Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-15-2010 04:55 PM #1
      Several magazines have driven the 1M test mule at this point, and have had good things to say about it.

I'm disappointed with the speculated power output, but everything else seems to be pretty damn good.

Unofficial specs:
      N54 engine making ~340Hp
      0-60 in 4.3
      3300lbs
      LSD
      M3 Brakes and suspension
      Manual transmission only
      CF roof may be an option, but not standard
      Top speed governer increased to 168MPH
      $43-45k

Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rototype_drive

Underneath, the 1-series M uses the M3’s aluminum rear suspension, including its limited-slip differential. Stability is excellent, thanks to the increased front and rear track, stiffer springs and dampers, and wider Michelin Pilot Sport tires (245/55-19 in front, 265/35-19 out back). The car feels planted in high-speed corners and at autobahn speeds. Despite the firmer suspension, the ride is never uncomfortable, just like the M3. We liked the sharp steering, which may get a second, lower-effort setting accessible through the M button.

In an inspired bit of cost-containment, the 1-series M coupe comes only with the regular six-speed manual gearbox—there will be no dual-clutch transmission option. The six-speed’s silky operation is rewarding in the extreme, but the lack of a dual-clutch transmission may hurt sales with those who need to shave precious tenths off their ‘Ring times. As it is, the car feels plenty fast. BMW claims that this 3308-pound machine will sprint from 0 to 62 mph in 4.3 seconds. Top speed will be governed to 155 mph, but there will be an option to raise Vmax to 168 mph, as with other M cars.
      Edmunds:

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/1-seri...rst-drive.html

Stump-Puller
      Never mind the interior, though. It's the mechanical package, and in particular the driveline, that will be the real focus when the 1 Series M Coupe reaches North American showrooms next year. Based closely around that already used by the 135i coupe, it runs a heavily tuned version of BMW's N54 engine mounted longitudinally up front and delivering drive to the rear wheels. Details pertaining to the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder direct-injection gasoline unit haven't been made official. However, Inside Line understands it develops close to 350 horsepower — or 44 hp more than the standard engine in the 135i and some 57 hp less than the naturally aspirated 4.0-liter V8-powered M3.

The 1 Series M Coupe also operates on a higher dynamic plane than the 135i coupe.
      First impressions once you've slotted the key into the ignition and hit the starter button are more than encouraging. The reworked engine is extraordinarily strong within the lower end of the rev range thanks to its solid reserves of torque. Again, BMW is not prepared to divulge too much prior to its official unveiling, but there are whispers that the 1 Series M Coupe has as much as 350 pound-feet of torque, or significantly more than both the 135i coupe and M3's 294 lb-ft. As the torque is delivered at just 1,400 rpm, the new BMW requires little commitment from the driver to appreciate the added performance.

But while its part-throttle properties are truly impressive, it is under boost, when its two turbochargers are spooling up, where the 1 Series M Coupe really comes alive. Planting your right foot at middling revs unleashes a heady rush of acceleration fully befitting its billing as the spiritual successor to BMW M division's original M3. The reworked engine doesn't mind being worked hard, either; the delivery remains strong all the way to the 7,000-rpm cutout point.
      Motor Trend:
      http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz11oNnLwYw

Photoshopped images:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-15-2010 04:56 PM #2

Cars
      1988 BMW 535is
      10-15-2010 04:59 PM #3
      No doubt I'll be one of the only people not here to bash the damn thing, but I'm glad they're doing this. The numbers are pretty impressive for such a small car. It's still a little heavy but honestly this is a great step in the right direction for BMW
      1988 535is

5. Former Advertiser
      Cars
      Mk6 GolfR, Q7 4.2, G60 Corrado, 5.0 Fox, '55 Roadmaster, R52 JCW
      10-15-2010 05:02 PM #4
      BMW 1M or 2012 Boss302? Hmmm.

10-15-2010 05:03 PM #5
      I'll just leave this here.

Shaun's 2011 Mustang GT by Steven Pham Photography, on Flickr

Cars
      10-15-2010 05:03 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Lepsis3942 View Post
      No doubt I'll be one of the only people not here to bash the damn thing, but I'm glad they're doing this. The numbers are pretty impressive for such a small car. It's still a little heavy but honestly this is a great step in the right direction for BMW
      I'd like to have seen a little more weight come off as well, but with modern crash standards this seems to be the lower limit without going to something stripped down, or getting exotic. Do I really need eight airbags in a 1 Series?

The car's in a strange class in this country. There's really not another 4 seater out there this size that's RWD. I'm really interested in test driving it to see how it compares to a tuned 135i.

Cars
      9.5 Brannock
      10-15-2010 05:08 PM #7
      That price seems a little too good to be true. A decently equipped 135i is over $40k.

10-15-2010 05:13 PM #8
      There is a very big problem with this car, as well as the M3. This has stolen the thunder, for 10 grand less:

And it will likely be cheaper to run, modify, and keep on a long term basis.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      10-15-2010 05:14 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR View Post
      That price seems a little too good to be true. A decently equipped 135i is over $40k.
      Yeah, but that's starting price. A 135i starts under $37k, so there's some seperation there. Keep in mind that unlike the M3 this doesn't have a special engine that's adding a lot of cost over the standard car.

I would expect these will be selling for around $52k most of the time.

Cars
      1988 BMW 535is
      10-15-2010 05:17 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      There is a very big problem with this car, as well as the M3. This has stolen the thunder, for 10 grand less:

Not comparable to the 1M. Different size classes and I would still prefer the 1M to the Mustang. I've never driven either, just going off of my knowledge of what makes me happy.
      1988 535is

Cars
      2015 981 GTS, 2017 Taco TRD Sport
      10-15-2010 05:18 PM #11
      IB4MustangIsBettarzzzz!!

Damn, no I'm not.

Seriously though, I have absolutely no care or attraction for the mustang at all. But, I will be taking a long hard look at the 1M when it comes out and deciding if I want to take the hit to upgrade.

BMW, looks good so far.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -H. L. Mencken

Cars
      10-15-2010 05:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post

It may be cheaper to run, but it's not going to be cheaper to modify. You'll be able to add AT LEAST 60WHp to the 1M for less than $1500 with a tune and a set of downpipes. If they've put larger turbos on it (which it sounds like they have because of the increased redline) you'll probably see gains more like 100WHp with just a tune.

You won't get that out of the Mustang without forced induction, and at that point you're looking at $4k.

And keep in mind the 1M is 300lbs lighter than the Mustang.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Mustang, and it's serious competition, but lets not pretend that there aren't things other than performance that are considered when buying a car. There's an additional level of refinement with BMW that may or may not matter to you, but it is there. My biggest issue with the Mustang is just the fact that there's so damn many of them. I've always liked having cars that are a little less common.
      Last edited by justanotherusername; 10-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.

14. 10-15-2010 05:40 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post

That looks gorgeous. What is the probability that the final product looks like this?

Cars
      2008 BMW 135i
      10-15-2010 05:57 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by FILTERED78 View Post
      That looks gorgeous. What is the probability that the final product looks like this?
      The headlights I bet will be the same as on the current car, and the side mirrors will not be that small. Otherwise I'd be it's close. The wider fenders I'd expect would look better than that p-chop, if anything.

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      10-15-2010 06:04 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by sdpauly View Post
      Seriously though, I have absolutely no care or attraction for the mustang at all. But, I will be taking a long hard look at the 1M when it comes out and deciding if I want to take the hit to upgrade.
      Thank you for being the person that no other person besides me seems to realize exists.

People looking for a small, entry level BMW that's sporty, WILL LOOK AT THE 1M.

People looking for a Mustang, WILL BUY A MUSTANG!

Everyone keeps comparing the two, I like both. But I really have never heard of someone thinking...hmmm Mustang or BMW 1M? I understand why they're compared, I just don't understand why it's not simply a mental dialogue...this comparison rarely plays out in real life, so get over it.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

17. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      10-15-2010 06:09 PM #16
      exactly, even if the mustang was better in every which way, it wouldnt matter. the majority of people that look at M series arent even looking at the mustang.

go on the bmw forums and ask how many people love the new mustang and see what they say. they dont give a flying **** about it

Cars
      10-15-2010 06:10 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      I just don't understand why it's not simply a mental dialogue...this comparison rarely plays out in real life, so get over it.
      It happens all the time. There are plenty of 135i owners who's bought the new Mustang, and the comparision is made constantly on the 1 Series forums between the 1M and the Mustang. It's a perfectly legit comparision to make.

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      10-15-2010 06:13 PM #18
      It happens all the time. There are plenty of 135i owners who's bought the new Mustang, and the comparision is made constantly on the 1 Series forums between the 1M and the Mustang. It's a perfectly legit comparision to make.
      I stand by my statement.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      10-15-2010 06:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      go on the bmw forums and ask how many people love the new mustang and see what they say. they dont give a flying **** about it
      You obviously haven't been on the forums you're telling people to look at. It comes up ALL THE TIME. Not everyone who drives a BMW is a complete brand whore.

21 Pages on this one:
      http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=Mustang

Cars
      10-15-2010 06:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      I stand by my statement.
      You don't think current 135i owners are going to be the biggest market for the M1? Or you think everyone on the forums is just lying about it and won't buy either?

Cars
      2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
      10-15-2010 06:22 PM #21
      wonder how much to take her down to, say ~3000 lbs?

wonder how much to take her up to, say ~420 hp?

now i bet we're firmly in M3 territory. and i bet it's worth it (lighter, as powerful, but what about everything else that makes an M3 an M3).
      function/form

23. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      10-15-2010 06:38 PM #22
      You obviously haven't been on the forums you're telling people to look at. It comes up ALL THE TIME. Not everyone who drives a BMW is a complete brand whore.

21 Pages on this one:
      http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=Mustang
      83% vs 16 % proves me right

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      10-15-2010 06:42 PM #23
      You don't think current 135i owners are going to be the biggest market for the M1? Or you think everyone on the forums is just lying about it and won't buy either?
      You're taking my words and running with them. I bolded FORUMS. That's what I'm saying. Pick a person out at random one day and ask them if they're on any forums about their car...Chances are they'll look at you confused.

Obviously 1 series owners are going to lean towards the 1M.

Not sure why you're being argumentative really, I said I like the car. I know they get bashed around here and the side I'm proposing is that scoffing at the 1M because the Mustang exists is silly. (i.e. I'm on your side here)

Cars
      2016 TTS
      10-15-2010 06:43 PM #24
      0-60 in 4.3 seconds is really impressive.

Hmmm.... how many other BMWs have there been that could beat that? I don't think the M5 or M6 can.

Cars
      10-15-2010 06:43 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      wonder how much to take her down to, say ~3000 lbs?

wonder how much to take her up to, say ~420 hp?

now i bet we're firmly in M3 territory. and i bet it's worth it (lighter, as powerful, but what about everything else that makes an M3 an M3).
      You'll never get it down to 3000lbs without stripping the interior out and doing extensive weight reduction on the body, and maybe not even then.

420Hp will be easy. The 135i is capable of that with a $600 tune. My car's a lot faster in a straight line than an M3 as it sits right now.

The rest of the stuff that makes an M3 and M3 is going to be on the 1M. It's using the same brakes, suspension, seats, and LSD. What's lacking is an engine with a high redline though.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast