Fourtitude.com - What Did You Do To Your Bicycle Today Thread.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970 LastLast
    Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1739
    1. Senior Member
      03-01-2019 12:10 PM #1676
      Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
      Wife will be running two bottles for her first race. That rear cage holds two bottles. She's moving the tools to the lower cage on the frame.
      I've lost bottles mounted behind the seat on the road, I'd be careful with both hydration bottles mounted there on a gravel bike actually riding off road if that is the plan/race. They are also hard to take in and out if you have cages that will actually hold them securely. I actually try to spend time practicing the swap before each of my races.

Suggestion would be secure tools in one seat cage with a very strong rubber band. Have second bottle there as well secured but maybe more easily removed so she doesn't have to stop to get it out. I'm not sure I would trust those cages to my nutrition/hydration but if bottle is tied down they should be fine.

Love the bike, the satin black is awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      03-01-2019 04:20 PM #1677
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      I've lost bottles mounted behind the seat on the road, I'd be careful with both hydration bottles mounted there on a gravel bike actually riding off road if that is the plan/race. They are also hard to take in and out if you have cages that will actually hold them securely. I actually try to spend time practicing the swap before each of my races.

Suggestion would be secure tools in one seat cage with a very strong rubber band. Have second bottle there as well secured but maybe more easily removed so she doesn't have to stop to get it out. I'm not sure I would trust those cages to my nutrition/hydration but if bottle is tied down they should be fine.

Love the bike, the satin black is awesome.
      Thank you for the input - Since she's so new to riding maybe move them down to the frame. Get the tools in a saddle mount strap.
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

4. Senior Member
      03-01-2019 04:57 PM #1678
      Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
      Thank you for the input - Since she's so new to riding maybe move them down to the frame. Get the tools in a saddle mount strap.
      It took a lot of time to get the GF to be comfortable drinking without stopping and that was normal frame mounts, so yeah if she is new too it probably makes the most sense and I know how you probably feel with getting her comfortable with it. Once she got used to at least drinking she still wasn't great with swapping between a finished bottle and full bottle to the downtube cage. So we had her start a race with a cheap throw a way bottle on the downtube, when done she just chucks it at an aid station and next time she needs a drink takes the seat tube one, but then puts it back on the downtube. Hand ups.. she makes me stand in a parking lot and hand her bottles as she rides around in circles for 30 minutes leading up to every race

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-01-2019 06:42 PM #1679
      Got the brakes upgraded from the stock junk that was on there to some SRAM Guide brakes front and rear, put some bar tape on the Jones bars, new Thomson stem, and a front rack from Surly (8 Pack rack). She's coming along. I let a friends daughter pick the orange bar tape out

Surly Wednesday by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Cars
      03-02-2019 04:08 PM #1680
      Surly Wednesday by Geoff Potter, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Thinking, that looks like Sebago on the Standish side? Dont see my house but some of the places look familiar
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Cars
      MTA Metro Card, Zipcar
      03-03-2019 11:09 PM #1681
      I actually washed my bike after riding in slush and salt, rather than letting it crust over and wreck my drive train.

Cars
      2017 Passat SE
      03-03-2019 11:18 PM #1682
      New kicks! Bora 35s! Now if the weather would cooperate...
      --Pete--

10. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      03-04-2019 09:08 AM #1683
      Quote Originally Posted by teutonicgoodness View Post
      I actually washed my bike after riding in slush and salt, rather than letting it crust over and wreck my drive train.
      Better man than me. All of my bikes are ****ing disgusting right now due to the weather and I don't want my spigot to freeze over in the cold temps that are coming this week.

11. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      03-04-2019 09:25 AM #1684
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Better man than me. All of my bikes are ****ing disgusting right now due to the weather and I don't want my spigot to freeze over in the cold temps that are coming this week.
      To be fair, his bike is brand new. I'm so tired of having to wash my bike. Literally every week it needs it. This week I need to pull the crank on the bmc and grease everything. There's so much sand and grit on the roads: it's just crushing my drive train. On the plus side, I got a new stand a few months ago and it makes it a lot easier

Cars
      1985 Golf GL with a 2.0l 16v, 1990 Corrado G60, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro Avant, 2011 Jetta SE
      03-13-2019 08:24 PM #1685
      So I finished my most recent build -Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2 and rode my first full century using it. The bike is comfortable on long rides, climbs great, and feels fast on the flats.

Now on to another build project. This one is an old school Stumpjumper FSR. One of my favorite frame sets. It's a scant 5.1 lbs without the rear shock. Going to see if I can build a legit ~25lbs cross country bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      1985 MKII Golf GL with 2.0l 16v
      1990 Corrado G60 TEC 2RS
      2011 MKVI Jetta SE
      corradog60project.blogspot.com
      mkiigolfproject.blogspot.com

Cars
      03-15-2019 10:48 AM #1686
      As posted in the Good Deal thread, picked up TWO pairs of DT Swiss rims for $600+shipping. These have the DT350 hubs that just bombproof and heard great things about these XM level rims. Not suprised, they only come with a 18 tooth ratchet, so time to pick up the 36T or 54T ratchet kit (for $100? c'mon!)

Excited to run the 27.5+ wheelset on the Niner, during non-race season

19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Cars
      Bought not built.
      03-18-2019 08:51 PM #1687
      ^ That's one heck of a deal! Nice find.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Signature.

Cars
      Bought not built.
      04-03-2019 09:41 PM #1688
      New saddle today...trying the Fabric Scoop. Bike is all ready for a weekend adventure. Was supposed to be a two day overnight trip but ended up with everyone bailing. Going to solo through ride it (theoretically) in Saturday with no camping. Prob looking at a 150 or so mile ride of mostly dirt.

Signature.

Cars
      06-02-2019 09:09 PM #1689
      Playing with tire sizes on the gravel bike. Swapped my Maxxis Ramblers 40c to Gravelkings SK 35c. On the road much quieter, smoother rolling, slightly faster but pretty harsh on singletrack (even after playing with pressures). After 3 brutal miles riding on fireroad, the 35c isnt going to cut it. If I was going ride more rougher terrain, decided to press my luck and try to stuff the biggest tire I can in the rear.

Based on my measurements, a 42-43c tire would fit with just enough room for mud. Strangely enough there's a Gravelking SK in 43c size. Ordered!

First ride - 50/50 road/offroad. On road can feel the mass when trying to get up to speed but once im rolling its about as fast as the 35c. Road noise slightly increased but expected. What I didnt think about till I was riding was the extra cushioning from road imperfections, my arms/hands felt fresh and didnt need to finesse my body for harder road hits. Off road...OMG almost felt like a mountain bike (with everything locked out) just crushed singletrack without having to pick the right line. Hit a few PRs on his bike that had dozens of attempts on a mountain bike. So yea....the big tires are perfect for my type of riding.

So going from 35c to 40c didnt feel too drastic, but going from 40c to 43c was nite-day difference. Will give the 43c more time on road-heavy rides but feeling I finally got what I wanted out of a gravel bike.

19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

17. Member
      Cars
      06-03-2019 11:20 AM #1690
      Man, I’m a bit jealous that you can fit 43s in your cross bike. I can get a 40c Rambler on my Jake the Snake and it won’t rub on the stand, but as soon as I ride it and flex the wheel/stays the 1/8” I had is not enough.

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      06-10-2019 03:00 PM #1691
      I bought a DVO Sapphire 32 for the Top Fuel:

Currently on sale/closeout. It's too bad green is sold out. http://dvosuspension.com/product/sapphire-32-d1/

It's going to add about a pound to my bike, but I figure if anything is worth weighing more, it's a stiff fork that works well. It was this or a Pike, and the Sapphire was a little less expensive and gets great reviews. The Sid on there now is fine, but I've not been able to get it where I want.

Now I need to go buy a 180mm front rotor. What's happening to me?

19. Member
      Cars
      06-11-2019 08:51 AM #1692
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      What's happening to me?
      Enduro. Enduro is happening to you.

Cars
      06-11-2019 09:31 AM #1693
      Enduro. Enduro is happening to you.
      Yeah, I find myself shopping for Tacomas and Dakine pads now too. Maybe a flat brim hat, a flannel shirt, hastily cut off jorts, and some funny tall socks too. Or is that a stereotype of some other type of rider? I get that stuff confused.

Really though, I'm old and things hurt. This should make them hurt less, hopefully. And who'd have thought that REI would be the cheapest place to buy brake rotors? They're like $10 less than anywhere else.

21. Member
      Cars
      06-11-2019 10:12 AM #1694
      Really though, I'm old and things hurt. This should make them hurt less, hopefully. And who'd have thought that REI would be the cheapest place to buy brake rotors? They're like $10 less than anywhere else.
      You know, on my old SID, my wrists would always bother me about the time that my fork needed to be rebuilt. Could it just be that the ol' SID needs some loving?

Cars
      06-11-2019 10:38 AM #1695
      You know, on my old SID, my wrists would always bother me about the time that my fork needed to be rebuilt. Could it just be that the ol' SID needs some loving?
      Maybe, but I already bought the DVO. I also want something less flexy and with more travel. I tried that 120 Reba RL a while ago, but this fork should be quite a bit nicer.

And we both know that I'm going to buy a rowdy hardtail frame at some point. I'm getting a head start on parts.

23. Member
      Cars
      06-11-2019 10:58 AM #1696
      And we both know that I'm going to buy a rowdy hardtail frame at some point. I'm getting a head start on parts.
      Now we're talking. I'll sell you my Chameleon frame when I'm tired of it in a few months.

Cars
      06-11-2019 12:18 PM #1697
      Now we're talking. I'll sell you my Chameleon frame when I'm tired of it in a few months.
      Huh. That's when I was planning on selling you the DVO. We'll have to talk.

In other news, I replaced the quickly-spent ABEC 3 bottom bracket bearings in the Top Fuel. I went with angular contact bearings, which are supposed to be more durable. One thing that is easy is R&Ring bearings in the precisely-machined cups on the Wheels Manufacturing BB . It's much better than trying to press anything into a crappily inconsistent Trek bottom bracket shell.

****. The bearings are from... Enduro.

25. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-24-2019 01:01 PM #1698
      Replaced worn Continental GP 4-seasons with Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=230998-156469
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Cars
      Bought not built.
      07-15-2019 04:23 PM #1699
      Listed my Monocog for sale. Hate doing it but could use the money for my 244 and it just sits unused in my office.

Signature.

Cars
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      07-15-2019 09:19 PM #1700
      Swapped the stock HiTen bars off my kids bike for S&M Slam bars with a Rant Spring II brake kit, Odyssey Twisted PC pedals and put proper axle nuts and washers on the back to keep the chain tight
      https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/diamond_back/103698

on my Sunday Model C, I put some proper axle nuts (again, same as above) and some new bar ends on it. nothing fancy.
      Trying to figure out my future colors and potential decals/paint choices on my Sunday Model C.
      I have some really nice wheels on it that are black rims with red nipples, black spokes and flat red hubs. They currently match my seat post, pedals and chainwheel. I'm itching to do a splatter paint (early 90s style) or some kind of 80s style decal set. I hate the decal set on the 2010 Sunday Model C. It's so boring and with the silver paint it's just so boring.
      https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sunday/103372

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970 LastLast