Fourtitude.com - I want to play my non-iPod MP3 in my new Q5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 02-27-2011 05:13 PM #1
      My Q5 came with a USB cable inserted in a glove compartment port to be connected to an iPod. Is there an adaptor or connector I can use with this USB to play my Zen MP3s? I know there are several complete converter kits which interface with car audios but I want a simpler solution. I've done a few searches for adaptors with no luck. Apparently earlier years had an AUX input, not this year. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Audi Q5 2.0TDI (170bhp) S-tronic, 2011
      02-28-2011 05:04 AM #2
      If you have USB cable in glove compartment it is very high chance that you have AMI installed. That means that you should be able just to swap AMI cable to play from ordinary MP3 player via AUX connector. You can get such cable from Audi and, of course, it is quite expensive... Not sure about all AMI available connections, but if there is no AMI then you should have standard AUX connection on the side of armrest compartment (somehow opposite side to 12V socket).
      There are also some aftermarket solution that allows you to play music over FM. Not the same quality as direct connection, but cheap and universal. You connect some sort of dongle to AUX port of your player, set frequency on transmitter, tune your radio to same frequency and done!
      Last edited by mirekmal; 02-28-2011 at 05:06 AM.

4. 02-28-2011 07:46 AM #3
      Thank you for your reply...should have mentioned the 2011s DO NOT have the AUX input. Unfortunate because car was described to me as having capability to play MP3s, not iPods specifically.
      Any other thoughts?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      13 Audi S6 4.0 TFSI
      03-02-2011 07:58 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by toomanycatsndogs View Post
      My Q5 came with a USB cable inserted in a glove compartment port to be connected to an iPod. Is there an adaptor or connector I can use with this USB to play my Zen MP3s? I know there are several complete converter kits which interface with car audios but I want a simpler solution. I've done a few searches for adaptors with no luck. Apparently earlier years had an AUX input, not this year. Any ideas? Thanks
      The cable that you are referring to is the default Audi Music Interface cable that is included with all Audi models and is indeed specific to the iPod/iPhone. There are three other Audi accessory cables available that include USB, mini-USB and headphone ports. You can pick them up from any Audi dealer.
      Tony Smith
      Regina, Canada

Back in a C7!

7. 03-03-2011 11:52 AM #5
      I called my Anchor Audi, Lynbrook, NY dealer and they emphatically stated there IS NO OTHER CABLE available...could I order it from you?
      Thanks again

Cars
      13 Audi S6 4.0 TFSI
      03-03-2011 04:13 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by toomanycatsndogs View Post
      I called my Anchor Audi, Lynbrook, NY dealer and they emphatically stated there IS NO OTHER CABLE available...could I order it from you?
      Thanks again
      Email sent!
      Tony Smith
      Regina, Canada

Back in a C7!