Fourtitude.com - The Official Wagon (Avant, Touring, Estate, Variant, Grocery Shopper) thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast
    Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2149
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2008
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,563
      08-06-2019 04:47 PM #2001
      What a great color combo!
      If I'd have done more research I'd have grabbed one of those before getting my S6.
      Now after putting buckets of money into it, I'm not sure I'd want to get 0.50 on the dollar by selling it.
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Moderator rs4-380's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2000
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      24,795
      Cars
      VWs & Audis
      08-06-2019 05:51 PM #2002
      Quote Originally Posted by JMURiz View Post
      What a great color combo!
      If I'd have done more research I'd have grabbed one of those before getting my S6.
      Now after putting buckets of money into it, I'm not sure I'd want to get 0.50 on the dollar by selling it.
      I had a 200k mile c5 avant and the c6 brings alot more to the table. The 3.0t also feels faster (and probably actually IS faster) then a c5 s6 as well.

      I'm convinced (and haven't really been disproven as of yet) that pretty much all c5's are money pits at this point. They all had too many things they needed on a regular basis (control arms, gaskets, MFA screens, flex pipes, etc, etc) when they were young. Now that they are at least 15 years old and have usually gone through several owners they just constantly need stuff. Don't get me wrong, I still have a soft spot for them, but unless you spend multiples of what they are worth totally refreshing them they seem to always have a running list of things that need to be done to them.
      Dave

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2008
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,563
      08-07-2019 10:31 AM #2003
      I can't disagree with that. Bought it with all the maintenance 'done' by a reputable shop (receipts and all)....turned out that wasn't the case. So I got to actually do the timing belt/water pump, thermostat, bufkin pipe, new 2nd radiator, blahblahblah. So I'm probably 2x what I paid for it in repairs

      Sucks that it's so nice when running correctly, and the 3rd row seat is nice for picking up my daughters cousins etc.
      I need to free up some car-project space to get it in the garage before fall/winter!
      Last edited by JMURiz; 08-07-2019 at 01:53 PM.
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

    5. Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,602
      08-07-2019 01:20 PM #2004
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Thanks for the info! I was previously thinking about the A6 3.0T Avant, but they're exceedingly rare and they're all silver. I've also heard from a reputable indy mechanic friend that the 3.0T is great. Until it's not. Plus, I haven't seen Audi interiors (as lovely as they are) hold up in the long term, and wagons tend to take the most abuse.

      Good thought on the 530i, I'll have to drive one to see if it meets my wants/needs. Though it is likely to share the same sunroof drain issues, I suppose. Maybe I should just look toward a Mercedes. Its the less sporty option but there are more available and I can afford to be picky to find a really good one.

      I would get the C6 A6 Avant with 3.0T before I go the E61 with N52 non-turbo route. Audi 3.0T (the supercharged one) is a great engine. I had it in my Q5 and I prefer it to the newer 3.0T (the turbo charged one) in my SQ5. In the VW world, the 3.0 supercharged V6 is one of the least trouble prone engine in the last 2 decade or so.

      All E61 has the sunroof drain issue but like I said, it is not a problem as long as you do preventive maintenance to clear the drain regularly (or move to Los Angeles... ) The only mark against 530i is age... it is several years older than 535i but the upside (subjective I know) is 530i E61 came in RWD or AWD so you have a choice. 535i only came with AWD which in BMW world means they lack sports suspension... takes away from some of the handling advantage.

      E-class is the wagon to get if you are looking if you ask me... They are plentiful (compare to A6 or 5 series) as you noted but definitely not as sporty. Another thing to keep in mind... Audi and BMW stopped selling large wagons 2 generations ago so those cars are generally well used. Mercedes S212 are just entering their prime. And well cared for S211 are much easier to find than C6 or E61.


      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      Actually thinking about moving on from mine, 09 prestige with 97k. Things been rock solid. I've owned 2 3.0t's and if I replace this one it's going to be another 3.0t. If you (or anyone) is serious about a 3.0t avant pm me.
      Oh I wish you posted this before I got my Mercedes... jump on this geofftii2002!!!
      Last edited by bzcat; 08-07-2019 at 01:24 PM.

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2018
      Posts
      69
      Cars
      2015 Golf GTI + 2018 Golf AllTrack
      08-07-2019 05:17 PM #2005
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Thanks for bringing this thread back to my attention. I have begun the long and arduous daydreaming process about what to replace my Clubman with when the time comes (soon). I'm thinking of some sort of sporty Eurosnob wagon of because, especially since I've moved to St Louis, I carry my bike a lot more than I ever have. My road bike fits in the Mini with ease, but I don't see a 29er MTB squeezing back there. I prefer the security of having the bike inside, and I just like wagons.

      Going to peruse for inspiration. Currently leading the pack in my mind is an E61 535iT.

      Not to derail this thread, but I'm also in StL and am trying to get back into mtn biking. I have a Trek 8500 collecting dust in my basement at the moment. Haven't even tried to fit it in the AllTrack or GTI yet. Do you ride in Castlewood at all?

    7. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      15,175
      Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      08-07-2019 06:00 PM #2006
      Quote Originally Posted by Barrett56 View Post
      Not to derail this thread, but I'm also in StL and am trying to get back into mtn biking. I have a Trek 8500 collecting dust in my basement at the moment. Haven't even tried to fit it in the AllTrack or GTI yet. Do you ride in Castlewood at all?
      I recently sold my old mountain bike because it just didn't fit me well. That said, I am on the cusp of being in the market for a new one however my wife has been unemployed for 8 weeks since wrapping up her interim call. But now she's in interviews for a really great position SO... once she gets that wrapped up, I can get a new bike and get back in action.

      But yes, since coming to STL I've only ridden Castlewood. It's fabulous!

      A wagon would make life sooo much easier.


      The pendulum is swinging back in favor of a Mercedes. I think it would be easier to find a good, clean example that's not taking a step backward from my current car. I will continue changing my mind.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    8. Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,602
      08-07-2019 07:17 PM #2007
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

      The pendulum is swinging back in favor of a Mercedes. I think it would be easier to find a good, clean example that's not taking a step backward from my current car. I will continue changing my mind.
      Start here: https://www.mbusa.com/en/cpo/invento...lPreOwned=true

    9. Member DG7Projects's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2011
      Location
      Pothole, CA
      Posts
      2,203
      Cars
      B8.5 S4 Avant, F36 Gran Coupe, 8V S3 Sportback
      08-07-2019 09:35 PM #2008
      I am getting a 3.0 S4 conversion done as I type this. ETA is 6-8 weeks.

      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      Ponto, you need to be banned already. This **** just aint fair.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2008
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,563
      08-07-2019 09:39 PM #2009
      you’re living the dream
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2006
      Location
      Arden, NC
      Posts
      4,018
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      08-08-2019 06:48 AM #2010
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      I recently sold my old mountain bike because it just didn't fit me well. That said, I am on the cusp of being in the market for a new one however my wife has been unemployed for 8 weeks since wrapping up her interim call. But now she's in interviews for a really great position SO... once she gets that wrapped up, I can get a new bike and get back in action.

      But yes, since coming to STL I've only ridden Castlewood. It's fabulous!

      A wagon would make life sooo much easier.


      The pendulum is swinging back in favor of a Mercedes. I think it would be easier to find a good, clean example that's not taking a step backward from my current car. I will continue changing my mind.
      Honestly, I love wagons, but I have one and rarely put my mountain bike in the back. Road bike, sure. But the mountain bike is always so dirty and it gets an incredible amount of grit and dirt in the car.

      I got one of these a few years ago, and it’s been a game changer:



      The rack, I mean. I was always a roof rack guy and I thought they looked cool, but hitch racks are just so much better. Easier loading, better aero, no worries about low parking garages, and I also don’t worry about snapping my fork dropouts off when going around sharp turns at *ahem* spirited rates of speed.
      Last edited by mrothwell; 08-08-2019 at 07:49 AM.

    12. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      22,918
      Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      08-08-2019 07:17 AM #2011
      Friend of mine recently picked this up. Fair to say I am in love.


    13. Member n0rdicalex.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2007
      Posts
      15,959
      Cars
      S4, R32
      08-08-2019 08:40 AM #2012
      Quote Originally Posted by DG7Projects View Post
      I am getting a 3.0 S4 conversion done as I type this. ETA is 6-8 weeks.
      looking forward to seeing some after pics. are you doing the sport differential too?
      welcome to the layer cake

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2017
      Location
      Saskatchewan
      Posts
      699
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      08-08-2019 09:31 AM #2013
      Quote Originally Posted by Barrett56 View Post
      Not to derail this thread, but I'm also in StL and am trying to get back into mtn biking. I have a Trek 8500 collecting dust in my basement at the moment. Haven't even tried to fit it in the AllTrack or GTI yet. Do you ride in Castlewood at all?
      I'm not sure if it's a derail if you are talking about wagon's and bikes.

      In my Alltrack I can fit my size small Surly Moonlander fatbike (4.8" tires) in the back without removing a wheel. If that bike fits, most bikes will, though large frame size 29er's may need the front wheel off.

      I also have a two bike roof rack setup which is OK, but I try to avoid using it if I can. Fuel mileage blows with a bike or two up there and there is lots of wind noise. I'd consider adding a hitch but I'm not convinced I'll keep the car long term, Golf R's keep calling to me...

    15. Member Brandontrek1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2003
      Posts
      1,547
      Cars
      NC MX-5, E46 M3 x2, 2006 A4 Avant
      08-08-2019 10:26 AM #2014

      "I measure in Smiles per Gallon"---dc/dc

    16. Moderator rs4-380's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2000
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      24,795
      Cars
      VWs & Audis
      08-08-2019 10:46 AM #2015
      Quote Originally Posted by DG7Projects View Post
      I am getting a 3.0 S4 conversion done as I type this. ETA is 6-8 weeks.

      I’ve wanted to do this for a loooong time
      Dave

    17. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2018
      Posts
      69
      Cars
      2015 Golf GTI + 2018 Golf AllTrack
      08-08-2019 12:36 PM #2016
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      I'm not sure if it's a derail if you are talking about wagon's and bikes.

      In my Alltrack I can fit my size small Surly Moonlander fatbike (4.8" tires) in the back without removing a wheel. If that bike fits, most bikes will, though large frame size 29er's may need the front wheel off.

      I also have a two bike roof rack setup which is OK, but I try to avoid using it if I can. Fuel mileage blows with a bike or two up there and there is lots of wind noise. I'd consider adding a hitch but I'm not convinced I'll keep the car long term, Golf R's keep calling to me...
      Having two car seats really hurts the utility of the wagon for me as I can't easily fold down the rear seats to load a bike in w/o it being a hassle. If I start riding consistently, I'll probably invest in a hitch system or a roof rack.

    18. Member DG7Projects's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2011
      Location
      Pothole, CA
      Posts
      2,203
      Cars
      B8.5 S4 Avant, F36 Gran Coupe, 8V S3 Sportback
      08-08-2019 05:31 PM #2017
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      looking forward to seeing some after pics. are you doing the sport differential too?
      I'll be sure to post some up when it's done. Yes, I am. My only dilemma is either finding a black headliner or dyeing it. Oh, and what color to wrap the car after the conversion. I'm leaning towards a dark green.

      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      I’ve wanted to do this for a loooong time
      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      Ponto, you need to be banned already. This **** just aint fair.

    19. Member n0rdicalex.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2007
      Posts
      15,959
      Cars
      S4, R32
      08-08-2019 07:31 PM #2018
      Quote Originally Posted by DG7Projects View Post
      I'll be sure to post some up when it's done. Yes, I am. My only dilemma is either finding a black headliner or dyeing it. Oh, and what color to wrap the car after the conversion. I'm leaning towards a dark green.
      merlin purple.

      I often dream about ripping around in a merlin purple RS6 and even debated wrapping my old mk5 R32 in a similar color.

      welcome to the layer cake

    20. Member DG7Projects's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2011
      Location
      Pothole, CA
      Posts
      2,203
      Cars
      B8.5 S4 Avant, F36 Gran Coupe, 8V S3 Sportback
      08-08-2019 08:18 PM #2019
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      merlin purple.

      I often dream about ripping around in a merlin purple RS6 and even debated wrapping my old mk5 R32 in a similar color.


      That is a really nice color, but I'm not that brave. I may have to reconsider green and look at swatches again.
      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      Ponto, you need to be banned already. This **** just aint fair.

    21. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      15,175
      Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      08-08-2019 10:06 PM #2020
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Honestly, I love wagons, but I have one and rarely put my mountain bike in the back. Road bike, sure. But the mountain bike is always so dirty and it gets an incredible amount of grit and dirt in the car.

      I got one of these a few years ago, and it’s been a game changer:



      The rack, I mean. I was always a roof rack guy and I thought they looked cool, but hitch racks are just so much better. Easier loading, better aero, no worries about low parking garages, and I also don’t worry about snapping my fork dropouts off when going around sharp turns at *ahem* spirited rates of speed.

      All valid points! I do have a few hesitations about the hitch rack:

      I live in St. Louis and I really don't want to turn my beautiful next bike into a bumper. People here are HORRIBLE drivers and I simply don't trust someone not running into my bike.

      I live in St. Louis and my bike would disappear in about 30 seconds from hitch rack.

      Mud is not much of a concern, as when it rains here, local etiquette dictates that trails are closed, so I'll hit the road instead

      I don't really parking garage very much...and when I've had roof racks I've never once forgotten a bike is on the roof. That's like leaving your baby in the back of a hot car!



      A buddy of mine has a Kia Stinger GT (which he LOVES) and that sucker swallows his Kona 29er with no problem whatsoever. It makes me jealous but I won't buy a Stinger because I work with him every day and that's like ordering the same thing as the person next to you in a fancy restaurant. So I must wagon.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2008
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,563
      08-08-2019 10:16 PM #2021
      Quote Originally Posted by DG7Projects View Post
      That is a really nice color, but I'm not that brave. I may have to reconsider green and look at swatches again.
      That purple is cool, if you’re looking at greens, maybe look at B5 cactus green. I had it on my A4 and it looked amazing when clean.
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip - RIP taken out by a tree 19.5 after buying

    23. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      15,175
      Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      08-09-2019 10:50 AM #2022
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

      Troublemaker!

      I found this and thank God its out of my current price range, at least until after we buy a house.

      https://www.mbmanhattan.com/inventor...hh8jb6gb329803

      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    24. Member n0rdicalex.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2007
      Posts
      15,959
      Cars
      S4, R32
      08-09-2019 11:51 AM #2023
      it definitely looks like a nice car, but the shape of those front seats look so unappealing.
      welcome to the layer cake

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2000
      Posts
      11,004
      Cars
      20 Telluride SX, 17 CX-5 GT, 07 Airstream
      08-09-2019 01:05 PM #2024
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Troublemaker!

      I found this and thank God its out of my current price range, at least until after we buy a house.

      https://www.mbmanhattan.com/inventor...hh8jb6gb329803

      LOL! I was admiring the very same car online today. I admit, I'd probably go F31 or A4 allroad (I can utilize the smaller dimensions) instead, but damn - the E350 looks great in red.

      Tom

    26. Member dubsteez79's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2014
      Location
      Star, NC
      Posts
      369
      Cars
      84 GTI, 81 caddy, 55 chevy truck, 74 Beetle, 01 mustang, 70 Corona MK2, 07 Outback, 77 Z28
      08-09-2019 02:08 PM #2025
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      OMG yes! Im a sucker for poo brown, wagons, ls' and chevelles. While many of the chevelle wagons are prettier, I would have this over most as its just wonderfully odd.
      Spiral Innovations 336-937-5181
      Contact me for custom metal component needs.
      I offer CNC plasma cutting, sheetmetal fabrication and general design and fabrication services.

    Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •