VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

245 wide tires on a Mk4?

20K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dcoke99 
#1 ·
Anyone ever run 245/40/17's on a Mk4? Fender clearance issues? I'm thinking of moving up to STX this year.

Lowered on H&R Sport springs too.

#2 ·
I autocross and track on 240/40/18 slicks on 8.5 inch wide 5 x 100 BBS CH's with spacer's and I have no issues. I am running negative 1.75 degrees in the rear and nearly negative 3 degrees up front.

:thumbup:

#4 · (Edited)
Goodluck! I used to track a MK4 wagon :screwy:

Exiting the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca :thumbup:

#6 ·
They must look a little balloonish, ya? That's maxing out a 7.5 inch wide wheel. Most 235's I've mounted to a 7.5 inch wheel is borderline.

#8 ·
245's on a 7 inch wheel? :eek:

I would think you would start to loose performance at that point; even with a stiff sidewall, I would think the turn in would feel sloppy and numb.

#9 ·
That's pretty normal for R-comps on stock wheels. As he mentioned, A6's have a much stiffer sidewall than any ST tires, so common fitment rules don't always apply.

There's a guy on another forum selling a set of 15x6 SSR's with 225/45-15 A6's mounted. Those look a bit like baloons (according to TR, min rim is 6.5"), but apparently they work.

#10 ·
Not only do Hoosiers have super stiff sidewalls, they also have a cantilevered bead that helps them mount better on the skinnier wheels.

I've run 225s on a 6" wide wheel on my stock class Miata and 285s on an 8" wide wheel on my RX8. They both worked great.

I'm running 255s on 17x9 wheels on my MK4, but I had to pull the hell out of the fenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.