VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My N/A Build--Finally Started thread!

128K views 168 replies 46 participants last post by  fourthchirpin 
#1 · (Edited)
First I would like to thank these people that helped me through it all to make it to this point.

Jerome Foster- you was there every step of the way from day one bro with advice/motivation/knowledge/manhours lol
Janhoi - another one that has been there from the start that all nighter with the welder was memorable.
Gino @ Evolution Racing Engines - machining/building/guidance/knowledge - http://www.evolutionracingengines.com/
Paul (need_a_vr6) @ KPTuned - for 24/7 tech-support and many more. http://kptuned.com/
Chris Palumbo (XXX007XXX) - for much help with the car, support!
Ed @ Force Fed Engineering - support, fabrication/welding! - http://www.fferacing.com/
Swoops - fabrication/welding
DJ - for his multiple Rx7 runs ;), suppport from day one as well.
Brian Daponte - his spare 24v for mockup of 02m mounts
Rhussjr & Issam Abed - assisting me with pistons.
Weasel410 - for designing of the pistons
Shawn Dezego - 02m Mounts
Mark @ Falcon Clutches - http://www.falconauto.com/

Here are the highlights: As the full build is on my page here where you will see the start up video at the end enjoy everyone!

--> http://seansal.info/fourthchirpin.php

See less See more
#67 · (Edited)

tomorrow If it doesn't rain I will add some coolant, and attempt to start it back up 2nd time since Aug. a recap of what went down since then.

1. header/megaphone
2. transmission work
3. new crank seal that was leaking at startup in aug.
4. added an iac.

#70 · (Edited)
drove the car last night around the block. super loud, gotta get some small loose ends.

head light bulbs, screws for the bumper, some exhaust work to connect to the muffler, and a Driver side mk3 seat (for now)

until then I will try to see if I can register/insure the car. Iam going to Toronto next month so Ive been saving up for that.

should be a fun summer!

Thanks to you guys for your questions. keep them coming. Iam really trying to organize something like if you guys come to Wterfest bring some sort of non-perishable goods so I can take back to donate to a local food pantry. I really would like any sort of input about it, iam not 100% how to go about it but thats just one thing I would like to do right now.

#71 ·
Are you trying to get the food pantry to donate or pay for something for you in return of you getting food for them?

My best advice would be to talk to an in charge person at the pantry. An office manager could get you in touch with someone if they can't make the call on this themselves. Just be up front with them and what you would like to do. Non-profits, assuming this is one, like to get any help they can get. Just be nice and I think they would like your idea. I work with non-profits in my line of work and the worst they can say is no. I doubt they will say that. I would also be prepared for a type of counter offer to yours as well, just in case. They might not be able to give you exactly what you are asking for but would still like to help.
On the waterfest side of things talk to the race organizor or a contact for the show to get the word out as much as possible. If there is an announcer for the race get them to talk about your donation. I would bring empty boxes for people to put their donations in. The pantry actually might have these to give you.

Hope this helps. I wanted to say something because I think it is very nice of you to want to do this.

#72 ·
I dont want ANYTHING IN RETURN. lets just get this clear right away.
I feel there is a need in my community/state for the need to help out. Alot of people are going through things, health issues, financial issues, marriage problems etc. I think food is easy and helpful to start off.

Once the car is tuned and ready for a pass I would like to talk to someone in charge of events at waterfest. Not sure if its too short of notice since waterfest is next month. But there are other events this year as well. :thumbup:

#77 ·
I dont want ANYTHING IN RETURN. lets just get this clear right away.
I feel there is a need in my community/state for the need to help out. Alot of people are going through things, health issues, financial issues, marriage problems etc. I think food is easy and helpful to start off.

Once the car is tuned and ready for a pass I would like to talk to someone in charge of events at waterfest. Not sure if its too short of notice since waterfest is next month. But there are other events this year as well. :thumbup:
Even better....good luck. Very nice of you as well. :thumbup:

#81 ·
hey guys just a small update not too big. was driving around doing Logs, car felt really good, with super safe a/f ratios. But I think It might have spun a bearing. it starting tapping a few blocks on the way to the house. As a whole iam not disappointed at all all this is very fun to me it might be alil frustrating but its not since I have so many other things ive been busy with and an awesome daily driver that I dont deserve.

Baseball camp was great this week and the kids were awesome, took a road trip to Canada/Niagra Falls for 4th of July for vacation. The summer has been very good, truely blessed to have been able to do and see what ive been able to.

Im in the process of getting a new garage door so once that is done maybe ill inspect further. Iam not sure what ill do next.

sorry for the personal life stuff but Im just trying to be as transparent as possible with who ever is following. That these things does happen but it could have been worst.

any questions just shoot here or in PM's. Have a good rest of the summer everyone! :thumbup:

#83 ·
hahah from now to sunday. thats impossible for me. and my one man crew. If I would have known u was going to be there I would have been extra careful this week. I might try something out but I had no plans to go to waterfest with the car. ill be at waterfest though.

#87 ·
I figure I post what was the noise and the issues I had. For anyone who had a similar noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9qmg8T7R4&feature=share&list=UU-1Gl6N-G4GXngGuXWkhEQg

this was the noise.

I first changed checked the

bearings ... good
changed the lifters .... noise came back
tentioner bolt .... noise came back
bought a oil pump

then I went to change it and my wrist pin clip was in the oil pan.
From that point I knew it could be bad.

damaged cylinder wall.

so as of right now this project is dead. Its been real fun over the years guys hope this helps anyone. Iam fully certain if this didn't happen the car was on its way to put down 300+whp. If anybody has questions feel free to pm me. Take care everyone.

God is still Good. Happy Good Friday everyone.

#90 ·
Nothing was a weak link. The only way the wrist pin clip can come out is if it wasnt installed properly meaning it wasnt seated in the groove. The wrist pin clips are very hard to come out once they are in. And even when the clip was out the wrist pin too is very tight in the piston.

John 3:16

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.