Fourtitude.com - What did you do to your A3?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 367 of 368 FirstFirst ... 267317357363364365366367368 LastLast
    Results 9,151 to 9,175 of 9179
    1. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      07-06-2019 01:44 PM #9151
      What I'm planning to do is install replacement LED license plate lamps. I'd already done this before and they were nice & bright... for over 5 years. Then suddenly, the right one went out. The reason? Weird. The LED emitters simply "fell off" the board. Anyway, I was going to buy the "GemPro" ones off Amazon, but wondering if anyone here found a better substitute?


      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2017
      Location
      Hampstead, MD
      Posts
      118
      Cars
      2008 Audi A3 3.2 VR6
      07-26-2019 08:29 PM #9152
      New spark plugs & tube seals
      Cabin air filter
      DSG service
      Haldex service
      Oil & filter
      Fuel filter
      New AC compressor
      Replaced valve cover gasket
      Replaced PCV membrane
      2x strut mounts & bearings
      H&R sway bars, front & rear
      Replaced lower front control arm bushings, ball joints
      ARP subframe dead set kit
      2x OEM subframe pucks
      Alignment
      ECS Street Shield

      That should do it for a while...
      2008 Audi A3 Quattro 3.2 VR6

    4. 07-28-2019 12:44 AM #9153
      Haven’t posted here in a while. Added a front lip spoiler a few weeks ago and just finished adding an RS3 replica spoiler


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. Member daniel.ramirez's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2001
      Location
      México
      Posts
      577
      Cars
      2009 A3, 2015 A1
      07-29-2019 06:21 PM #9154
      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      but wondering if anyone here found a better substitute?
      What about these from the A5?

      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...eft/4h0943021/
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ght/4h0943022/

      Not cheap, but OEM quality, been using them for years with no problems.
      2009 A3 S-line, RNS-E, Unitronic, and some more stuff... and now a 2015 A1, let the retrofits begin!

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2015
      Location
      Massachusetts
      Posts
      39
      Cars
      2006 A3 2.0T FSI
      07-31-2019 03:39 PM #9155

      OEM Audi TT Short Shiffter



      Metal Shifter Bushings







      034 Rubber Transmission/Motor Mounts w/custom bracket to hold 42 Draft Design catch can.
      -DMeas

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2015
      Location
      Massachusetts
      Posts
      39
      Cars
      2006 A3 2.0T FSI
      07-31-2019 03:52 PM #9156



      HPA 75a Dogbone mount




      Eibach Pro-Kit w/Bilsteins paired w/18" BBS CK wheels
      Last edited by iKhmaiFoSho; 07-31-2019 at 04:09 PM.
      -DMeas

    8. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      08-01-2019 10:45 AM #9157
      Quote Originally Posted by daniel.ramirez View Post
      What about these from the A5?

      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...eft/4h0943021/
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ght/4h0943022/

      Not cheap, but OEM quality, been using them for years with no problems.
      $80 for the pair... and aftermarket is often $20 or less a pair (Amazon or eBay). Since my aftermarket LED license plate assembly lasted 6 years, I think I'll just deal with that. I don't expect I'll still have the A3 in another 5 years (will probably be onto electric by then).
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    9. Member
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2016
      Posts
      167
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      08-03-2019 10:00 PM #9158
      Changed oil and replaced oil level sensor. Hope this resolves my Low Oil Pressure issue.

      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

    10. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-04-2019 09:22 PM #9159
      Decided to try cutting the left side hatch trim in front of the subwoofer, and putting a speaker grille over the hole:



      It actually improves the sound

    11. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      08-05-2019 09:39 AM #9160
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      Decided to try cutting the left side hatch trim in front of the subwoofer, and putting a speaker grille over the hole:



      It actually improves the sound
      Nice work -- looks OEM. Is that the original subwoofer or a replacement? Also, I like that cargo mat you've got.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    12. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-05-2019 12:58 PM #9161
      It's the original Bose subwoofer speaker, in the original position, used with the Bose system in the Symphony 2 head unit. The cargo mat is a match for the floor mats up front: OEM, obtained originally from Audi Accessories. Harder to find these days, but the cargo mat is really tough, so it should last! I've gone through replacement of the front floor mats, but the rear floor mats don't get enough "traffic" to wear.

      Only pic of floor mats (during the TT seat install )



      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      Nice work -- looks OEM. Is that the original subwoofer or a replacement? Also, I like that cargo mat you've got.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2017
      Location
      Hampstead, MD
      Posts
      118
      Cars
      2008 Audi A3 3.2 VR6
      08-05-2019 06:33 PM #9162
      Quote Originally Posted by atrociousa3 View Post
      Haven’t posted here in a while. Added a front lip spoiler a few weeks ago and just finished adding an RS3 replica spoiler


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Where'd you source that RS3 valance??? Cost?
      2008 Audi A3 Quattro 3.2 VR6

    14. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      08-05-2019 07:47 PM #9163
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      It's the original Bose subwoofer speaker, in the original position, used with the Bose system in the Symphony 2 head unit. The cargo mat is a match for the floor mats up front: OEM, obtained originally from Audi Accessories. Harder to find these days, but the cargo mat is really tough, so it should last! I've gone through replacement of the front floor mats, but the rear floor mats don't get enough "traffic" to wear.

      Only pic of floor mats (during the TT seat install )
      I haven't looked at my subwoofer in a long time, but if it's a standard size, I'm guessing there's quite a few sources where you can get a grille that fits. Where'd you find yours?

      Ah yes, the TT seats. I'd forgotten that you did it. I had black baseball optic seats in my Audi TTQR and absolutely loved them. Very good lateral and lumbar support. Before I traded in the TTQR, I was so tempted to buy some fair condition plain charcoal gray TT seats and swap them in place, keeping the baseball optic ones. Now I wish I'd done it as they're nearly impossible to get these days.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    15. 08-05-2019 08:30 PM #9164
      Quote Originally Posted by A3 Wannabe View Post
      Where'd you source that RS3 valance??? Cost?
      eBay. Think I paid like 95$ including shipping. Most these sellers are overseas. Seller I got it from was in Greece. Took almost a month to get here.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    16. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-06-2019 01:11 AM #9165
      I took the easy way out: Amazon. Quite a selection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      The TT seats, you know it! Practically the best "mod" I've done...

      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      I haven't looked at my subwoofer in a long time, but if it's a standard size, I'm guessing there's quite a few sources where you can get a grille that fits. Where'd you find yours?

      Ah yes, the TT seats. I'd forgotten that you did it. I had black baseball optic seats in my Audi TTQR and absolutely loved them. Very good lateral and lumbar support. Before I traded in the TTQR, I was so tempted to buy some fair condition plain charcoal gray TT seats and swap them in place, keeping the baseball optic ones. Now I wish I'd done it as they're nearly impossible to get these days.

    17. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      08-06-2019 10:00 AM #9166
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      I took the easy way out: Amazon. Quite a selection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1The TT seats, you know it! Practically the best "mod" I've done...
      And that's an all metal speaker grille with ABS plastic surround, right? Does the subwoofer have to be re-positioned so that you can affix the grille to it? Or is the subwoofer already flush to the outer panel?

      If I'd had a black interior, I probably would have cannibalized the baseball optic seats on my former TTQR... but my interior is "platinum", a kind of silvery beige. The seats would've looked out of place. Actually would really like to cover them with the Alcantara style that one other member did here, in a 2-tone setup. Since my A3 interior is 2-tone (dash and door arms are charcoal, while seating and carpet is platinum), it could actually work.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    18. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-06-2019 09:44 PM #9167
      The original subwoofer is designed to be where it is To maintain the "economic adjustment," no repositioning is occuring. The subwoofer is roughly 1/2" behind the trim panel. With the appropriately sized and length tube, you could isolate the subwoofer from the trim panel, for sure. I did not do that, as the improvement in the sound is very good by just opening the panel to the cabin.

      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      And that's an all metal speaker grille with ABS plastic surround, right? Does the subwoofer have to be re-positioned so that you can affix the grille to it? Or is the subwoofer already flush to the outer panel?

      If I'd had a black interior, I probably would have cannibalized the baseball optic seats on my former TTQR... but my interior is "platinum", a kind of silvery beige. The seats would've looked out of place. Actually would really like to cover them with the Alcantara style that one other member did here, in a 2-tone setup. Since my A3 interior is 2-tone (dash and door arms are charcoal, while seating and carpet is platinum), it could actually work.
      For sure! The Alcantara centers make the seats grabby, and the warmth is increased immensely. I have yet to hook up the proper seat wiring to enable the seat heaters and have not experienced any discomfort! Of course, this is south of LA. If I was in New England, I would make the effort!

    19. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      08-07-2019 10:46 AM #9168
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      The original subwoofer is designed to be where it is To maintain the "economic adjustment," no repositioning is occuring. The subwoofer is roughly 1/2" behind the trim panel. With the appropriately sized and length tube, you could isolate the subwoofer from the trim panel, for sure. I did not do that, as the improvement in the sound is very good by just opening the panel to the cabin.
      Good to know. I thought maybe if the sub woofer was set back further from the trim panel, you'd need to rig up a bracket to bring it out enough. Only 1/2" clearance sounds very workable with the trim panel having some give to it.
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      For sure! The Alcantara centers make the seats grabby, and the warmth is increased immensely. I have yet to hook up the proper seat wiring to enable the seat heaters and have not experienced any discomfort! Of course, this is south of LA. If I was in New England, I would make the effort!
      I'm in the Northeast, and the heated seat function in the A3 sport seats works great. Too powerful, actually. I never go to '6'. On the coldest days, I set it to '3' or '4', for just a few minutes, then have to roll it down to '2'. On cold but not butt freezing days, I'll set it to '1'.

      So the TT seats bolted easily into place, but then there were electrical challenges. Aside from the heating system, were you able to get the airbag sensor worked out on the passenger seat?

      If I'd known about the Alcantara coverings within a few years of owning my A3, I probably would have made the investment and effort to get them (my A3 ownership just hit 12 years). On my next Audi (or VW), I will definitely make a point of selecting something with an Alcantara option, or, compatible for a swap.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    20. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-07-2019 05:21 PM #9169
      Mine came with the sport seats too, and the heaters were superb, as you say.

      The seats bolted directly in, but the electrical connectors are of a different shape, etc. You have to get another set of A3 plugs and move the TT wires to them. The airbag sensor simply worked with the wiring diagram I followed: the seat heaters have the corrected wiring in the TT seat thread by JRutter. The seat position motors worked fine (my wife was bummed that the seat would not go back as far as the A3 seats did!)

      Here in SoCal, the Alcantara has mooted the need for seat heaters, but when I have less to do (yeah, right) I will correct the wiring.

      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      Good to know. I thought maybe if the sub woofer was set back further from the trim panel, you'd need to rig up a bracket to bring it out enough. Only 1/2" clearance sounds very workable with the trim panel having some give to it.
      I'm in the Northeast, and the heated seat function in the A3 sport seats works great. Too powerful, actually. I never go to '6'. On the coldest days, I set it to '3' or '4', for just a few minutes, then have to roll it down to '2'. On cold but not butt freezing days, I'll set it to '1'.

      So the TT seats bolted easily into place, but then there were electrical challenges. Aside from the heating system, were you able to get the airbag sensor worked out on the passenger seat?

      If I'd known about the Alcantara coverings within a few years of owning my A3, I probably would have made the investment and effort to get them (my A3 ownership just hit 12 years). On my next Audi (or VW), I will definitely make a point of selecting something with an Alcantara option, or, compatible for a swap.

    21. Member skotti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2005
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      2,421
      Cars
      2006 A3 2.0T MT w/ Lots of Mods
      08-08-2019 09:32 AM #9170
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      Mine came with the sport seats too, and the heaters were superb, as you say.

      The seats bolted directly in, but the electrical connectors are of a different shape, etc. You have to get another set of A3 plugs and move the TT wires to them. The airbag sensor simply worked with the wiring diagram I followed: the seat heaters have the corrected wiring in the TT seat thread by JRutter. The seat position motors worked fine (my wife was bummed that the seat would not go back as far as the A3 seats did!)

      Here in SoCal, the Alcantara has mooted the need for seat heaters, but when I have less to do (yeah, right) I will correct the wiring.
      Couple additional comments- JRutter did the legwork for the wiring diagram, it may be posted in a thread somewhere here in the Forum (or PM him and see if he still has ti?)- it was very easy to do, I used the plugs from my old seats.
      Another small benefit of TT seats- as they were made for a 2 door with a back seat, you can release/push the seatback forward, comes in handy if you are carry cargo that doesn't quite fit
      Friends don't let friends drive stock.
      2006 A3 2.0T 6MT with LOTS of mods

    22. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-08-2019 01:37 PM #9171
      I really appreciate a new Panasonic head unit I put in my '99 PreRunner: it has a USB input. So I put a Dension Gateway Lite into the A3 to gain a USB input.



      The Symphony 2 comes ready for the extra CD player in the upper left glovebox cubby, which the Dension harness takes advantage of. It's basically plug and play, except for Dremeling the existing opening in the removable cubby piece to fit the plug that connects to the Dension unit.

      For the USB drives, you can set up a folder system (FAT32 formatted) to make access to genres, etc. easier. Took a bit of trial and error, due to my part , but now I don't need to shuffle CD's. Right now it's just sitting on my bluetooth dongle for VAD, but I've got ideas to attach it to the roof of the cubby.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2016
      Posts
      167
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      08-08-2019 11:21 PM #9172
      I bought the grille off Amazon, the same pictures were used as BFI uses on their website except Amazon was almost $200 less. I scheduled to have it installed at a local body shop but then that DIY bumper removal showed up and I realized how easy it was. For half the cost of the body shop, I bought a jack and stands and did it myself. Now I have them to do other things too. My ramps work well but jack and stands are much better.







      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

    24. Member absolutt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Location
      Hoboken, NJ USA
      Posts
      355
      Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      08-14-2019 05:11 PM #9173
      On the older A3's... the Audi "inverse trapezoid" emblem on the steering wheel airbag cover suffers an erosion to the satin finish. I'm never rough on my steering wheel, but somehow over time, the emblem started to peel... and it only got worse over time. First the "clear coat" on it peeled. Underneath, the silver coating looked pretty solid so when that outer clear peeling started to happen enough, I peeling the rest of it off. But apparently it was there for a reason, as the silver coating started to wear away pretty quickly, revealing a dull off-white plastic.

      I'd looked at some posts about this a few years back (LINK), where people used vinyl coverings to "freshen up" the emblem. I initially tried it, but it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. All it would take is a few random glance blows when the temperature is very warm, and the vinyl would suffer abrasions. So I resorted to an interesting replacement -- a thin metal cover to go over it. About $6 shipped from a Chinese seller. It was "almost" a perfect fit. Maybe 99% of the way there. It was maybe 1 mm too large. Anyway, I was able to place it in just the right way so that it looked pretty good. Excellent, in fact. It lasted almost a year... when a random "glancing blow" caused a dent in it. OK, so I figured I'd just buy another. $6 isn't much.

      More recently, I'd read about someone getting their driver's side airbag replaced under the recall and Audi service had replaced the cover as part of the service. I'd read at least one person where this didn't happen... so I kept my fingers crossed when I dropped my car off with Audi for the airbag recall.

      SUCCESS!


      By the way... the Audi service rep told me something interesting. To paraphrase: "When we took off the steering wheel airbag cover, we noticed you'd put some kind of aftermarket metal cover on the Audi emblem. That's really dangerous. When the airbag goes off, the cover splits open."

      "The adhesive metal cover could interfere with that process and do one or two things: The airbag gets punctured and doesn't deploy properly, or the emblem gets blown off and hits you... possibly in the face."

      YIKES. So, be warned... do not modify your airbag cover with metal emblems.
      Last edited by absolutt; 08-15-2019 at 12:18 PM.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

    25. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Posts
      1,468
      Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2 ........................................ Schricked
      08-14-2019 09:25 PM #9174
      [
      Today was a good day!

      QUOTE=absolutt;113619705]

      SUCCESS!


      By the way... the Audi service rep told me something interesting. To paraphrase: "When we took off the steering wheel airbag cover, we noticed you'd put some kind of aftermarket metal cover on the Audi emblem. That's really dangerous. When the airbag goes off, the cover splits open."

      "The adhesive metal cover could interfere with that process and do one or two things: The airbag gets punctured and doesn't deploy properly, or the emblem gets blown off and hits you... possibly in the face."

      YIKES. So, be warned... do not modify your airbag cover with metal emblems.[/QUOTE]

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Posts
      1,374
      Cars
      2008.5 A3 2.0T FWD (RIP), 2013 A3 2.0T quattro
      08-18-2019 07:04 PM #9175
      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      What I'm planning to do is install replacement LED license plate lamps. I'd already done this before and they were nice & bright... for over 5 years. Then suddenly, the right one went out. The reason? Weird. The LED emitters simply "fell off" the board. Anyway, I was going to buy the "GemPro" ones off Amazon, but wondering if anyone here found a better substitute?
      Did you replace them already? The factory/OEM ones are really the best ones, if you need the part# let me know I could find it again. Pretty sure the factory ones are pretty bulletproof; plus they're not insanely bright like the aftermarket ones.

      Regarding plate lights, my only problem is my left-hand plate light is an R.CAM which comes with an LED in it, the right one (which I replaced with an OEM LED module) is just a different colour. The OEM one is slightly brighter but not by much, largely owing to the fact that the camera one is smaller. That's not a huge problem. However the colour is the real bugger--the camera one has a bluish cast to it while the factory one is more white.

      My only idea is to put some kind of blue film on the OE one to see if I can get a closer match. I mean I've been driving around like this for about a year and it's not like I have to look at it all the time so it's not really a huge deal, but it just looks a bit dumb.

    Page 367 of 368 FirstFirst ... 267317357363364365366367368 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •