Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2008 Jetta SEL
      06-29-2011 11:19 PM #1
      So, I have been talking to the salesperson at my local Audi dealer and he was kind enough to e-mail an order guide for the 2012 A6. It only lists one transmission available, along with one engine option, and only Quattro. You can get the 3.0 engine with the 8 speed Titronic. I guess what I am wondering is why is this market (the US) only getting the 8 speed Tiptronic, when I have seen this car elsewhere being available with the 7 speed S Tronic (dual clutch - DSG) with the same engine and drivetrain. No 8 speed Tiptronic anywhere to be found.

So, once again, the US doesn't get S Tronic? What is going on?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      13 Audi S6 4.0 TFSI
      06-30-2011 10:31 PM #2
      It's true. In North America if you want quattro all wheel drive, the 2012 C7 A6 will only be available with the 8 speed Tiptronic transmission. It is only offered with the 3.0 litre supercharged V6 engine in this combination. The car is also available in the US with FrontTrak front-wheel drive and the multitronic CVT transmission mated to the 2.0T motor. There is also speculation that the 2.0 TDI engine will also follow in 18-24 months time.
      Tony Smith
      Regina, Canada

Back in a C7!

4. Member
      Cars
      2008 Jetta SEL
      07-01-2011 12:10 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Regina_TT View Post
      It's true. In North America if you want quattro all wheel drive, the 2012 C7 A6 will only be available with the 8 speed Tiptronic transmission. It is only offered with the 3.0 litre supercharged V6 engine in this combination. The car is also available in the US with FrontTrak front-wheel drive and the multitronic CVT transmission mated to the 2.0T motor. There is also speculation that the 2.0 TDI engine will also follow in 18-24 months time.
      So the car is made on the same assembly line in Germany, and they decide to give us the 8 speed Tiptronic, yet not offer that same transmission on cars in their home country????

Plus, we can't even get the 7 speed S Tronic from the same assembly line, with the same engine???? Double

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Transit 350 EcoBoost, 2016 GLC300
      07-02-2011 02:46 AM #4
      To borrow a Geico slogan, have you been living under a rock for the past 10 years?

AoA imports a limited selection of models and configurations to the US, the ones with the lowest common denominator like the 8-speed Tip and 3.0T. They deemed the S-tronic as too sporty, i.e. doesn't shift smooth enough for American tastes. Granted the 8-speed Tip in the A6 and A7 is probably the best torque converter auto I've driven, but shifts are not as quick as the S tronic.

The 2.0T will be here soon, and next year expect the 2.0T hybrid, 3.0TDI, and 4.0T (in S6 form) to arrive. The S6 will likely get the 7-speed S Tronic, ala S4.

7. Member
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      07-11-2011 10:49 AM #5
      Hi Greg,

The 8-speed Tiptronic is a US-spec thing and, to my knowledge, is not available in Europe. I just spent a week in an A8 4.2 with this tranny and it's actually quite likeable for an automatic - fast shifts in manual mode, smooth Bentley-like shifts in auto, fuel efficient, etc. I've spent time in S-tronic Euro-spec A7s and actually don't like the transmission as much. On a track S-tronic is VERY, VERY cool but it's a bit glitchy for most US consumers and so they've kept it only on sport models like the S4. I'd expect the S6 may also have an S-tronic for this reason.

In regards to the A6, a 2.0T Front Trak is coming as is a 3.0 TDI quattro but I expect both of these will also be 8-speed Tiptronic.