VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My N/A Build--Finally Started thread!

128K views 168 replies 46 participants last post by  fourthchirpin 
#1 · (Edited)
First I would like to thank these people that helped me through it all to make it to this point.

Jerome Foster- you was there every step of the way from day one bro with advice/motivation/knowledge/manhours lol
Janhoi - another one that has been there from the start that all nighter with the welder was memorable.
Gino @ Evolution Racing Engines - machining/building/guidance/knowledge - http://www.evolutionracingengines.com/
Paul (need_a_vr6) @ KPTuned - for 24/7 tech-support and many more. http://kptuned.com/
Chris Palumbo (XXX007XXX) - for much help with the car, support!
Ed @ Force Fed Engineering - support, fabrication/welding! - http://www.fferacing.com/
Swoops - fabrication/welding
DJ - for his multiple Rx7 runs ;), suppport from day one as well.
Brian Daponte - his spare 24v for mockup of 02m mounts
Rhussjr & Issam Abed - assisting me with pistons.
Weasel410 - for designing of the pistons
Shawn Dezego - 02m Mounts
Mark @ Falcon Clutches - http://www.falconauto.com/

Here are the highlights: As the full build is on my page here where you will see the start up video at the end enjoy everyone!

--> http://seansal.info/fourthchirpin.php

See less See more
#3 ·
specs:

Engine-

85mm 13:1 Pistons
Bildon Rev-Lite Rods
Crank crapper
Port Polish (multi valve job on the 5intake/3exhaust)
Supertech springs/retainers
Schrick 272 Cams
Ferrea lifter shims
ARP main studs

Transmission-

02M with a diff
upgraded shift forks

Clutch-

Modified Stock R32 pressure plate

12lb r32 Flywheel

Bolt-on's-

Q45 throttle body
HPA CVP short runner
Stock Ported Exhaust manifolds
TT Downpipe
DSS stage 3 02M swap axles

Management -

Megasquirt -MS3X/3.57 thanks to paul.

#6 ·
V8 vw/audi tb is drive by wire I believe, and the q45 was what I had at the time and a flange was readily available as well, not to mention it is 84mm.

The downpipe is TT as in Technonics Tuning

Problem I ran into this week.

1. rear main seal appears to be leaking

so while I have the transmission off I will open the transmission back up to do some things I wanted to do in there!

2. with the car down I might possibly make a header

#15 ·
Not my problem. My problem is a constant grinding at idle and after its in gear and i let off the clutch it continues to grind, but there is no grinding into gear. Its almost like the disk or pressure plate has cracked or something.

#18 · (Edited)
I havn't been to the dyno. but my goal is for 300.

Right now I have the car down fixing a leak and redo something in my transmission, will update the firmware in the megasquirt.

also I will try to get better suspension since the one thats on the shell is blown.

right now school is in full effect so its hard to get time to work on the car so bear with me. But ill answer any questions you have keep them coming! :thumbup:

#19 ·
All that for 300?

You could have boosted a 12V instead, made much more power, and enjoyed actually racing the car over the past 5 years instead of just running your mouth to people that actually post time slips.

The years roll by and you still haven't made a pass.:laugh:

reasons I didn't build a 12v turbo.

1. i dont believe in having a turbo 6cyl powering the 2 front wheels it is a poor way to make a car fast. (I prefer rwd for that combo)
2. My next door neighbor/child hood friend has a 2.9 fully built vr turbo jetta that has dyno'ed 600whp already. I help him plenty of times with the car why should I build a similar car.

Iam sorry I didn't built the car in a shorter time frame but being that I couldn't find a full time job and then returning back to school had a huge effect on the project. but at the end of the day i didn't build it for you or anybody else. I built it to hopefully run it in the 11.5 index for Charity.

Charity I mean organization(s) that help out in the community locally.

#22 ·
reasons I didn't build a 12v turbo.
i dont believe in having a turbo 6cyl powering the 2 front wheels it is a poor way to make a car fast. (I prefer rwd for that combo)
This^ I agree 100% I'd much rather have a powerful na motor than fi. I don't get why people are coming in here and not being impressed with 300whp. I would muuuch rather have 300 na whp than 300 boosted hp. Great build! Looking forward to some runs :thumbup:

#20 ·
That was touching. I built a bolt-on VRT while working full time and getting a Bachelors degree at night. Posting time slips all along the way while e-thug trolls like you ran your mouth in my threads. Glad to see you having issues:)

thanks for the hate. but my previous post boiled down to 1 point:

300whp all motor is faster then 300whp on FI. in the 1/4 mile for a couple of factors.

this whole build has nothing to do with you. Its funny, the younger me would just call you out. But honestly this car has a different purpose. thank you for stopping by though with the hate. it doesn't phase me.

iam not here to argue with you this is a build thread. take care

#30 ·
dont have much of a update but I got KW V1 suspension for the car and I changed the rear main seal since it started leaking. :thumbup:

list of things to do before the 2012:

install suspension
change ignition switch
put back tranny once I receive some parts for it. (est. late - NOV)
update the firmware in the MS3X.
install an iac to get the car to idle smoothly.
a header.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.