominion.

Track Night went really well. I was a bit concerned about having new brakes but they kept calling for Intermediate drivers to come to pit road and nobody was going, and I wound up first in line. Early on braking was an adventure, I got enough heat in the pads to get them nice and happy while the tires weren't there yet so I was modulating on the edge of lockup quite a bit early. Eventually I figured out how to slow down and did OK. I took another second off my best time and didn't have to deal with much traffic. There were three cars slower than me: a Cayenne Turbo S, a Fiesta ST, and a newish Civic. They were all good at letting me by. I was only passed by four cars, a Charger, a Mustang, and two newish Camaros. I got my doors blown off by the Camaros every session, while the Stang and the Charger I only dealt with in the first one.

I have to figure out what to do with the car over the winter. I've disliked the poly bushings almost as soon as I installed them and I'd like them gone. I just picked up a set of control arms and I might install them as is, or maybe put in the Mazda competition bushing set ($700!). We'll see how badly I cheap out. Nice bonus, the control arms I got include the spindles and NA 1.8 brakes so I might install those calipers just because I have them. Either way I'm looking forward to next spring when I can take the car out again with a real alignment and fresh tires.

Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

16. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      09-28-2019 10:48 AM #5665
      Wow.. this guy got it done.
      It's not perfect.. far from it.
      But it's done and works and look cool.

17. Member
      Cars
      2015 Fiesta ST, 97 Miata
      09-29-2019 09:03 PM #5666
      I changed the engine and diff oils this weekend, no big deal. I also put the ford motorcraft full synthetic in the trans...wow, immediate impact. I highly recommend it. 2 and 5 used to be a little notchy, now everything is great. I think I'm a shifter rebuild away from total nirvana.

18. Member
      09-29-2019 09:13 PM #5667
      I ordered the Moroso reservoir tank from Goodwin this weekend. Went with the black anodized....looking forward to installing it one evening this week.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Cars
      09-29-2019 10:35 PM #5668
      Quote Originally Posted by Techun View Post
      I changed the engine and diff oils this weekend, no big deal. I also put the ford motorcraft full synthetic in the trans...wow, immediate impact. I highly recommend it. 2 and 5 used to be a little notchy, now everything is great. I think I'm a shifter rebuild away from total nirvana.
      My mechanic used Redline Synth for mine, no complaints. But I wonder if the Motorcraft would make a bigger difference.

Cars
      09-29-2019 10:37 PM #5669
      Foliage ride today.

21. Member
      09-29-2019 11:06 PM #5670
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Foliage ride today.

I'm super jealous of you having seasons. We go straight to mild-winter then back to surface of the sun.
      '11 GTI (wifeys)

22. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-30-2019 09:05 AM #5671
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      I'm super jealous of you having seasons. We go straight to mild-winter then back to surface of the sun.
      Believe it or not it's been like that here lately, too. Today they're expecting 98º, then two days at 99º, then 92º, but after that it should finally cool off and have highs in the 70s, where they typically are this time of year. I'm sick of the heat!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

23. 09-30-2019 09:17 AM #5672
      Is it me or does the internet not talk about Miata anymore?

I never see articles about them anymore
      I rarely see people asking for Miata shopping advice.
      They have not come up in personal emails or friend convos.

It's like ever since the release of the ND settled down,
      there has been no more Miata talk.

Cars
      09-30-2019 09:19 AM #5673
      The facebook groups I belong to are very active. There's also a lot of very active Miata-focused Instagram accounts. I think it's just the move to social media that's changing user behavior.

25. Junior Member
      09-30-2019 09:47 PM #5674
      I've been checking prices on ND1 cars from time to time, and they're starting to break into the $15k bracket now. By the time I'm ready to get one in a few years I'm hoping I can find an ND2 car for that kind of money. Interestingly, Fiatas are not cheaper than the cheapest ND Miatas, at least on a short cars.com search. I thought they might not hold value as well, but I'm betting Fiat isn't selling as many cars as Mazda. Has anyone looked at the sales stats?

26. Member
      09-30-2019 11:30 PM #5675
      Quote Originally Posted by MissSomething12 View Post
      Is it me or does the internet not talk about Miata anymore?

I never see articles about them anymore
      I rarely see people asking for Miata shopping advice.
      They have not come up in personal emails or friend convos.

It's like ever since the release of the ND settled down,
      there has been no more Miata talk.
      There are some good forums with Miata enthusiasts out there one ending in .net if I can say that on here? People are still buying them but mostly used and either like myself as a weekend car or a dedicated Miata DD'er and glutton for punishment lol! Just kidding...

I love mine and wish I could drive it more often but my daily is a truck and required for my job. When I bought my NC back in January I looked at a few early ND cars but I could get so much more NC for the money so I went that route. The other thing I wanted to mention is the 2 seat roadster with a manual transmission is a dying breed. Plus add in this current generation of millennials who, like my daughter, are perfectly content with a paid in cash '07 Accord and don't know what a clutch pedal is doesn't help the cause. I do appreciate you bringing up this point though, and i'm hoping the Miata will go the way with the S2000 in values as well.
      '11 GTI (wifeys)

Page 227 of 248 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast