Fourtitude.com - Deep Thoughts - That stanced big rig....
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Member
      05-06-2011 05:00 PM #1
      I consider myself a hardcore driving enthusiast. When it comes to my car I am willing to tolerate more than just about anybody in the name of performance and driving enjoyment. Function over form is taken to an extreme in the pursuit of performance. My daily driver and only car is extreme to the point that people around me classify it as a racecar. I only say this because I fall into the category I'm about to describe:

I browse through TCL almost daily and see threads upon threads of bickering and one upping and arguing over why x is better than y or why z is stupid because he did so and so and one fact is becoming more and more clear.

The automotive scene in general is a tiny minority out of the general population. The fact is all forms of car enthusiasts are "weird". I don't mean weird in a bad way, what I mean is the "weirdness" is what makes the automotive scene diverse and exciting.

Here is my definition of car enthusiast from an "outsiders" view

One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Some of us like the sounds, the smells, the textures and the style. Some enjoy the pleasant emotions involved with travelling in a car: freedom, power, and always an opportunity for adventure. Others like the physical sensation of driving; the G-forces, the vibrations, and the feeling of being one with a machine. Still others are into the art of creating, the metalwork, engine building, fabrication and painting. Some are happy never to drive the object of their attention just building it/owning it/looking at it is all they need.

No one way is correct, and the diversity of appreciation for all facets of "The Car" are as varied as the tastes of individuals. We all appreciate different aspects of "The Car" in our own way and with the skills, budgets, creativity, and passion that is available to us.

This method of thought has opened my eyes and my mind to appreciate things from perspectives I never considered before. Instead of seeing a bagged/stance big rig being "stupid because its too low to drive" I think about it from the perspective of the builder and instead see a piece of mechanical art that an inordinate number of highly skilled man-hours went into.

Will HIS truck beat MY car around a racetrack? Will it still haul a trailer across the country? Should it be lower?
      Who cares?
      If everybody liked the same things the same way what a boring world this would be.

I think that is perspective we can all drink to

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-06-2011 05:05 PM #2
      That is an awesome big rig

Let's see it do-rift-o.

Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

Cars
      R53 BRG MCS JCW
      05-06-2011 05:47 PM #3
      OP, I totally see what you mean. You can be an enthusiast over anything. Good post.

5. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i 80 D150 SWB
      05-06-2011 06:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      You can be an enthusiast over anything.
      Sure this is true.

What I don't understand is why something can't be discussed both positively and negatively.

This is a discussion forum, isn't the point to have discussions?

Cars
      92 16v, 95 M3
      05-06-2011 06:03 PM #5
      Deep man and very true. I think very much the same, i think we all express something with our cars. We are all enjoying the same thing in our own way and you can be wrong about that, we all like and dislikes. People who like to tell you that your wrong or not doing it right usually have that problem with in themselves. Not saying all criticisms bad though. I don't see why there is a reason to hate any car, it has 4 wheels and an engine, yay!

Cars
      '81 Rabbit 1.6l diesel
      05-06-2011 06:13 PM #6
      Thanks for this insight. I'm hoping TCL may finally be able to pull their heads out of their ass by the number of "stance" threads i've been seeing lately, and how unexpectedly well they have been going.

People doing what they enjoy despite the people laughing in their faces = my respect.

Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      05-06-2011 06:16 PM #7
      Now I have something worth sigging. thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Cars
      2014 Ford Fusion
      05-06-2011 06:18 PM #8
      to you good sir.

This should be a sticky.

Cars
      2002 SVT Focus, 2000 Focus ZX3, 1966 Cortina, 1987 Dodge Charger, 1998 Tacoma, 1983 Plymouth Scamp
      05-06-2011 06:22 PM #9
      Excellent post.

Now I'll quote it elsewhere and take credit for it.

....kidding on that.

05-06-2011 06:28 PM #10
      This is pretty much how I feel. I see the good in most cars and while some modified cars might not suit my taste, I always have an appreciation for the hard work, money, sweat, time, tears, talent and love that went into the build.

Good post OP, I'll drink to that!

Cars
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1995 Camaro Z28
      05-06-2011 06:38 PM #11
      Agreed. We all like what we like, even when it defies all rational explanation.

Cars
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      05-06-2011 06:54 PM #12
      More and more I'm discovering I'm not a car enthusiast. I'm a sports car enthusiast. So yeah, a slammed big rig does nothing for me except represent money and effort that could be expended upon a sports car.

Cars
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      05-06-2011 06:54 PM #13
      I really wish 90% of the guys on this forum actually read this and lived by it. Although all the really biased opinions make for some great debates and good entertainment, some guys just take it too far.

15. Member
      05-06-2011 07:45 PM #14
      As an enthusiast and builder of mutant freaks of mechanics I tend to agree except that I still have to look upon some fads/fashions as absolutely stupid, I wont name my personal dislikes here to avoid flame wars but things which serve no purpose either in form or function...well...I dont get. I can appreciate alot of styles, my racing buddies dont understand how I can love a good old school low rider. My classic car buddies may not understand my love for a good offroad mudder. But I rarely find something I cant find some appreciation in.

I tend to specialize in working with cars people think are hopeless and finding new limits for them, it drives me.

I appreciate people like Mr Stack there who are willing to admit they are limited in their enthusiasm. Its ok. I'd rather get into a conversation with someone who upfront tells me they are a sports car enthusiast and I will limit my range in the convo. I get guys at work who claim to be "car guys" who need to ask me advice on how to change their oil....ugh. Everyone has different levels of enthusiasm and input. With the nature of the frankenbeasts I build I have found the small group of like minded grassroots engineers who do the same thing and if I spend too much time with them I forget that an "enthusiast" may see a CAI as a major modification, whereas I tend to look at anything with its stock motor as weaksauce. Everyone has their limits and I just try to appreciate each "genre" for what it is and take the commentary of "enthusiasts" with a grain of salt.

Cars
      01silverado 02 Sporty
      05-06-2011 08:01 PM #15
      honestly the op has one of the best statements i have ever heard/ read on this website. thanks for reminding me that there are still people out there who think the same way i do. a to you sir

05-06-2011 08:11 PM #16
      Stanced isn't even a word.

05-06-2011 08:19 PM #17
      All I know is that is hands down the best truck ever.

Cars
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      05-06-2011 08:24 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Stanced isn't even a word.
      good job, guy that missed the whole point.
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

20. Banned
      05-06-2011 08:27 PM #19
      Was worth the click.

Too bad no mad tyte camber y0...

Cars
      Satin Silver Turbo Vespa, Candy White 4 Door Whore
      05-06-2011 09:50 PM #20
      Dude that is awesome...would totally drive that.
      www.oeperftuning.com
      Eurodyne Software
      PAG parts turbo kits
      42DD Exhaust systems

Cars
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      05-06-2011 09:54 PM #21
      OP, I like the way you think.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

Cars
      '06 Tiburon SE V6, 6spd
      05-06-2011 10:05 PM #22
      Agreed, awesome point. I've found myself saying pretty similar stuff on here more and more often. I mean sure everyone has their likes and dislikes and if something isn't your taste then that shouldn't be a problem with anyone else. To me there is a world of difference between liking and appreciating something, you don't have to like a particular trend or style or kind of car in order to appreciate it. For example in the "Honda and Toyota" thread I tried to point out that you can appreciate all different kinds of cars without having to be a fanboi or even really like the thing. I'm personally not a fan of Honda but I've driven a few of them and while I don't like the overall execution I appreciate how much fun it is to drive a tossable car that you can wind out to 9k all day long.

My import fanboi buddies don't understand my obsession with Corvettes, they would personally never drive one but they definitely appreciate what I see in them. To me being an automotive enthusiast as opposed to a euro-enthusiast or muscle-enthusiast is all about the attitude and being able to see what's cool about a certain automotive niche even if it doesn't appeal to you instead of writing stuff off and calling it stupid.
      Quote Originally Posted by a3lad View Post
      the mods aborted the thread and now who knows what that thread might have turn out to be... maybe one day it wouldve cured cancer.

Cars
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      05-06-2011 10:40 PM #23
      Not a wiser word has been spoken in this forum.
      flickr | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      BMW made the decision to chase tuhao money with questionable aesthetic and it can't expect more sophisticated markets to go along with the crassness of its current batsh1t crazy design.

Cars
      metropass
      05-06-2011 10:43 PM #24
      Seriously... nobody?

05-06-2011 10:43 PM #25
      I feel the same way. Thanks for sharing that with us
      Sega|Saturn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast