VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My N/A Build--Finally Started thread!

127K views 168 replies 46 participants last post by  fourthchirpin 
#1 · (Edited)
First I would like to thank these people that helped me through it all to make it to this point.

Jerome Foster- you was there every step of the way from day one bro with advice/motivation/knowledge/manhours lol
Janhoi - another one that has been there from the start that all nighter with the welder was memorable.
Gino @ Evolution Racing Engines - machining/building/guidance/knowledge - http://www.evolutionracingengines.com/
Paul (need_a_vr6) @ KPTuned - for 24/7 tech-support and many more. http://kptuned.com/
Chris Palumbo (XXX007XXX) - for much help with the car, support!
Ed @ Force Fed Engineering - support, fabrication/welding! - http://www.fferacing.com/
Swoops - fabrication/welding
DJ - for his multiple Rx7 runs ;), suppport from day one as well.
Brian Daponte - his spare 24v for mockup of 02m mounts
Rhussjr & Issam Abed - assisting me with pistons.
Weasel410 - for designing of the pistons
Shawn Dezego - 02m Mounts
Mark @ Falcon Clutches - http://www.falconauto.com/

Here are the highlights: As the full build is on my page here where you will see the start up video at the end enjoy everyone!

--> http://seansal.info/fourthchirpin.php

See less See more
#131 ·
Just a block and a head is around $3k for a low mileage one. Lots have damage to the intake manifold and hpfp assemblies if in a front ender. You will also need all the wiring, mk5 r32 downpipes, pedal, immo and abs deletes in the ecu... probably more I am forgetting.

#133 · (Edited)
Finally got some more parts to put in. Between last update and now.

While on the dyno I had issues of my clutch line popping off and clutch pedal falling to the floor on Full throttle that has been ever since I had this car. So i dropped tranny after i was getting noise coming from the clutch after the clutch line came off. I discovered that a few transmission bolts that hold the tranny to the block were missing and the pp was rubbing the transmission casing. So I had to get a new pp, fix the flywheel dowl pins, I opened the tranny to put back the original ring and pinions. And bought a brand new clutch master cylinder.

newc clutch master cylinder
CM 02M Slave cylinder
CM FX500 clutch kit
16 lb Flywheel
New rear skinnies.

So hopefully finally ill have no more issues with my clutch after all this. Stay tuned Im really trying to make it to waterfest in a few weeks! Enjoy everyone.

#135 ·
update:

clutch master slave cylinder was .200inch too big, they sent me an updated version that was smaller. I will be putting that in this month. Hoping I can finally solve my clutch issues finally.

#138 · (Edited)
Hey guys sorry that I havn't been updating this. During the spring clutch masters slave wasn't working with me so I went to OEM slave.

Back in May, my axle popped out of its cv. In July I sent it to drive shaft shop. I was able to measure some things for them and they told me 1 side was too short. So they made the shaft longer for me 1/2" longer. Right now the car is back together. It feels good its supper loud. Brake scatter shield is rubbing and I need a bolt for my rear motor mount that I lost. Ill have both of those things completed by sunday. Maybe Ill make a video. the car is supper dirty inside well see. So far from driving it I havn't gotten that clutch pedal drop at all yet so Im happy about that. only issue is I have a leaky oil pan which I have a replacement already.

#140 ·
Def. sikk! No updates from me really. Seems that my clutch issue is 100% fixed. My DBW pedal keeps going dead at random usually during stop and go driving. I have a few ideas that I will try during the winter.

#147 · (Edited)

car is back home. my accelerator pedal keeps going out, only at idle randomly. Car drives fine, feels strong. I really want to dyno asap. I probably wont do anything until May or June like hit the track.

#149 · (Edited)

2015 setup

2018 Swoops Built Short runner

dyno on the new setup.

pedal went out once on the dyno at the end. but it was fine while driving that day. I forgot to delete my 12 codes I had prior to the dyno not sure if that mattered or not. I will be running through the car looking for any issues as I dont have anything planned for right now. I would like standalone next to run it on corn or maybe loose some more weight by waterfest

#155 · (Edited)

Update:

finally got to get a decent run with the car. car felt really good. managed a 12.8 @ 107.71. Thought MPH would be higher but all is well, slave cylinder died on before my 2nd run. Got a few things to look over in the mean time.

But thanks to Paul (needavr6) for the help.

#159 ·
updated some of the dead pictures earlier in the thread, no new updates other than I havn't touched it since WF. Things I have to do this winter is change my slave cylinder, It crapped out mid way into my first run. But was able to get me back to the pits. Other than that I have a few upgrades coming. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.