Fourtitude.com - The "you need a Miata" thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 101 of 221 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
    Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 5505
    1. Member Claff's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Waldorf, MD
      Posts
      1,377
      Cars
      Five two-seat roadsters, a hatchback, and a big ass pickup truck
      12-16-2014 08:25 PM #2501
      Going by shaky memory from changing my radiator a couple years ago, I *think* the bottom mounts of the radiator are pegs that fit into slots on the chassis, and the only fasteners that hold the radiator in place are at the top on either side. Your radiator might have been popped out of those slots at the bottom. It's not the end of the world if that's the case, and it can probably be fixed just by undoing the bolts at the top and wiggling it back into place. You should be able to do this without loosening the hoses.

      I could be completely wrong. If it were dayligt I'd look at my car and confirm the above, but in the dark I don't think I can. Good luck.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member nemo1ner's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2004
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      9,306
      Cars
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      12-16-2014 08:38 PM #2502
      Thanks. The radiator's pegs are in their slots. I was just afraid that the support under the bumper somehow bent. I couldn't really see any signs of bending, so everything may be ok. Either way, I filed a report just so I could see the car in daylight in case there is any damage that I couldn't see at night and in the rain.

      People often wonder why I don't want a newish car as a daily. This is why.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

    4. Member EuroAtomic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Sticks of NJ
      Posts
      3,193
      Cars
      Cult Cars.
      12-17-2014 12:21 AM #2503
      That sucks! If you will need any detailed pics for alignment/positioning of radiator just PM me, I have my car sitting 30ft away. As long as 94 is the same.

      Hope the nose damage is not bad.

    5. Banned kwik!gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      8,743
      Cars
      EM1, EP3, NA6
      12-17-2014 07:04 AM #2504
      Sucks about the damage. Get yourself the undertray that is missing from your car.

    6. Member nemo1ner's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2004
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      9,306
      Cars
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      12-17-2014 02:02 PM #2505
      Haven't gotten around to getting the undertray yet.

      So far, all that I can see is a dent in the bumper and scratches going up towards the hood from where her rear bumper went over. I also hear some type of clunking from the front passenger side suspension. May not be related.

      I was out during lunch and was almost hit in the parking lot. Car came burning in thinking that he had found a parking spot in the front row where I was parked in. I was in the car and heard some slight tire squeal. Looked up and there was a Ford Taurus nearly on top of my trunk.

      So far, there have were 4 occasions where people didn't see me, and have either hit or nearly hit me. And in a bright blue, straight piped car, it's not like I'm incon****inspicous, am I?
      Last edited by nemo1ner; 12-17-2014 at 02:14 PM.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

    7. Member stephen9666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2009
      Posts
      338
      Cars
      Three boring ones, but they all have manuéls
      12-17-2014 11:59 PM #2506
      I'm not claiming this is a good-looking example or anything special. It's clearly not. But at least I can say I no longer need a Miata, because I now have one.

      I've been wanting a RWD, cheap fun car to add to the stable. The Miata was one of the models on my list. I just scored what I consider a good deal on a 1999 base model with a manual trans.

      I don't dig the aftermarket wheels or poorly matched paint respray, but this car has very little of the normal Miata rust and hasn't had any ham-fisted mods performed on it. It will be a super-fun driver to tinker with. It's also not nice enough for me to be worry about the normal wear-and -tear that comes with a semi-beater fun car.

      I've already been tearing into it to fix several things and do some maintenance.

      Last edited by stephen9666; 12-18-2014 at 08:50 AM.

    8. Banned kwik!gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      8,743
      Cars
      EM1, EP3, NA6
      12-18-2014 07:49 AM #2507
      ^Looks like you found yourself the sweet spot. A clean (but not too clean) fun car to tinker with. Congrats and welcome to the club. They sure are fun.

    9. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      So many potholes
      Posts
      17,170
      Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      12-18-2014 09:38 AM #2508
      Quote Originally Posted by stephen9666 View Post
      I'm not claiming this is a good-looking example or anything special. It's clearly not. But at least I can say I no longer need a Miata, because I now have one.
      congrats!

      as some basic maintenance I'd check the shifter boots (beneath the center console), both are likely cracked and need replacement. i'd also look at the clutch slave cylinder to see if it's leaking (25 dollar fix), it's behind the right front wheel, you can easily see it if you pull the wheel off. make sure to properly lubricate the power antenna (which i don't think the base cars have, but i'd look into it just to be sure).
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    10. Banned kwik!gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      8,743
      Cars
      EM1, EP3, NA6
      12-18-2014 09:55 AM #2509
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      congrats!

      as some basic maintenance I'd check the shifter boots (beneath the center console), both are likely cracked and need replacement. i'd also look at the clutch slave cylinder to see if it's leaking (25 dollar fix), it's behind the right front wheel, you can easily see it if you pull the wheel off. make sure to properly lubricate the power antenna (which i don't think the base cars have, but i'd look into it just to be sure).
      Do a braided clutch line too while you're in there behind the wheel doing the slave.

    11. Member Hogan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2005
      Location
      Annandale, VA
      Posts
      3,276
      Cars
      1994 Mustang GT, 2015 GTI
      12-18-2014 10:29 AM #2510
      Quote Originally Posted by nemo1ner View Post
      Haven't gotten around to getting the undertray yet.

      So far, all that I can see is a dent in the bumper and scratches going up towards the hood from where her rear bumper went over. I also hear some type of clunking from the front passenger side suspension. May not be related.

      I was out during lunch and was almost hit in the parking lot. Car came burning in thinking that he had found a parking spot in the front row where I was parked in. I was in the car and heard some slight tire squeal. Looked up and there was a Ford Taurus nearly on top of my trunk.

      So far, there have were 4 occasions where people didn't see me, and have either hit or nearly hit me. And in a bright blue, straight piped car, it's not like I'm incon****inspicous, am I?
      This is precisely why I always park far back in the spot when I'm in the Miata or on the motorcycle. I'm always worried about this happening. Glad there wasn't any serious damage.
      2015 VW GTI/1994 Ford Mustang GT/2012 Honda Civic Si
      2009 Honda CBR600RR/2006 Honda VTX1800C/1974 Honda CB550

    12. Member landstuhltaylor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2011
      Location
      CBUS
      Posts
      1,499
      Cars
      15 1.0L Fiesta, 02 M3, SCCA ESP Camaro, 09 Speed Triple
      12-18-2014 10:40 AM #2511
      I had so many close calls in mine, the only thing preventing it from actually being hit was that I could usually squeeze past the *******. I just sold mine over the weekend for $1100 which I think was a fair price for it's condition. I might have been able to get $1500 in the summer but I didn't have space for it and just wanted the cash. Luckily it went to someone who wants to run it as an STS car and has plans of replacing the busted rear subframe and fixing the frame rail rust among other things.

      Someday I'll buy another NA in good condition.

    13. Member nemo1ner's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2004
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      9,306
      Cars
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      12-18-2014 01:55 PM #2512
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      This is precisely why I always park far back in the spot when I'm in the Miata or on the motorcycle. I'm always worried about this happening. Glad there wasn't any serious damage.
      Seriously. After driving this thing in a sea of large vehicles, I had to change my driving habits drastically. I now have to leave even more room between me and the car in front because I cannot see anything ahead. I also find myself "peeking" to see if a lane is clear. When passing, I try not to do it in the right lane, even when every car seems to occupy the left. Whenever i do pass, I have to do it as fast as possible.

      Most close calls have been with a car or SUV traveling in the left lane and changing to the right lane without seeing me.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

    14. Banned kwik!gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      8,743
      Cars
      EM1, EP3, NA6
      12-19-2014 10:30 AM #2513
      I approach drving a Miata (or any small car for that matter) in the same manner I did when I still rode motorcycles. Drive (and park) as if nobody can see you. Err on the side of precaution. Drive defensively. Make it a point to keep a buffer zone.....etc and so on and so forth.

    15. Member Claff's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Waldorf, MD
      Posts
      1,377
      Cars
      Five two-seat roadsters, a hatchback, and a big ass pickup truck
      12-19-2014 11:26 AM #2514
      My street driving has evolved into thinking that everyone is out to kill me. It's served me well.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

    16. Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      8,065
      Cars
      Golf 7 R, Ford Ranger, ND Miata
      12-19-2014 11:29 AM #2515
      "Drop It Like It's Hot" was so 10 years ago.


    17. Member Hogan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2005
      Location
      Annandale, VA
      Posts
      3,276
      Cars
      1994 Mustang GT, 2015 GTI
      12-19-2014 11:34 AM #2516
      Yeah, it's helpful since most of the time I'm either riding my motorcycle, or in my Miata, so that behavior gets ingrained pretty quickly haha. I definitely treat it the same way though. In fact, more people probably try to run me over in my Miata than on my motorcycle.

      Then again, my motorcycle has the same size engine as my Miata, so it's not exactly small haha.

      But Nemo, you might wanna start doing that. Just pull in to spots so your car more or less lines up with the cars at the back of the spot, rather than the front. I'm sure that's saved me from several crunched bumpers.
      2015 VW GTI/1994 Ford Mustang GT/2012 Honda Civic Si
      2009 Honda CBR600RR/2006 Honda VTX1800C/1974 Honda CB550

    18. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      NorCal/SoCal
      Posts
      2,240
      Cars
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      12-23-2014 03:05 PM #2517
      Take your pick



      188_v3_Med by MoPho, on Flickr

    19. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      23,932
      12-23-2014 03:16 PM #2518
      Cool picture.

    20. Banned kwik!gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      8,743
      Cars
      EM1, EP3, NA6
      12-23-2014 03:27 PM #2519

    21. Member cockerpunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Twin Cities MN
      Posts
      6,411
      Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      12-23-2014 05:24 PM #2520
      my winter miata blew a diff ... waiting on a new one

      back to winter mr2ing
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

    22. Member Hogan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2005
      Location
      Annandale, VA
      Posts
      3,276
      Cars
      1994 Mustang GT, 2015 GTI
      12-24-2014 01:20 PM #2521
      I, on the other hand, finally got mine running. It's been off the road for 11 months.

      I know it's a simple swap, if I had plenty of time to myself to get it done, I could probably wrap the whole thing up in a day, but I've only been able to mess with it for a few minutes at a time in between sourcing parts, and parting out/scrapping my parts car.

      But it's finally running, and I'm pretty exciting. Looking forward to driving it with the 1.8l swap.
      2015 VW GTI/1994 Ford Mustang GT/2012 Honda Civic Si
      2009 Honda CBR600RR/2006 Honda VTX1800C/1974 Honda CB550

    23. Member CaleDeRoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2011
      Location
      Rochester, NY
      Posts
      3,502
      Cars
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      12-24-2014 10:12 PM #2522
      Instagram: calederoo

      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    24. 12-31-2014 12:03 PM #2523


      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Modded = beat to ****
      Stock = driven by 87 year old grandmother
      Miss Daisy might not do all her own work and rub her car with a diaper, but she also wasn't a flatbrim bro who hoped boosted VTAK would make women jump into the car naked at 50mph.

    25. Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      8,065
      Cars
      Golf 7 R, Ford Ranger, ND Miata
      12-31-2014 01:39 PM #2524
      Here's a twofer:


    26. Member cockerpunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Twin Cities MN
      Posts
      6,411
      Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      12-31-2014 03:24 PM #2525
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      I, on the other hand, finally got mine running. It's been off the road for 11 months.

      I know it's a simple swap, if I had plenty of time to myself to get it done, I could probably wrap the whole thing up in a day, but I've only been able to mess with it for a few minutes at a time in between sourcing parts, and parting out/scrapping my parts car.

      But it's finally running, and I'm pretty exciting. Looking forward to driving it with the 1.8l swap.
      got mine running monday. nice to have the fleet back up and running:

      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

    Page 101 of 221 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •