VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1985 Color question

36K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  RunDub 
#1 ·
I have looked for some time on production numbers per color, with no avail. Does anyone have any pointers to find color UrQ production numbers? US based?

#2 · (Edited)
No, sorry.
I would LOVE this info, but probably even Audi has no clue anymore.

Some colours are more-are than others, depending on model year.

I'll check with Bill Bremer, he runs the urq registry.
With his info, at least we can say how many of each colour/year are accounted for!

I see you have an '85!
Details please!

#4 ·
No, sorry.
I would LOVE this info, but probably even Audi has no clue anymore.

Some colours are more-are than others, depending on model year.

I'll check with Bill Bremmer, he runs the urq registry.
With his info, at least we can say how many of each colour/year are accounted for!

I see you have an '85!
Details please!
I just picked it up two days ago. It was garaged since 98. 117 on the dial. Blew the timing belt then parked. Going to jank the head off this weekend. Was purchased from the org. owner. you can view pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63308757@N07/

#3 · (Edited)
Here's a list of the colours for N. American '85's...

1985 – USA – VIN 85F 900001 -> 85F 901500
Alpine White, L90E, P1
Amazon Blue Metallic, LY5Y, L6
Graphite Metallic (grey), LB7V, W9
Lhasa Metallic (Green), LA6V, W1
Oceanic Blue Metallic, LY6V, L7
Sapphire Metallic, LY5V, L5
Stone Grey Metallic, LY7U, U8
Titian Red Metallic, LB3V, W4
Tornado Red, LY3D, G2
Zermatt Silver Metallic, LY7Y, L1

I've never seen (on a US '85 car) Sapphire Metallic, Oceanic Blue, or Lhasa Metallic....I would rate them as the most-rare...along with a runner up of Amazon. I've seen only one.

#5 ·
Wow!
Is that in Lhasa green? I cannot tell in the pics. It still bares the very rare headlights.

here's what Bill was kind enough to pass along on his documentation of the '85's.

Graphite (B7V): 12
Amazon Blue (Y5Y): 4
Stone Gray (Y7U): 5
Alpine White (90E): 10
Tornado Red (Y3D): 17
Titian Red (B3V): 9
Helios Blue (A5T): 2
Zermatt Silver (Y7Y): 7
Montego Black (Y9Y): 2

#6 ·
it is green, which is why I was asking. I cant even find a good example of lhasas metallic to gauge against.

any info you could help me find would be great! or at least a starting point for me to research even more... Thank you so much for the information you provided already

#15 ·
Yeah, the WX is an interface engine, but sometimes the engine is alright if you're not hauling ass when it breaks.
At idle, (and if you don't try to re-start it) usually you're OK.

That is great news!!!
Congrats!

#31 ·
That is soo very awesome, it nearly brings tears to my eyes.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#34 ·
My old 83 Rally car was Lhasa Green. I bought the car from a guy who painted it red. Then I painted it white.. Not until it met its demise into a tree during a race and I bought it back years later did I see it was green.. I kept the original paint code decal , vin tags and title...

#36 · (Edited)
About 15 years ago I sold my Lhasa Green ‘84. I still regret doing so.

Here it is at Maine Forest Pro Rally back in 2003 (I think?) the year I crewed for some guys in an open class Galant VR4. Not the best photo, as it’s a phone pic of a print, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.